Bang on wrong! What is going on? (Assioma vs SB20)

This must mean you have to take the pedals off and on everytime you want to go inside/out?

Yes, it takes no more than 1 min. Its an absolute non-issue for me.

1 Like

I understand and I am glad you have something that works for you. It is still a workaround though, based on shoddy equipment.

I was blessed with the Adaptive Training gift of Petit -1 this morning :slight_smile: :gift: (whoo hoo!!!) So, here’s the SB20 again reading 7% under the Assiomo pedals.

I have the same problem as others have reported with my SB20 reading about 10% high compared to Assioma Duo. Stages just agreed to send me a new pair of crank arms as a goodwill gesture, not as part of the warranty, since everything is looking fine to them (calibration within range, etc).

Its what I have done from the start not never experienced the ‘shoddy equipment’ but respect its not the answer for everyone, but through it in their as a more broader positive experience with the SB20.

1 Like

I do the same thing as you and it works perfectly fine. Except for the power meters reading high, the SB20 has been great. Super easy to adjust between riders, sturdy, low maintenance, silent, etc. Customer support has been great as well. My partner only rides with power indoors and for her, it´s a perfect product. She doesn´t care if her FTP is 250 or 275 when she´s not using the number outdoors. It´s consistent when measured against itself which is the most important thing.

The only thing I´m lacking right now is the ability to get solid dual recordings for Zwift, hence requesting new power meters from Stages to maybe get readings that are more in line with my Assioma Duo.

1 Like

I recieved my new cranks and put them to the test. Compared to my Assioma Duo, the previous ones were reading about 10% high while the new ones are reading about 5% high. That´s within reason for me and good enough.

Sorry for digging up this old boy, but I hope my findings may help some fellow SB20 users out there.

I too have gone through a lengthy process, of trying to figure out what was wrong, as I too experienced a roughly 10 percent difference in the watt numbers provided by my SB20 and my Assioma Favero Duos.

What I found was that the pedals themselves - due to their shape - needed a disc to put a bit more distance to the crankarm, and not touch the crankarm. This turns out to be a problem. The added distance creates an added amount of “weight-arm”, which in turn seems to be interpreted as additional watts by the crankarms. It sounds like the newer model of the crankarm to some extent mitigates this. Either through stiffness, or the distance disc not being necessary. I don’t know.

If you think you have a similar problem on your hands, you can try the following:
You can isolate the problem, by doing something like a ramp test to get an estimated FTP. First by using the SB20 with the original pedals. Then do it again using your secondary powermeter, like the Assiomas. Hopefully these two values will close enough to each other to be acceptable. Then you may try to do a third one using the SB20 powermeter, but with the Assiomas still mounted on the bike. This should - if this is indeed your problem - yield a higher FTP as a result.

I have poked around a bit, and have managed to somewhat mitigate the problem, by mounting the pedals in the innermost hole in the crankarm, but in the configuration telling the app that I’ve mounted the pedals in the outermost holes. This has - at least for me - managed to bring the difference below 5%, with a tendency of lower difference at zone 3-5, and a larger difference when sprinting.

I hope someone out there may find my findings useful, and I would love to see someone else going through this exercise and hopefully come out with the same results to verify my own findings.

Ride on. :slight_smile:

I have a 4% discrepancy between my Assioma Duo pedals and my SB20. It’s frustrating, but you can change the discrepancy in the Favero app. I reduce my pedals by -4% and they read within a few watts now. The key thing, is that I do my structured training on the SB20 and then just use the pedals for when I ride outdoors.

Wouldn’t it be much simpler to use powermatch? I believe it still is the Trainerroad recommended way to use power meter with a smart trainer. No additional tweaking required and the power you see is coming from the same source as when riding outdoor.

Put your pedals on the SB20 and then there is no need to change within the app :man_shrugging: it’s what I have been doing for nearly 2 years now

That doesn’t work in ERG mode. A the end of the day, telling the trainer to hold 200 watts, has nothing to do with the pedals.

It works perfectly if you use TrainerRoad’s PowerMatch feature, even in ERG mode.

1 Like

That’s interesting to know. Next time I do an FTP ramp test I will use the results gained from the Assioma pedals, and then use powermatch from then on.

1 Like

Use power match? I don’t use ERG mode whatsoever…

Edit: just seen this has already been suggested :blush: