Winter glove suggestion

Look for primaloft insulation (Gold if you can get it) - extremely windproof, very warm and low bulk. Loads of brands offer them in various forms but I have some Sportful ones which are excellent - wore them the last couple of days with temps around 0c and a biting N wind, and I was fine - and somebody that usually feels cold feet and hands very very quickly and easily.

1 Like

A couple years ago I picked up some cheap ($15 or $20) ski gloves from Costco and use them on the bike maybe 5 times a year. My wife suggested them, and that we could bring 'em back if they didn’t work out. They have really nice grippy material on the palm and support touchscreens (I’ve only used them with my phone). I wear my summer gloves inside for the padding.

You beat me to it

Man, they aren’t cheap…but as someone who is an admitted glove slut, I may have to consider them.

Seriously, I buy gloves like some women buy shoes….I’m always looking for the perfect pair for the perfect temp.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Looking at some thin silk glove liners to go w/ the Pearl Izumi gloves to start with; if those don’t work, I’ll go down the list here

It definitely leaves your hands wet and soggy but it also works real well to keep them warm. The latex keeps all the water from evaporating so they don’t cool down.

1 Like

I have the full set, wind proof, waterproof, light and heavy liners, If i did it again, i probably would not get both the wind and waterproof. Id just use the waterproof for wind and rain. The silk liners are rad, gonna need to get a second set after two seasons of use.

1 Like

What an opener.

:raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

I reserve my neoprene gloves for (heavy) rain only, not freezing temps as neoprene needs to trap the moisture to keep your hands warm. Dry neoprene gloves are slightly windproof, but not warm. As said before, they do not keep you dry but at least I stay warm on longer rides in heavy rain in temps from maybe +3C and above. And my fingers get cold very easily.

yep - neoprene is rubbish for cold weather protection in my experience. Every time I’ve used in any kind of cold rain my hands were like blocks of ice in no time…

Impossible to find a one and all glove. As a backcountry skier I spend a lot of time moving uphill, going downhill, in and out of variable temps from previous dawn starts to end of day return.

Like skiing I find that I end up carrying 2-3 pairs of gloves when riding in winter. On my road and gravel bikes, the climbs get hot and I’m dripping layers and going to thin gloves and then adding layers and thicker gloves for descents and rollers.

I usually carry Pearl Izumi lobster claws, a pair of Ziener wind blocker and light insulated full finger gloves, and a pair of Pearl Izumi light weight full finger gloves. In a typical ride here in Germany in winter I am in all three pairs in a 2-4 hour road or gravel ride.

The neoprene gloves from Spatz are decent too, tbh most of their kit (especially the overshoes) are excellent, I swear by the Roadman overshoes, base layers also.

(no affiliation btw just a happy customer)

Thx, you just cost me $250. Been looking around for a gilet with no floppy neck and those gloves look good too.

1 Like

Don’t forget to keep your core warm!

Once your core temp drops your body will constrict blood flow to the extremities and the best gloves/footwear won’t save you.

1 Like

The burnr? excellent piece of gear, carry mine in the winter as a back up layer too,

1 Like

Burnr - yes

I like vests (gilets) a lot. Have the normal featherweights, a mid weight (*) and a couple heavy weights. But most have a high neck. Unless you fully zip up, that neck part flaps around in the wind and is annoying.

Only issue with the Burnr is it’s black color. Prefer hi-vis for my outer layer. Off road here in hunting season definitely want orange.

Are those gloves, Thermoz gloves good for sub freezing temps? Say 20-30 deg F ?

Use mine in the UK winter, 5c and below, the slip over lobsters are a nice touch and you can access a finger for touch screens too.

1 Like

If you want most warmth per weight and bulk then you want mitts. But depends on how easy you find braking and gear changes wearing mitts. For the temps you suggest a thin not to tight wind stopper fleece glove can work well. Look at mountaineering gloves for options.

I sometimes wear VBLs in the winter on my feet - basically, just thin plastic bags that go over a thin liner sock, with an insulating sock on top. Then my riding boots.

They work well - but if I ride too hard and sweat, my feet end up soggy. VBLs work best at lower intensity where you’re not sweating - so generally work best for long slow rides vs short fast ones.