Best bike upgrades you can make

I like admiring all the slick upgrades and deep section wheels as I wait for them at the top of climbs. But I can be an asshole sometimes :stuck_out_tongue: (edit: I do mean this in the context of the social group rides. I realize there are tons of crit racers who could bury me with their fitness and deep section wheels)

Getting the perfect saddle and bars is always pretty high on my agenda.

Don’t want to appear rude but I wouldn’t bother upgrading the bike, I’d prefer to upgrade the rider.

Keep doing your TR workouts, sprinkled with some social rides and you’ll be better on any bike you throw your leg over.

When you really think about the potential cost of upgrading your bike, training and eating well always comes out top for me.

Please note that I’m bashing anyone and yes, I’d love a new set of wheels.

1 Like

Latex inner tubes

2 Likes

Fit / new saddle, if that isn’t dialed in.

Aluminati for life…
I have one of each, and the Allez rides as well as my old BMC RM01.
Aluminium has come so far in the last few years. I won’t say that the allez is the smoothest ride, or the lightest… but OH MY GOD is it fast and responsive.

Oh and the Colours, I could never hide in a bunch

Better tyres, maybe the new GP5000 or the best 4000’s but with latex inner tubes.

It will change the feel of the bike. Unfortunately this improvement you feel will wear off, even though the improvement is still there. Basically, you get used to this improvement after a ride or two and will wonder why you tried anything else.

Wheels will make the biggest change, well the hubs and tire choice specifically.
the rims will change the feel of the ride and some aero gains, but if on shitty hubs you will loose any gains. ben riding a set of DTSwiss 350s and they are great. they engage quickly when you jump on the pedals and I can roll past heavier riders on the down hills :wink:
The rim choice will depend on the use… do you ride in a hilly area, or are you riding on the pan flat roads?
on the flatter stuff 60mm are great.
hilly routes you might want to look at 20mm or if you like to mix it up look at a something around the 30-40mm.

saying all of that… C24s are amazing wheels, if your going to buy one set for everything, they would be my go to. used by heaps of pros with cup and cone bearings (old school but it WORKS)

I so wanted to be an SA and say Carbon Wheels but it was an option on the poll. On wheels, it depends on the wheelset, some manufacturers do better but…

Anyway, first thing IMO, is a power meter.

+1