Dangerous Drivers

Be safe out there folks. Being hit by a car can have a long lasting impact.

I was hit (hit and run) in April this year (3x broken ribs and unconscious / 3 nights in hospital / severely bruised right hip etc)

Thought I’d got over it when I began riding again in July. Made half reasonable progress in recovering my fitness but an aching left shoulder has developed complications.

Upshot is I have nerve damage and it’s deteriorating on a weekly basis. Left hand is now almost fully paralysed and I’ve not been able to ride since September. Similar symptoms manifesting in my left foot / leg point to neck-shoulder issues but diagnosis (x-ray / mri / conductivity tests) are not pinpointing anything that is actionable unfortunately.

Prognosis is worryingly vague. Seeking a 2nd opinion, but there is a chance it may be permanent. :confused:

My advice is:

• Wear a good helmet (the best one you can afford) - without a doubt it saved my life given the size of the crack in it
  • Consider investing in a Garmin Varia or similar device, I bought one after my accident and found it to be excellent and worth every penny
  • Consider minimising the time you spend cycling solo (admittedly hard during Covid lockdown rules) - I attribute the fact I was on my own as a contributing factor as I’m (guessing) the driver may have more likely seen and therefore avoided two or more riders rather than one solo rider

Stay safe
Dave

4 Likes