CAAD10 - time for an upgrade?

aero road helmet - pass (maybe next time I’m due for a helmet)
race fit jersey - check
50mm aero wheels - I’d be interested with a wheel upgrade. Which wheels did you go with?
fastest tubeless tires GP5000, aero optimized - check
waxed chain - check

I bought Farsports wheels, direct from China. Being that they were $600 shipped with CXray spokes and DT Swiss 350 hubs, it was a no-brainer. I think the same set is around $720 now (covid, supply chain issues, etc). A few times a year, you can catch a 10% sale.

My team got a deal on Trek helmets so I picked up a Ballista. I was surprised how you can feel the helmet catch the air depending on your head’s orientation. I was also skeptical about the lack of vents but now I love the design as I no longer need sunscreen on my head. The air flows into the helmet at the brow and cools just fine even on hot days.

1 Like

There is really no very rational reason for upgrading your CAAD10…

I have one with a similar setup yours: CAAD10 from 2015 with Ultegra 6800 mechanical groupset and HED Ardennes Plus wheels. I also ride a couple of significantly fancier bikes, at least on paper, but the CAAD10 remains a fantastic machine with impeccable handling, a decent weight and very little hassle in terms of maintenance. It’s been a good friend over some of the biggest mountain passes in Europe, and its use value easily outstrips its resale value. I may replace the Ultegra groupset with a SRAM AXS system at some point, and perhaps throw on a new wheelset once the HED’s braking surface gives in, but the bike itself reimains an all time favourite, and provides a similar riding experience to far more expensive bikes.

1 Like

Strip the bike, custom pain the frame, and be the envy of everyone around. You’ll have an amazing bike, a new sense of pride, and something different from everyone else that really stands out. And…the new bike won’t be faster.

2 Likes