Does Adaptive Training Use Heartrate Info

Yep could be!

I played around with it a lot. Probably some specific reasons I ended up with my approach. I think it might of been to do with the definition of Power/HR in Z2 but can’t remember. Might also of been something to do with the filtering.

Either way I just tried it and works with my filtering settings it seems also - good catch! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks @ojtCycling and @Quaestor. I was able to build my own plot in intervals with this.

Q: I only recently started structured training in the last two season. This year is the longest I’ve done structured training. So I’m always been in the ‘easy/steady gains’ phase. Do you guys have any experience with what they trends do long term? I guess if you’re consistent and train right and see some power gains, you should see an increase in this ratio all the way to your genetic potential. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Think I found the reason why I was not using the Power/HR in Z2 plot @Quaestor - having coincidently checked a z2 ride this morning, I noted it was not being given a Power/HR in Z2 value and investigated further.

The Power/HR in Z2 looks at exactly that - time spent with your HR in Z2…now we all know how individual and/ or misaligned HR zones can be to Power zones and I noticed that my HR for this endurance ride was actually below my Z2 HR zone threshold…a good sign for me as it comes after base block and recovery time, but means that It was not picked up in Power/ HR in Z2 plot.

I think I experienced this before and is why I reverted to to the Power/HR and Efficiency (NP/HR) metrics as it accounted for all Power and HR values and I just filtered it by my endurance rides.

1 Like

It would be nice if @davidtinker could customize this indicator with check boxes…so for our purposes we would include HR z1,z2.

1 Like

Would be interesting to see how that worked out. I would be worried that Z1 might pull in a lot of spurious data (riding slowly towards a red light and so on). The power/HR data points that go into the curve get a lot of cleaning to get good data.

1 Like

Is there an update on this? How is this being used now that it is almost two years later? I have an ant+ HRM that is used for outdoor rides, but I’d have to buy a BT one for use with trainerroad.

You could just by a Ant+ dongle and maybe a USB adapter for Android/iOS for TR inside (On a PC/Laptop you only need the dongle). But I don’t think AT does anything with you HR still.

1 Like

Hey there!

@HLaB got it right here – at this time, Adaptive Training is still driven by power data. AI FTP Detection can be influenced by HRM data, but it is principally affected by power data as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, but a Dongle that works with WIndows 11 almost costs as much as base HRM. I’ve got an old garmin one, but does not work with 11 or android

Hmm, so Ai-FTP can be partially influenced by HR… Wish I knew just how much.

It wouldn’t surprise me Window 11 seemed a pile of p1sh when I was trying to get RGT to run on it and I had to jump through hoops to do so. I was fortunate though my old dongle from what was originally a windows 7 pc (upgraded to Windows 10) worked no issue when I got the Windows 11 one.