Can TrainerRoad add distance and speed to the live metrics please? (Feature Request)

This is true, with one caveat. For those using Virtual Power in Zwift, there are only giving Zwift speed info. Then Zwift takes that speed, along with the specified trainer in the VP setup, and calculates a Virtual Power. That VP value is then used like any other power value from a smart trainer or power meter.

Correct - but you end up with the same gap between wheel-measured and Zwift-displayed speeds, as a function of the slope.

1 Like

“From the same person no less”…

Sounds somewhat derogatory, but perhaps its not meant that way.

Still, i would like distance and speed based on the data TR could calculate using my set up. It knows my cadence and could easily know the standard road wheel circumference and hence workout distance and hence speed over a given time.

Regardless of how accurate it is, it would be consistent for my bicycle and my workouts for me.

It seems SO basic to get this working, even if it is something that is toggled on or off. Maybe even just do it for dumb trainers if TR doesnt want to “mislead” users.

It’s months since i first mentioned it and for something so basic i am rather disappointed. (One of the very few disappointments).

Since you use Zwift, why not run both apps in parallel and keep the Zwift recording at the end? You will have the speed and distance data available.

As others have noted, use your speed sensor with your bike computer…you can get the exact metric you are looking for (although it will be largely useless since it will depend entirely on your gear selection that day…use a different gear, and you’ll get different mileage for the same power output.)

• Not meant that way at all. Just clarifying the point that this is effectively a new/repeated request by the same person as the existing one already in the system.

• Again, we should be using the existing threads that you already started, rather than adding another separate thread. That is driven from Nate himself, via the

Forum Pinned Post

Keep it Tidy

• We’re using a Discourse forum and it has a lot of cool features. Please use the appropriate category and add tags when you post.
  • If you do that, it will be much easier for other users to find content in the future.

• Despite how easy or hard this may be (and we should admit that we really don’t know), TR sorts any request in their system based on their internal goals (that we have no way of knowing) along with general user request, and the apparent range of need or use of any new tool.

• That matters because in this case, we don’t see a bunch of people asking for it (unlike the many, many people asking for swim/run stuff I linked above). My speculation, but I suspect it is unlikely for them to add something like this that seemingly has a very narrow use case.

• Couple that with their already stated stance on speed and distance being largely unnecessary for their goals, I would not expect this to be added anytime soon. I may well be wrong, so who knows what to expect from them?

• The only real thing to do with these is make the suggestion and wait patiently.

1 Like

on my smart trainer, its only consistent based on the speed of the flywheel. Here is a vo2 workout from yesterday, as seen by Strava:

my cadence was constant around 100rpm, and based on flywheel speed the Kickr reported 25mph. No matter I was doing 275W for a minute, then 90W for a minute. That is totally ridiculous!!!

Later on in that same workout I shifted from big ring to little ring. At the same 100rpm cadence my Strava speed dropped to 14mph.

Your request, when done correctly, is harder to implement than you think.

1 Like

I don’t use Zwift now. I’ve used TR for the last 12 mths or so.

It shouldn’t be as tough to workout for a dumb trainer.

There is no “correct” way to do it. You either take the wheel/spindle speed (what you are showing), or a “calculated” virtual speed (Zwift-style). Both are relatively simple, the algorithm for the first one being a lot simpler.

Ok, then use a bike computer paired with your speed sensor.

I’ll look into that, but then TR could do that.

LOL, I use my bike computer to capture workout data WITHOUT fake speed from Kickr!

1 Like

But , to be politely fair, they’d be doing it just for you and a handful of others. Is it proportionate for them? Probably not.

A handful of others?..
Thousands of people use non-smart trainers.

I gather that given the objective of TR is to deliver training to make us faster cyclists, and given that displaying this data does not add to the objective for the vast majority of users, the probability of implementation is low. The good news is that there are work-around available.

1 Like

How many of them want speed & distance data?

2 Likes

I used a dumb trainer for years, and never cared about speed or distance with it, since I was shifting gears to change the load.

1 Like

Maybe so, I was one until a few months ago, but a lot will have PM and almost all will have no desire for speed and distance.

That was only reason I tried Zwift after buying a smart trainer - to get realistic speed and distance data. And then decided I wasn’t going anywhere and it was more important to focus on hours and what type of work I was doing during those hours.

5 Likes