Best Direct Drive trainer to buy RIGHT NOW

Shane, as far as reliability issues go, how does the 18 Kickr compare to the Neo 2T? I’m trying to decide if the premium in price is worth it over the Kickr, after having 4 bad experiences with the H3 I’m not sure what to expect from others

Bike + Trainer + Zwift: US$2990.

https://blog.3t.bike/2020/03/13678/3t-elite-zwift-special-offer/?_ga=2.155684091.1724393504.1585237349-1520053778.1549211356

2 Likes

They couldn’t pay me $2990 to ride that monstrosity

Wow…that is a screaming deal.

2 Likes

Basically a 10% discount on the bike and a free trainer.

Could probably sell the bike lickity split in the fall to all those people who have severe cabin fever and want to go do some solo gravel rides.

There’s no easy answer I can give without taking a full face punch by someone who’s either had a Kickr18 with issues or a NEO2T that blew up…

/my/ experience with the Kickr 18 has been good. No issues. Same with the 2T apart from chasing a few missing watts in comparative testing.

1 Like

Wow, why did you post this? Haha, the gears in my head have been turning since I clicked on the link. My road/trainer bike is a Cervelo R3, but it has super small clearance so I can’t put 25mm tires on it comfortably. Definitely going to do some research tonight

1 Like

So I assume the accuracy issues are still there on the 2T? I use my Assioma for power so not concerned with that but do hope the ERG issue has been fixed. The H3 is great for TR, and I think you said that too, but what makes it better? Is the Kickr slower to respond or not as smooth? I know the 2T was too fast to respond at times

2T Accuracy: Yes… but it’s a long story still unfolding. No issues if you’re running another PM.
2T ERG Mode: It’s better with newer firmware. Not sure they’ve pushed it to the public release yet.
H3: Spoken about in my review. It’s butter smooth and holds ERG setpoints well.
Kickr: Still good in ERG. One of the best go-to trainers all-round.

1 Like

Thank you! My Lbs is going to let me borrow both their display 18kickr and Neo 2T for a week since the shop is closed anyway. I’ll see how they feel on zwift and TR as well. I trust both units but trying to decide if the Neo is worth $100-$150 more USD than the Kickr18 cause with my discounts that’s approximately the difference

1 Like

Neo will definitely feel different with the rocking motion. I did have a 2t momentarily and hated the virtual wheel slip at lower gearing/cadences so i sent it back. My buddy loves his kickr.

So that was remedied on the 2T, but was a thing on the Neo and Neo2. My LBS has both the Neo2T and Kickr 18 and are letting me borrow them for a week so I will see what I think.

I know they said it was remedied but it still occurred to me when I had a 2T still. Maybe it won’t happen to you but it did for me.

How much power you putting out?

Nothing crazy. Just felt like I was pedaling through mud at times. Maybe it was my trainer as this is when they still have quite a few power accuracy issues.

Elite Suito is another option

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I’m interested in particularly the Kickr18 and the Neo2T, just want to stick with the higher end stuff for a (perhaps false) sense of security that I will have a more reliable product.

Just trying to figure out if the 2T issues have been fixed since that is kind of my holy grail right now

1 Like

Hi Cleanneon98,
Can you keep us (me) posted on how you go with the 2 loaner trainers.

Our LBS has capitalised on the crisis and put the price of trainers up, pretty disappointing as I have supported them when I can.

Cheers GG

Prices up? Yeah that is a pretty interesting. Time to start buying from REI or clevertaining with the 20% off coupons.

1 Like

Yea for sure I’ll keep you updated. Sounds like a scummy LBS honestly, but they will get beat out by the internet since it seems like that’s what they deserve anyway