Your best bib short recommendations - 2018-2022ish

Thanks… and I am in NZ so we have a look at these. I haven’t bought any Ground Effect stuff for ages but it used to have a good rep.

1 Like

I like the bibs from rapha, but I still prefer castelis aero race bibs, being team bibs I get a discount

1 Like

Got my self self a pair of Endura FS260 Pros a few weeks back. I’ve not done more than 60mile rides in them yet but so far its :+1: from me.

I’ve been super happy with Pactimo Stratos and Raptor (both just got redesigned). Super comfy for long rides and a nice chamois. I’m an ambassador if you want a discount code shoot me a PM I can’t post it publicly

While they are a bit pricy, I’m really happy with my castelli free aero 4 and competizione. They Fit my larger thighs and stay in place without chafing on longer rides.
I did take a chance and buy a pair of Craft aero bib shorts, there is a nice compression around my thighs. Only done 1 longer ride with them, but they held great without cream for 4 hours.

I’ve tried on:
Few Castelli models - too tight, not a good fit for me.
Assos T Équipe EVO and Equipe RS S9 - amazing fit but the pad just didn’t work for me, uncomfortable after 15 minutes.
Endura Pro SL - way too tight around the hip bone.
Band of Climbers Icon Explore - good level of comfort and fit overall, but nothing sensational. Two extra pockets are nice.
Uyn Alpha - fit is almost as good as Assos - wish the straps would be slightly longer. The pad is super comfortable and never moves. Just as comfortable after 10 minutes as 4 hours. Finally found proper bib shorts for me. Highly recommended!

1 Like

Classic Cycling Hors Category bibs. I ride a lot of mountain bike with them and usually forget about them. That’s a good thing.

@Cleanneon98 I have a pair of the Raptor bibs circa 2020 version and a pair of the new Ascent bibs I ordered as member of their PAC. Both are size medium. I find the Raptor chamois is too bulky and loose down front, so it’s not holding things in place so to speak. Whereas the Ascent fits great (5’10" / 165-170lbs). However, the leg opening gripper on the new Ascent bib has inches of gripper-dots (technical term) that feel too restrictive and grippy for me. I suspect the Stratos is the sweet-spot where I should have gone in the first place.

Do you have the newer Stratos or Raptor? I’m curious how they compare to the prior versions.

1 Like

Rapha Classic Bibshorts II was my go to bib. Absolutely loved it. Soft materials made them disappear and they were my favorite chamois too. Unfortunately, they just changed it to a new version. I commend them for going to recycled materials, but it made the materials less soft and the leg grippers are absolutely terrible. The grippers are about 3 inches long and VERY stiff. If you put that together with the current trend of very long leg length, the grippers actually didn’t make full contact with my leg and just flopped around.

A while back this thread turned me on to Voler Black Label bib shorts, which have become my new standby. Besides the dialed fit and comfortable chamois, I appreciate that they haven’t jumped on the long-inseam bandwagon like so many other brands. I have short thighs for my height.

Recently I rolled the dice on a pair of POC Aero VPDS bib shorts, which also sport a short inseam, and if they weren’t twice the price of the Volers, they would be my new favorites. I like the fit, fabrics, and chamois better than any other premium bibs I’ve tried (Assos, Rapha, Craft, and a couple others). Recommended, if you can afford them.

I’d appreciate pointers to other well-loved bibs with short inseams, because once you find something you like, the manufacturer is bound to change it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m interested. The Rapha change has me looking for my new favorite. Would you mind sharing a pic of the Voler and POC chamois? You can send in PM if you prefer.

They’re definitely on the pricier side of things but I recently got a pair of Eliel Laguna Seca Bibs and they are really good. The price is similar to that of the Rapha Pro Team stuff. So if you are looking for a pair of high end bibs then I would definitely check out Eliel. They are also made in the US if that matters to anyone.

Wiggle’s dhb Aeron bib shorts have been my favorite for a while. I’ve never owned any of the high end bibs like Assos or similar so I can’t compare, but these feel better than my le cols or Raphas.

https://www.wiggle.com/dhb-aeron-bib-shorts-1

I have the old Raptor and old Stratos. I just ordered a new set of the 2021 raptor with the smaller chamois to try, I have to adjust myself with the larger chamois but very very rarely

Some of my friends now say Core is like the old Classic. I’ve never had the classics myself, just the pro team stuff. My last additions to the Pro team stuff has been Gore (I forget the model) and Endura Pro Team and I’ve been happy with them on a few imperial centuries and fast group rides.

I’ve tried quite a few over the last 10 years and now my go to is the Craft Essence.

Thanks. The Core aren’t bad, but they’re a big step down from the Classic II. The fit is different and the material is much harsher. Having said that, they aren’t a. bad deal at their price point.

1 Like

Voler is red, POC is green. Comparing the two, the pad feels similar in thickness and density, but the shape of the POC chamois is a better fit for my anatomy.

1 Like

That is scary for me…short person with short legs…

1 Like

Thanks!