Can I benefit from a whoop

Do you want to make sleep a competition? Then yea, get one…

I’ve been wearing one for a while now and I can see fluctuations in how I feel and what the Whoop tells me with my recovery.

Alcohol affects my sleep pretty substantially. Caffeine doesn’t. I keep an eye on skin temp as well, just to let me know if I’m coming down with something.

I don’t mind wearing mine now.

Hump

I don’t see the value proposition for you. You’ve said you don’t like wearing a watch to bed…well, the Whoop is just a tighter watch with an itchy band. You’ve said you already have a good understanding of your sleep, recovery, and workout habits and that you can’t really change them. You already own a Fenix that basically gives you the same data if you wear it in bed (just like you would have to wear the Whoop). You’d pretty much be paying a monthly fee to do what you already have. Also, as others have mentioned, the 30 day trial really isn’t enough. You’ll have about 7-10 days to really review the full functionality and make the decision.

1 Like

Recently I stopped wearing my Garmin watch. I used it only for resting heart rate and sleep. It was the best thing I ever did getting rid of it. That data is useless in my opinion.

What was really damaging is I have maintenance insomnia and every time I woke up I’d check the time and it would stress me out. Not any more. I am still waking up but less frequently now and when I do I go right back to sleep. I’ve even started to dream again consistenly every night and waking up feeling like I had a good night sleep more often.

As for calorie tracking - if you’re putting on weight, eat less or move more. If you’re dropping weight, eat more or move less. It’s not rocket surgery. A watch doesn’t know squat about how many calories you burn anyway, it’s a wild guess.

Think of it this way. You will collect data but is it actionable based on the metrics? No. What is actionable is your behaviour - sleep hygene, daily habits that affect sleep etc. Ditch the wearables.

1 Like

I think the answer is im just gonna suck it up and wear the fenix for a bit. Just curious about HRV…not $250 a year curious…just curious

This was my exact concern…Im gonna shell out the money for it and wear it for a few weeks and then just look at it with guilt!

3 Likes

Don’t drink alcohol, reduce your caffeine intake, always go to bed early, fuel properly before, during and after workouts, if you feel sick or tired go easy and see if it passes. There I just saved you a bunch of money!

3 Likes

It’s hard to stomach $30 a month for what whoop does. I have been a fitbit wearer for years, since the charge 2 and I’m up to a charge 5. I get sleep tracking, resting HR and some other health metrics. Plus with the premium membership I’m trying out i’ll get to see what a “readiness score” or whatever they call it does which is what whoop and garmin do. I think keeping track of the metrics are fun but don’t really have much effect on what workout I do and the quality thereof. I know when I’m tired and i know when I’m sick and any device isn’t going to help with that. But unlike a super overpriced whoops my comparatively cheap fitbit gives me a watch, vibrating alarms which I use in lieu of a noise making alarm clock/phone and a count down timer I use all the time. Plus by comparison if I decide I do like their body battery bs it “only” costs $80 a year versus $30 a month with no watch, alarm or timers. So basically I have a watch with some novelty for health and but with some useful utility.

I’m in the camp of recommending a Garmin Fenix. No monthly fees, a backup head unit, and lots of metrics plus it’s smart watch that lasts about 30 days per charge. You’re either a data nerd or someone who couldn’t be bothered, if the former then the Garmin ecosystem has you covered.

1 Like

If one wanted the HRV metrics, HRV4Training only costs $10.

One thing I will give WHOOP credit for is that it measures HRV while you sleep, which is weighted during your last slow-wave cycle. From a consistency of measurement perspective, it’s pretty nice.

1 Like

I’m good for 6-7 days on my fenix… never seen even close to 30 days, even when it was brand spanking new.

Been just wearing the fenix since I started this thread… shelfing the idea of a whoop. Doesn’t do anything the fenix doesn’t already do

1 Like

I’ve had Whoop for about a year and a half now. I thought it would give me that little extra edge, sad to say it hasn’t. It does show helpful information but honestly it is nothing I didn’t already know. If you have a hard day, then you should recover more. If you drink excessive alcohol then your recovery sucks. It’s not really rocket since. Prioritize sleep, make sure you try go to bed at the same time every day, and listen to your body. I will be cancelling my subscription next month.

1 Like

The skin temp on the Whoop is a decent metric for sickness.
The strain is ignorant if you work with your hands and you wear it on your wrist….
I don’t even look at the calories on it, because I know that’s wrong.

I truly don’t really know why I wear it myself.

Hump