4iiii Fliiiight Smart Trainer

Thanks @mcneese.chad - I will.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Ended up getting the 4iii and had two things come up: the magnets seemed to be mal-aligned (they werenā€™t parallel with the rim, rather they sat as if the bike was leaning off to the left), and after I went over 250W a few times on a VO2 workout (canā€™t recall which one), the trainer started banging the magnets into the rim (ā€œclang! clang! clang!ā€); no change with resetting it and turning power match off or back on, and it became a consistent trait any time I went over 250W. The erg mode did otherwise work exceptionally well, even keeping it in the middle cog out back to reduce noise/vibration, and other than the wattage-induced issue the thing worked great. Really appreciate all of your input. Mine strangely had no problem going to 400W or more, but it was doing its rock band impression the entire time until coming back below 250W.

Ended up having to send it back to ProBikeKit (what a process) and currently using my old Magneto2 in my roof-covered parking spot behind my building. Ventilation is good and the noise complaint issue is now preventatively addressed just in a slightly oddball way!

1 Like

Ha, yea - I donā€™t love it but Iā€™m satisfied with it and it is much quieter. If the only problem I have is ramp tests, Iā€™ll just do power tests on an old trainer and use the numbers. I assume that since Iā€™m using powermatch it wonā€™t matter too much.

I think my instinct about the ramp test was correct - I just did the 20 min ftp test and it went pretty well. No trainer issues with cadence, gearing, resistance, etc.

Iā€™ve just got the trainer, but havenā€™t used it yet as Iā€™m waiting for new wheels that are compatible with it.

I realise that this is too late for aribaquet, but if anyone else has the problem of the magnet arrays being misaligned with the wheel, that can be fixed by the second adjustment covered in the ā€˜Align wheel for Fliiiightā€™ video linked here:

Mine were way off, so much so that Iā€™d never have even been able to mount a wheel, but a little bit of adjustment has got them right in line.

Damn. Itā€™s already back in the UK. Thank you though!

Mine seems to keep going out of true now! Not as bad a before adjustment, but the way of adjusting them is hit and miss. You have to undo two screws at the front and then adjust two screws at the back. The problem is that when you re-tighten the screws at the front, it messes up the alignment again!

I canā€™t get any support from 4iiii, so I think Iā€™ll have to return it once the UK lockdown is over.

I donā€™t think that mine not be exactly in true is causing problems, but I am finding it a bit unreliable. Every so often, mine seems to lose traction for a few turns and my pedals are going round too fast - then the traction cuts back in. Annoying.

Iā€™ve been using the fliiiight for about 5 weeks with trainerroad exclusively and have had a good experience so far.

@kingston12, if your resistance unit keeps going out of true, may you need to tighten down the bolts more securely to hold the whole unit in place? I completely agree that it is tricky to get the concentricity and parallelism dialed in properly, but I have not yet had an issue with the position changing over time.

Regarding the ā€˜slippingā€™/losing traction, which firmware version are you using? I remember reading about that in some reviews and thought that the latest firmware was supposed to address this issue. Iā€™m running 3.8.0 (updated through chrome on android and NOT through the android app) and have not experienced the loss of traction you describe.

1 Like

What is the road feel now on the fliiiight, as that is a common trait reading reviews. Also are you able to get sufficient power in sprint workouts. For clarity what is your FTP?

I have no complaints about the road feel on the fliiiight, but thatā€™s something that is kind of hard to quantify. The only time I felt like I was riding through mud was when I was accidentally shifted into 52-15 instead of my usual 52-11.

My FTP is 208. Iā€™ve done SSBLV I and am finishing SSBLV II right now. The only rides with sprints Iā€™ve done are Ebbetts, Clark and Jepson. Clark had the highest intensity sprints up to ~400 W and the fliiiight had no problem quickly adjusting to that. I remember reading on DC rainmakerā€™s review that there might be an issue with enough power output/road feel if you have an FTP over 250. I canā€™t speak directly to that obviously, but perhaps Iā€™ll find out in the next few months or year.

Also, of note, Iā€™ve only used the fliiiight for TrainerRoad workouts. Havenā€™t used it on Zwift.

1 Like

Iā€™m on the ā€œbetaā€ version (aka stac zero halcyon) and sitting at a 265 FTP. No issue with road feel at all during sprints, but Iā€™m also using a heavy wheel now and ramp the cadence up to 120+ before the sprints kick in. Also, using the old stac app, I upped the ramp up / ramp down to smooth the big changes. When I was using a lighter wheel, the system was less smooth.

Zero ā€œbuyers remorseā€.

1 Like

Hey, I have been off of my fliiiight for the last two months and got back on it yesterday. First, I updated the firmware and went from 3.7 to 3.9.1. I have no clue what changed in between but the thing rides like a whole new trainer. I did volcano climb in zwift and the whole ride was smooth without the trainer panicking and changing resistance when it shouldnā€™t. I am really happy with it now - quiet!

In the next few weeks Iā€™ll try the Titans Grove section and do some TR workouts.

Road feel is pretty good but not as good as a trainer with a flywheel - very little inertia on the fliiiight.

I will mention that at no point could I get the thing to update via the Android app or the chrome app on a windows computer. Eventually I got it to update via the chrome app on a Mac laptop.

2 Likes