BWR San Diego Tech Q

I’m running 45mm Maxxis Ramblers for this event. They came stock on my Canyon Grizl and I was tempted to switch to narrower tires.

But I’ve done a number of long road rides now on the Ramblers, including a 150 miler, and my opinion is that it’s barely going to be a disadvantage on the pavement and a pretty big advantage on the dirt.

There’s also the matter of fatigue setting in throughout the day. Fatter tires help with that.

2 Likes

You’re unlikely to get water bottle handouts for the first half of the ride unless you’re in the front group. There will just be way too many people. Instead, you’ll hand your bottles to a volunteer and they’ll fit it up quickly from a high flow spout, just a few seconds each.

I’ve ridden some stuff in the area on 42 rene herse babyshoe pass. It does make the ride much more tolerable off road. As far as on road efficiency goes, I would think it depends what pressures you plan on running with the 45s. If you want the ideal pressure for the best off road experience, I would imagine that it would impact on road efficiency. Again, at some point I’m sure a different tire would be better and other times it will be spot on.

I was hot swapping bottles at the beginning of the event. But by the end they were refilling bottles from other rides and handing them back out. I got some questionable bottles there.

I totally forgot about that experience. I would plan to refill, unless you intend to be near the front.

First timer here… running a roadbike (3T Strade) 1x 48x11-36 on challenge almanzo 30’s…hopefully works out for me

1 Like

They appear to recommend a 1:1 ratio for most riders for BWR SD…so you might want to look into maybe a 40 up front just to make things a tad easier on the knees?

Best of luck! It will be a blast.

1 Like

The course is scattered with water bottles that bounced out of cages, best to have 2 incase that happens (and double check your cage/bottle set up is as secure as possible)

Let me know how those tires work out, I’m planning to run them. I used 32mm hutchinson sectors the last 3 times but thinking they wouldn’t be enough for the new dirt? I’m kind of sad we won’t be riding all the way up Black Canyon this time, that was my favorite part!

I would recommend adding some sticky fine grit sand paper to the inisde of the bottle cage to prevent bottles from hopping our. I know that’s what riders do for roubaix.

Same bike and tires. I did the Appachian Journey a few weeks ago and the 45s did not cost me much at all on the pavement (but there was less of it than bwr I think). I was glad to have them on the gravel/dirt/mud though.

I know they don’t release the route until right before the race but when?!! I like to print out an elevation que sheet and map prior and wont have access to a printer the day before. Anyone have any history on when the release it and how they release the GPX file for our head units.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t officially released until the week of.

1 Like

They give you a top tube cue sheet during registration with rest stops, gravel sectors and climbs indicated.

3 Likes

Had no issues riding through very chunky Socal singletrack with plenty of sharp and loose rocks.

Then on a road ride this past weekend, I got a massive rear puncture that even two XL dynaplugs couldn’t fix :man_facepalming:. I really hate motorists sometimes. Like why are there broken beer bottles on every road in California?

Still running the 45mm on the front, but I switched to a 40mm in the rear. I believe most of the rolling resistance is in the rear anyway.

It’s like that where you live in California too, eh?

RidewithGPS GPX file will be released before the event

Perfect thanks

Race “bijbel” has been released…

1 Like

Well that’s a firm no for me man. I’ll grab a hand up if available early, otherwise refill. Happy to share the road and trail, but I draw the line at a bottle.

3 Likes

Thoughts on the revised course? I’m glad they removed the paved section back to Sutherland Dam, but there’s even more repitition than last year.

I’m pretty sure the fam will meet me at the Ramona aid station so I’m not carrying 12hrs of Maurten the entire time.