1L bike bottles

Do you have an early analysis? I’ve got a 380 mile ultra in 2 weeks and if I can get something better than the Zefal for it, I’d love to!

1 Like

I have the Lezyne side loaders on my gravel bike, and I have NEVER lost a bottle over some pretty gnarly stuff.

2 Likes

Is the “New” version of the Zefal different?

Honestly, I haven’t had an issue with it yet. Fits my Arundel Side Loader and holds securely, and haven’t had it leak either. It’s also lighter than a 26oz Specialized Purist…

This is the one I’m using and it does look different than some of the older ones.

1 Like

Ive been using SIS widemouth for a couple years and they are great. They recently updated the cap, which even though they are still called wide mouth, they have a small mouth. The new design dropped the capacity from 1L to 980 ml too. So if you can find the truely widemouth older version, grab it, If not, the newer version works well even though the new design made it a little less good.

1 Like

I also use these, have worked very well for me. They don’t leak as long as you screw them on tight enough, but I guess that’s the case for any bottle…

I’ve got a couple of the old ones. Good bottles. Only gripe is they are a little thin so if you squeeze too high up you can pop the lid a little loose. Here’s one compared to a Magnum. Holds about one solid swig more of fluid…

3 Likes

just to be clear, my Zefal’s don’t leak from the bottle-to-lid interface. They leak from the nozzle.

1 Like

FWIW; I have 4 Zefals and they have never leaked. I have also dropped a couple (at speed) so they are scuffed and gouged, but no breaks or leaks. Overall, I think they are great.

The reason i like my SIS a little better is because it has better flow from the nozzle, and the body of the bottle is a bit more pliable. The SIS is, overall, easier to drink from.

2 Likes

I LOVE the Elite bottles. Michelle hates them.

Michelle loves the SIS bottles. I like them too.

The Zefals were our go-to for a long time and work great too. They’re fine for both of us.

Have not ridden with Soma yet, but the potential is there! I expect it will eject from cages easily from sheer top-heaviness.

Polar = least favorite for both of us.

3 Likes

Yes, new Zefals are different in many ways.

I have the new one.

I just purchased the new Magnum Pro too.

I like everything about the new Zefal Magnum bottle, but my wife hates that it feels like your face has full contact all over the bottle lid because of its concavity.

2 Likes

I picked up a few Zefals in April and haven’t had any issues with them leaking. Maybe they fixed the issue. I drink a lot of fluid and usually take 3 on my long weekend rides. 2 in the triangle and 1 in the jersey pocket. 3L lasts me about 4 to 4:30 hrs.

I have the Zefals and they’ve been largely ok.

I bought a couple of the Elite Fly bottles and had high hopes. They are ok but I don’t trust them to stay in the cages when full. The plastic is so thin and malleable, and the bottle is so heavy when full, that I can see them popping out easy. That being said it hasn’t happened to me yet but I wouldn’t trust them if I were in a ride/race where things could get wild and I really need to rely on that bottle.

I can see why the smaller Fly bottles are well liked but it just doesn’t fully translate to the 1L for me.

ICYMI from the thread I posted above on slowtwitch.

6 Likes

To finally answer your question directly:

YES. I’d love for some more major players to get onboard with the ~1-L bottle game.

I want to try this, but a solid black bottle seems like a poor choice for riding in hot sun.

ETA: Found them in Clear! Amazon.com

ETA: Boo, can’t get them in time for my race!

2 Likes

I have/had two if these. I still use them on the trainer. They’re high flow and very squeezable. As above I’d trust them less than the Elite MaxiCorsa or other more rigid bottles in a cage, and both of mine leak around the base of the nozzle.

1 Like

Agreed. I’d love to have them in white.

This is what I’m talking about. Doesn’t look like much but the specialized bottle is in there more securely for sure.

All I’m saying is, I’ve but a few thousand miles on these bottles and cages in some pretty gnarly terrain and have NEVER lost a bottle

Drives me nuts that Zefal is the only option. I drink a litre an hour as well. And it gets worse. I recently had to replace some and they were $20 a bottle. Seriously? Surely it’s not that hard? :man_facepalming: