Your FTP improvements

I’m really curious to hear more about these multi-year FTP gains. I’ve been trapped in the cycle of “250W off the couch to 280W after consistent training followed by demotivation. Rinse. Repeat”

The dynamic reminds me of nothing so much as a yearly crash diet before swimsuit season. Just wondering if there’s a way to incrementally add 10W per season as a long slow process.

1 Like

Me the same! Up and down. But I am not sure I could extend the maximum number over the time.

No magic - early gains were through a lot of threshold riding around FTP, then this stopped working and the “silver bullet” is 2 weeks of vo2 max block, then couple weeks of threshold progression to around 4x20@ftp. Currently pushing from below does not work well so I know I have to push my vo2 max.

1 Like

Pushing from below vs pushing VO2 max, is that similar to pushing the power curve to the right vs pushing the power curve up?

So pushing to the right by trying to go longer at or slightly below threshold. And pushing up by doing intervals at above threshold level.

1 Like

Can be said it is the case. But from below can be also done by SST workouts etc. I always work on extending the curve to the right (that is why at 60 min TTE all my threshold workouts are min 60min TiZ) and it really helps with the overall endurance but doing vo2 max workouts to move the ceiling is instant boost for me every time - according to WKO my FTP is 83% of VO2 max so this should explain this. But I do not see linear relation to 5 min power (in term of watt gained, not gains as a whole) . And I am definitely not anaerobic rider as I am really crap at anything shorter than 3 min.

2 Likes

Anyone over 50 that could share the FTP gains? I mean, awesome that gains are huge among the younger than us 50 but those with foot in their 50s? Cheers.

1 Like

I was 52 last month. Gone from a ramp test FTP of 280 in September to 318 on a test last week - SSBMV 1+2, then repeated SSBMV2. Dropped 13kg in the process, so w/kg from 3.05 to 4.05 as a result.

I’ve done TR base plans two or three times before, but the difference this time has been taking on all the advice regarding nutrition and recovery which I’d previously paid no attention to. It’s made a world of difference.

10 Likes

I’m 54, and will be 55 this year.

I tested ftp 169 off a ramp test in Dec 19. Some of this will be as I’d just switched to recumbent from road bike. I felt mostly leg limited. It does take a while for the legs to adapt.

I followed a polarised program, two Vo2 max workouts a week. The rest low intensity. About 10 hours a week ride time. By July 20 my ftp off a ramp test was 252W.

I’ve been in maintenance mode since then as no events going on and didn’t want to burn out. I haven’t done a ftp test since July. I did try one of my VO2 max sessions at the July 20 intensities in Dec 20 and was able to complete it, but my HR hit 95% of max by end of third set. Normally it’d hit 91-93% by end of third set.

So I reckon I’m still in touching distance. I plan to do a ramp test tomorrow if I feel fresh enough. This winter I’ve kept the work up to try and maintain where I got to, rather than start again each year. Maintenance for me means one high intensity Vo2 max session a week.

In about a week I plan to start a build again. Not expecting same gains as last year. But hopefully beginning from a much higher starting ftp.

I currently weigh 72kg if that helps you compute W/kg for comparison.

8 Likes

I’m 51. Started off the couch 09/28/20 with an FTP of 147 doing a LV plan with very few extra rides until recently. Last ramp test was 01/19/21 @ 226W. 6’4" 232lbs so I should have some room to grow that FTP even being 50+…next ramp test is in a couple weeks, expecting another good sized bump based on how my workouts have felt and my NP/IF during a 73mi gravel race I completed yesterday. Noob gains and all that but it’s working for me.

5 Likes

Vo2 Test today. I’m still waiting for the final analysis but looks like I may have added about 20 watts to my FTP doing LV base and power-build since January.

3 Likes

I think unless you have been at your peak and put in serious work in the past there’s always room to improve as you age. Yes, genetic potential declines as you age. But who knows where that ceiling is? You may still be well below it.

1 Like

Am 54. I joined TR in November as all the cyclocross races that I trained towards were cancelled. So no of the couch gains.
Using plan builder and is now in build.
Ramp test results

7 Likes

Good steady movement there.

Have been a TrainerRoad user for 2 years now and just had my best base phase.

Did the LV SSB plan, just finished SSB2, and added in some extra endurance / recovery rides and the occasional extra Zwift race. Some weeks I swapped out one of the prescribed workouts for a race to keep at 3 high intensity sessions per week. Also sometimes swapped out the 90min workout for a longer endurance ride. Otherwise I have stayed consistent to the plan.

Saw FTP rise from 261W to 279W (tested this morning). 3.95W/kg to 4.23. This is the highest FTP I have ever recorded since starting cycling properly 3 years ago.

Just about to go into LV sustained power build - in past years I have made the mistake of going to mid volume for the build phase, burning out and then having to drop back to LV.

Really happy with the solid progression I have made with TR.

7 Likes
Date Plan FTP W/kg
April 20th, 2020 Initial Test 208W 2.2W/kg
June 2nd, 2020 Completed Sweet Spot Base MV1 224W 2.46W/kg
July 15th, 2020 Completed Sweet Spot Base MV2 240W 2.74W/kg
August 11th, 2020 Midway Sustained Power Build MV 244W 2.83W/kg
September 9th, 2020 Completed Sustained Power Build MV 249W 3.04W/kg
November 9th, 2020 Completed 1st half Century MV and Traditional Base MV1 239W 3.03W/kg
December 15th, 2020 Completed Sweet Spot Base MV1 252W 3.21W/kg
February 2nd, 2021 Completed Sweet Spot Base MV2 258W 3.26W/kg
March 2nd, 2021 Midway Sustained Power Build LV + Z2 263W 3.35W/kg

Felt like I needed to back off the intensity a little, so I started with LV build and extra Z2 rides. FTP still increasing and I feel a bit better.

Weight has plateaued for the past 4 months and I can definitely stand to lose some more fat, but I don’t want to push it. My Withings scale says otherwise, but I think my body composition is slowly changing for the better.

13 Likes
Date FTP W/kg
12th Jan (start SSB MV 1) 287 3.5
2nd March (start SSB MV2) 299 3.86

Aiming for 4.2 W/kg by the 9th October (following XCO plan) with 4.5 W/kg as a stretch goal.

Currently at 77.5kg, down from 81. Aiming to very slowly lose weight down to 74kg, so an FTP improvement to 333W will get where I’d like to be.

Putting this up to help hold me accountable!

8 Likes

51yr old male, 6’4"…literally off the couch with no fitness after 15 yrs away from cycling.

09/28: 147 113kg 1.3 W/kg
11/10: 190 110kg
12/23 207 108kg
01/19 226 108kg

Rolling Road Race LV1 led me to:
03/04/21 245 102.9kg 2.38 W/kg

One of those tests where I just couldn’t muster the GRRRRRRRRR to keep going when I needed to. In the past I’ve been able to grit it out another 30-45 seconds at that same point…talking myself through 10 seconds at a time, but not tonight. I know I had it in me, but mentally I wasn’t there. Could have broken the 100W gain mark! No worries though, next text in 5 weeks.

12 Likes

You should just strut around the house, exclaiming “33% more fit baby! Feast your eyes on this!!” until she shares your excitement. Trust me. She’ll get “excited” for you if you promise to stop after that goes on a few days.

My home life is very interesting lol :rofl:

3 Likes

My schedule has been ridiculously chaotic the last couple of years which keeps throwing entire tool boxes, never mind just wrenches, into my training plans.

50yr old male, 10+ years of limited fitness-related activity. I used to be a big CompuTrainer rider back in the late 90s/2000s then got very busy with work / work travel / kids etc.

Date - FTP - weight - w/kg
Nov 2017: FTP 143, 110kg, 1.3
Mar 2018: FTP 200, 95.5kg, 2.1
Jul 2018: FTP 235, 92.1kg, 2.6
Sep 2018: FTP 255 85.6kg, 3.0

My schedule had been a bit sporadic that resulted in limited workout time, so I’ve often found my FTP back down to around 200 or so - and yet it doesn’t take me that long to get it back up to 240-250 again. I’d really really like to take a crack at getting to a w/kg of 3.5, if I can ensure a schedule that fits in one or two more training blocks after I’ve gotten back up to the 250 level or so. Maybe this time.

I love racing on Zwift since it scratches a competitive itch and races don’t a) eat up the entire day b) cost an arm and a leg and c) don’t mean I risk serious injury due to skittish riders (includes myself). So I train to get fitter, and to get faster in Zwift races. I use TR as my plan base, and mix in SUF workouts, Zwift rides and of course Zwift races.

Incidentally, I often do two FTP tests - the SUF’s 4DP test and the TR ramp test. I think they measure slightly different things, and each can provide useful information. Cycling’s an endurance sport, so getting used to getting stuck in for 20 minutes of discomfort is useful training. Certainly the 4DP test is a great workout, if nothing else, usually leaves me toast the next day.

But FWIW, my 20-minute power number from the 4DP test is generally right around what the Ramp Test
comes up with, so in my case it’s another data point that lets me know I’m on the right track.

10 Likes

yeah, but he -started out- at a w/kg of 3! That’s insane…

1 Like