Zwift Academy - What are your plans?

I am surprised that dimension data isn’t there this year, and it is a team (Canyon-Fenix?) which I never heard of. I am not aiming for a pro contract, but I want to complete it this year to unlock some in-game swag. You need to complete 8 workouts and do 4 group rides/races if you just want to complete the academy.

I am wondering if you can just start the workout, and then pedal through it without actually hitting the workout targets? Does that count as a finished workout according to zwift’s algorithm? @GPLama might want to chime in on this one :stuck_out_tongue: If that is the case, then I can just do a zwift academy workout and a trainerroad workout at the same time (trainerroad controlling the trainer and zwift for the visuals).

1 Like

I’m sure when I’ve done the previous years, its just a case of attendance. Don’t believe I have ever hit every target but always graduated! Group academy rides etc I’ve done TR workouts many a time…

2 Likes

Ditto, I have never fully completed any of them. I will see if it works into my training schedule and may aim to get it all this season.

1 Like

Off season fun means complete all 3

1 Like

I am going to do the running one and the tri one most likely. I have used plan builder to build out my season already but will just slot their workouts into the plan or swap them in depending on the week. Last year the tri program was easy so its nothing that needs you to take extra recovery IMO

No idea sorry. My use of workouts on there is for my own interval sessions and putting equipment to the sword.

3 Likes

From last years faq:
What percentage of a workout do I need to complete to get credit? Do I have to get all the stars?
You must complete 75% of a Zwift Academy workout to receive credit towards graduation. While you should aim to get as many stars as possible, these do not factor into completion credit.”

2 Likes

Good to hear!!! thanks!

The latest Zwiftcast has some discussion about the new ZA and related bike workouts in particular.

• Relevant section starts at 26:40 or so.
  • I like the sounds of the focus on workouts and education. Might be a great start for newer indoor training riders compared prior ZA’s.

I got quite frustrated with the tri academy last year, as the footpod kept cutting out, underreading or worse - Zwift run wouldnt start or kept cutting out during a session.

That was in a gym, now I have my own set up Ill give it another go this year just for variety.

1 Like

What pod are you using? Also ANT+ or BLTE?

In the fine print on Zwift’s site it says you must complete 75% of the workout (stars) to get credit. I figured I would test this out and see if I’d get credit for just doing my own SS workout, by happenstance I got 5/12 stars and still got credit for the workout! I may try for less stars on the next one :joy:

3 Likes

I believe its not about compliance in the workouts but actually completing 75% of the academy workouts.

To complete an hour workout also I don’t believe you actually have to do an hour as you can join late and still get credit for that workout.

It’s hard not to graduate and I’ve done plenty of TR sessions in them over the years.

You must complete 75% of a Zwift Academy workout to receive credit towards graduation. While you should aim to get as many stars as possible, these do not factor into completion credit.

You are so correct! Apparently, I did not read that second sentence. Gonna get that sweet new jersey and bike in no time!

I wonder if there will be extra credit this year? As it looks like the bike is 100% prize this time.

2 Likes

Is the full schedule of workouts, rides and races available somewhere? Want to build a polarised type plan around Zwift Academy by doing some easy TR sessions in between, but doesn’t seem to be a schedule on the Zwift site

1 Like

Just released:

2 Likes

I get annoyed seeing this, because it kind of sells itself to folks as a plan, but we know it’s nowhere near actually being an actual plan, it’s just a series of workouts. Maybe it helps to identify the people who could potentially be recruited to be pros through their power profiles, but for the average joe, I can’t see how only 8 workouts and a few races would lead to much. I’m just cynical about anything zwift does, though lol

2 Likes

Cynical or not, I totally agree with you. From memory, the very first ZA was more like what you mention (an actual plan). The recent ones (noting I have not looked at the current year info in detail) are more of “tests” to me. It is a great concept, but I think they have shifted focus in a way that is no longer beneficial for “regular” riders.

2 Likes

I don’t know about you all but I am going to supplement my TR plan with 1 ZA workout per week and one ZA group ride every other week.

1 Like

The academy looks a bit lacklustre this year. In previous years there’s been more of a training program and a gradual thinning down of candidates but from the looks of this years sessions, it’s 8 training sessions to test your power output over different time frames. I know there’s an emphasis on making sure your weight has been entered into Todays Plan, so I expect they will play close attention to watts per kg to filter the candidates into a smaller group. After that they might pay a small amount of attention to the race results but realistically those count for very little. The group workouts are just the social side to get more people on board, nothing more.

3 Likes