Did a smart trainer improve your training?

I went from wheel on to Kickr and while it hasn’t changed my performance it’s just a nicer experience and I don’t dread getting on the trainer like I used to

2 Likes

Direct drive smart trainer is very convenient. Just like electronic shifting… But not necessary to get a good workout. I faced the same dilemna, and I chose to invest in a good DD smart trainer (Cycleops H2) for following reasons:

• I did not want to buy a dumb trainer and ask myself during the next few months"maybe a more expensive DD smart trainer would be better?" and finally buy one anyway. So I went directly with the overkill solution, to not have any excuse for skipping or bailing workouts because of a possibly bad setup :slight_smile:

• Don’t underestimate the power this fancy new item on your bike or setup can have on your motivation during few weeks/months. It will fade away for sure (just like when you have new bike), but if it is a motivator to jump on the trainer with a smile during the coming winter, it is worth taking.

• Spending bunch of money forces you to use that damn thing consistently :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I would definitely get a PM for the bike first. Consistency is what makes you faster and using the same device inside and out is by far the best way to do this. However, I would recommend a Direct drive turbo for sure. I use the Cycleops H2 and power match my Quarq PM and have found them both to be excellent for years! Everyone has a preference and opinion on this, but I think you just get used to whatever setup you use. Spending hard earned cash on a sweet setup is definitely great motivation though! :grinning:

1 Like

I can’t quantify improvements, but going from an old fluid trainer to a Wahoo Kickr Snap hasn’t likely resulted in physiological improvements. However, it’s made riding on the trainer more enjoyable with “smart” capabilities. Things like Zwift, FulGaz, and locking it in ERG mode make indoor training more enjoyable.

2 Likes

Are you using a power meter or cadence sensor with your regular trainer and basing workouts off of that?

That was the big thing for me – my Wahoo Kickr was the first time I ever trained with real data. Its been a game changer and has sent me down the rabbit-hole of tech and metrics for all my rides, indoor and out. I used Zwift first, and its alot of fun, but TR is kicking up my training to new effort levels I didnt realize were possible. But its the data that is key.

If you can get real-time data on your workouts on the regular trainer… you probably dont need the smart trainer. ERG mode is nice, but its a luxury that you dont seem too enthusiastic to invest in. and its not a necessity. and i’m not sure if it makes you a better rider. I use it with TR training, but I’ll let others debate the merits of ERG.

1 Like

For me, I’d rate a smart trainer higher than a power meter, unless you plan to train outside, or you need more flexibility that a power meter gives.

I went from Wheel on → Direct Drive → Direct Drive + Power Meter → Smart Trainer.

My n=1 is that a power meter is a nice to have of the latter two. I don’t really use it outside, as my outdoor rides are social or headspace. I don’t race anymore, but even then, you either have the legs or you don’t.

Whereas I use my Hammer 1 much more, especially now with remote working, it’s getting near daily use. I’m recent to zwift, but can’t imagine it’s much of an experience without a smart turbo for racing or social rides (again, this is important to me with lockdowns!).

Pre-covid, I used my power meter with hybrid rollers for many of my workouts. I snapped the belt of my hammer, and while waiting for the replacement I was back on that. I’d really forgotten how much a cognitive load matching gearing/ power/ cadence was compared to erg. Especially for high intensity workouts.

As for did it improve my training - Yes. It improved my consistency, as a smart trainer takes some of the effort out of the equation (see cognitive load). I could never manage to watch TV on a “dumb” trainer and maintain power on target. I also find I can do the cadence drills easier, and the short sprint/ vo2 max intervals, where chad says keep cadence up in the recovery, I can actually do now.

1 Like

Erg is over-hyped. Direct drive is the real benefit. And sim mode in Zwift can be fun.

Like others have posted above, I’ve abandoned Erg and find my inside and outside training are now closely matched. For what it’s worth I bought a power meter before the smart trainer, and use my bikes power meter inside and outside.

2 Likes

I think that’s n=1. I find erg a great advantage, reduces my cognitive load, which therefore helps my consistency.

I think it would depend how much training you do outside. For me, I don’t. Well it’s not normally “junk” km’s, but I’m not worrying about the power output.

4 Likes

For me ERG is better than using a dumb trainer. My workouts are set to the correct power and I get to choose my cadence, instead of my gears dictating that to me. For example, I remember with my gearing when I wanted to peddle at 90rpm, my gears meant that to get the right power I’d either have to be below at 85 rpm, or above at 95rpm. With ERG, I make the choice.

3 Likes

Lets put it this way, if you get a smart trainer you’ll never voluntarily get on a dumb trainer for training again.

1 Like

Unless your @bbarrera :smiley:

Maybe @Jonathan would also disagree.

But I paid for accelerated shipping on my Hammer belt after that first workout back on dumb hybrid rollers!

1 Like

I’ve spent 294 of 379 hours on my smart trainer this year. More than all my other bikes combined by about 4x. I would never question any amount of money I spent on the trainer.

4 Likes

Sure I can appreciate you have a different point-of-view, thats cool. FWIW here is the rest of my n=1.

I love riding my bike. Train because I love riding fast. Started in the gym on a Stages SC3 bike (with power) and just resistance mode, worked great with structured training. So I bought a Kickr direct-drive and in about 2-3 minutes I can take off wheels and be doing a workout. Everything feels and acts the same, inside and out, which I prefer because I love riding my bike.

1 Like

Don’t think that’s true. I don’t miss erg one bit, and there are several other examples in this thread alone.

2 Likes

Yes, a smart trainer improved my training

ERG allows me to mentally check out on certain types of workout. This isn’t ideal in some situations, but it is very nice in others

Having it as an option is ideal for nearly everyone.

I’d argue that the folks that exclusively use ERG and the folks that exclusively don’t would both benefit from taking a little from column A and a little from column B, depending on situation.

3 Likes

:+1: I prefer resistance but still use erg on occasion.

1 Like

This just has me wondering … HOW are you on the trainer if not on a bike? :wink:

OP - I still use my KK Road and rollers. No PM. Would ERG be nice so I don’t have to think about the power? Yes. Do I HAVE to have it? Nope.

Yes, a smart trainer improved my training. Hugely.

Previously my training was on a fluid dumb trainer and was fairly random. It suffered mainly from lack of motivation resulting in loss of structure and fitness. I really hated it and often trained in the dark, cold and wet in preference. No longer.

Trainerroad, a smart trainer and a dedicated turbo bike set up have transformed my training. I have lots of bikes and no power meter but my turbo bike is always ready to go.

Now on my 3rd winter of structured TR training I’ve seen good ftp gains and rarely lack motivation because I’m locked into a proper plan and ERG mode takes care of the rest.

ERG mode is the key, to me. I love it. It makes the psychological bit easy. I see it like a crazy dog that’s chasing me. If I ease off the power, it will catch me and eat me (aka the ERG mode spiral of death). My only job is to keep pedalling and surviving.

3 Likes

It’s true, I am on a bike, but it’s a dedicated and retired bike only used for the trainer. The bike isn’t where the money goes, it’s into the trainer and tech.

Possibly.

Has it made my training life £500 better? Nah. Yes, they are nice, yes, they are over hyped. I dont regret the purchase but its no game changer.

How long have you been training indoors?

1 Like