BWR California - Bike/Tire Choice

48x32 seems like a tall order. Here’s a comparison of 48x32 vs. 35x28 (my lowest gear). At 60rpm there is a 2kmh difference.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve done the BWR CA 3 times (waffle distance). Last year I did it on my road bike with Hutchinson Sector 30mm tubeless tires. My gearing is 52/36 with an 11-28. I’m signed up for this year and plan on using the same bike (My gravel bike is way heavier and I’d be spun out on the road sections too). I’m planning to run 32mm tires this time, likely the IRC serac.

2 Likes

That’s great feedback, thanks! I may be able to get away with some 32mm tires on my road bike it seems, I’ll have to measure and see if I can try on for a size. I don’t have anything in that size, only 33mm cross tires with significant sidewall knobs.

1 Like

At some points you will be wishing you were on a different bike or had more/less tire but that’s the fun of it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s indeed the truth! It is such a varied course by the looks of it that there is no perfect bike/gear, just “good enough”.

1 Like

I call that rest and a good time to take a drink. Y’all go ahead!!! I won’t catch up!! :laughing:

1 Like

Ran across a similar post on ST: BWR San Diego 2022 tire selection: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

2 Likes

Underrated comment. The temp rises quickly as you go inland.

5 Likes

So I would definitely have made this mistake had it not been for the comment. Checked out Escondido/Ramona today, already approaching 30C. There is no help for me … it is -20C here today and I’m unlikely to see higher than 15C temps before BWR. Guess it’ll be time for some acclimation…

2 Likes

There is a good chance that we’ll see the beginning of May Grey when BWR happens although the effects of it will be lessened the race heads inland

What’s May Gray?

It’s the overcast weather weather we tend to get in San Diego during the late Spring(in combination with June Gloom).

That’s real interesting! Coastal Canada has the same gloomy behaviour between November-April, I’m surprised to see it in May/June. It’ll definitely be an interesting experience from a heat perspective for me.

Has anyone tried out the IRC Boken Doublecross 33? Im curious how they feel on the road. If you have, please feel free to chime in!

Can’t say I’ve tried them, but based on profile, TPI and weight, that is a definite handicap all around. It depends on your handling comfort, but it seems overkill to me. To make matters worse, if any part of the road is wet, you’ll be in for a world of pain.

I’ve ordered a set of Challenge Stradas in 33c. Looks like a good compromise of width and volume with fast rolling on pavement. I’ll suffer a little on the dirt descents, but barring rain it should be fine. If for some reason there is mud … well, I’ll probably bring a CX bike then.

I’ve considered the Stradas. I ran the Rene Herse 650x42 last year. Being that I’m running 700c this year, I’m trying to find the best balance of speed and traction. I definitely have experience on dirt, but it’s also clearly my weak point. Maybe the GK SS 32 or the IRC serac edge might be a good bet?? The GK SS 35 fits my bike but the clearance at the seat tube is only about 3mm.

1 Like

What about the Rene Herse 700x32 Stampede Pass or 700x35 Bon Jon Pass? Super comfortable and pretty fast too.

I would be a little wary of 3mm clearance, but could get away with it. I have the GK SS in 38c for gravel, and they roll well enough on parent. According to BRR, they’re comparable to Stradas, which makes no sense to me tbh. As said, I went with the Challenege Strada Pro TLR. Rolling and puncture resistance was great, they’re a high TPI tire, and they were cheap through bike24. I’ll get them next week and so will have a bit of time to test out.

Have you read that? This years suggestion is Boken Plus or SeraCX edge. I haven’t looked at the IRC tires in detail, they’re not easy to get in Canada.

1 Like

I currently have the Bon Jon Pass on my bike. Great for road, but the clearance is like 1.5mm at the seat tube. I don’t feel comfortable on gravel with that clearance. The Stampede Pass isn’t labeled as tubeless. I know some have managed to make it work, but not something I will feel confident enough in to race on.

1 Like

For anyone considering Challenge Strada Bianca TLR Pro - they are very difficult to mount. I was physically unable to mount them to one set of rims (Lightbicycle AR36). Actually only managed to mount ONE side of ONE tire while the second tire did not go on at all.

They mounted to a second set of rims after fighting for over an hour. I figured out a trick that actually made it possible - since the tire sits flat, you need to roll it over and pull it to the side opposite that you’re mounting to and hold it there while you curse/pray and inflict pain on yourself. Would definitely not purchase again based on this alone. They seated fine w/ a standard foot pump, but so far I’ve been able to do that with every single tire.

Now I need to break and remove the bead to pour in Stan’s Race sealant … :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: