Considering a new endurance bike

Other option which I think looks really nice is the BMC Roadmachine. Clearance for 33mm. I think that’s one of the most race-oriented of the wider tire bikes. Probably not the best option even for light gravel, but if you’re riding tarmac and just want the option to go wider for more comfort then would definitely have it on the list.

But…you say one of your reasons for looking at new bikes is getting a proper fit. In which case I wouldn’t start with the bike, I’d start with the fitter. Find a fitter that has a good reputation and preferably that is local enough to you that you can see them for multiple sessions if needed. Ask around local clubs or riding mates that have had a good fit experience for something similar to your needs. If the fitter you go with works for a shop, then the plus side is that you should be able to get the cost of the fit included in the cost of a new bike, the down side is that limits you to the bike brands that that shop deal with. Get set up on the fitting bike first to figure out your optimal position. The fitter can then recommend which bike models and sizes work well with that position. Then you choose your bike from that list.

5 Likes

I really liked the feel of the Cannondale Synapse.

I don’t own one, so I can’t comment on bottom bracket issues, but it seemed like a good mix of endurance geometry with a sporty-ish handling based on my one demo ride around the shop in summer of 2018.

1 Like

It’s a great choice. I find that I want something a bit less plush, but that’s down to personal taste.

Edit: I own a 2018 Domane SL5 Disc, which clears 32 mm and not much more.

1 Like

You can fit a 35mm with low tread just fine. They even sold the bike with 35mm G-One’s for awhile. I would not use 35’s with it if you think you will accumulate any kind of mud, but they do fit fine.

1 Like

I run 32 mm Panaracer Gravel King SK. I didn’t feel confident about 35 mm Gravel Kings after noticing that a 33 mm CX tire barely had a mm of clearance.

1 Like

+1 on the BMC Roadmachine. Up to 33mm and rides like a race bike but with endurance geometry.

3 Likes

I have a Trek Domane which can take up to 38s. Very happy with the performance of the bike however, it came with a 11-34 cassette and I changed it to a 11-30 for road riding. I still have a Giant Defy 2015 model and it sits on the indoor trainer now.

3 Likes

Same. On my 2020 SL4 I run compact up front, 11-30 for road and 11-36 for gravel. Works great with Ultegra long-cage (GS) rear derailleur.

1 Like

Trek checkpoint. Very fast, even on pavement.

4 Likes

What would be the benefit of choosing a gravel bike over a road bike if I do not ride gravel? Are there comfort benefits over the current endurance bikes that I’m not aware of?
I currently either ride on the road or trainer and have an MTB for MTB stuff. The direction I am headed with a new bike may have the ability to run larger gravel tires (38c) if that ever peaked my interest, but is not the reason I am buying the bike. I want to run wide aero wheels and tires for comfort. I do not race nor have plans to and ride outside for personal enjoyment, as most of us do.

The typical road bike will have sharper handling and a shorter wheel base. There is a spectrum of gravel bikes. Some are more road-bike like and some are more mountain bikey.

1 Like

Hi there. Can you tell me more about checkpoint please? Is it the alloy ones? Im currently looking for a gravel bike that can do it also around road and grass area. Whats the ride like and do you swap wheelset or tyres when you ride on road and on gravel?

Checkpoint and domane are my option if I choose trek brand. Many thanks.

I had the alloy one but obviously the carbon one is even better.

I ran gravel king 42s but even better if you can have 2 sets of wheels one with pavement tires.

The new domane is fricken sweet too though. I’d just look at whether you plan on riding more pavement or gravel. More pavement = domane more gravel = checkpoint but you really can’t go wrong with either now that the domane will support 38s

New Orbea Orca OMX is a highly capable all rounder road bike that can fit up to 32s…and you can customize your paint and graphics at no extra charge.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Will definitely consider these. I like the domane too. Not sure if i should pay extra 1500 aud for the domane when I could spend some of 1500 on bike fit and spare wheels unless im just sticking to 38 gravel king for road and gravel / grass riding. Whats your experience so far?

Riding on the road for me will be just for fun and endurance riding. Gravel part = i have 130km gravel event in 4 months time. Whats the different between riding on road and gravel not so rough based on your experience? Just to get an idea how much I need to do.

Is there much more resistance than road?

Many thanks.

I’m in the same boat. I don’t ever race on pavement, just for fun or for endurance, but I do occasional gravel races. That’s why I choose the checkpoint.

The problem is the term “gravel” can mean lots of different terrain based on where you are. Even by me it can mean fast hardpacked limestone, muddy double track, and chunky deep loose stone, all on the same ride. The fast stuff isnt too much harder than pavement but the deep stuff will really take it out of you.
That’s what makes gravel so much fun. The equipment choice is a big part of it, but when in doubt, use what you have.

The last two bikes I have had are the Cannondale Synapse HI Mod… Good bikes and comfortable… running 28’s. But … I am now considering going for a Cannondale SuperSix or Focus Izalco Max… or even Trek Madone…I have tried them and haven’t found a major difference in comfort with appropriate set up for the rides I am doing (relatively good roads… weekday intervals and weekend ~100Km)… It may be I want a change but I find them more responsive and more of a thrill to ride ! that is what I am telling my wife !!

1 Like

Went with the Domane. Had to wait a bit due availability but it was worth it. Thanks for all of the input.

3 Likes

Which Domane? Any saddle time yet?