Dirty Kanza 2020 Discussion, Training & Racing (DK200)

Just FYI, I went to the DK camp last year right after Lifetime purchased DK.

1. LifeTime is NOT going to be expanding the amount of people. They are happy with ~2000 total people, they know that the area can’t really handle more people. Will the race get more expensive. I bet. Will people pay it, I bet.

2. The race has brought in about 100 full time jobs to the Emporia area. With it being a fairly small town. I really doubt that the community is going to start hating on the race, regardless of if ONE of the founders was ousted. Jim Cummins may have some self improvement to do. But, I met him, he’s a very nice individual and he was proud of his race. Regardless of whether he works on it or not, I cannot believe that he would try to sabotage the race. I’m also assuming that during his departure he signed something which would have negative ramifications for him.

3. They’ve already entrenched their two routes with the local community. They’re going to go north for 2 years and south for 2 years and switch back and fourth. They spent a lot of time and effort making sure they can use these routes. So I don’t think they’re going to be moving this race from Emporia.

So, will there be a race named Dirty Kanza again? Nope.

Will we be using those same two courses with 1000 people doing the 200 miler… Yes.

My numbered points are based on either official announcements which you can find on the website, news letter, in their Facebook group or in the camp. It is not all my ‘opinion’.

My ‘opinion’ long story short, is that there is too much money coming into that town because of the bike race, official and unofficial bike camps and tourism that it has generated.

1 Like