Which tubeless sealant?

Orange Seal Endurance FTW!

1 Like

Orange is my go to.

1 Like

Stan’s Race sealant has been really good, also had great results with Orange Seal regular.

I have always used Stan’s. Recently I used the Stan’s Race Sealant and it ended up clogging my valve stems. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else using the Stan’s Race Sealant. However it was/is a relatively easy fix. I have not tried other sealants but understand Orange Seal is great as well. I have always had great luck with Stan’s so I do not plan to switch. Cheers!

Stans (not race) is my go to, as mentioned earlier the race clogs the valve stems but it does seem to seal quicker so I guess it depends on your preference. Orange seal is also ok, but I find it more of a pain to clean from the inside of the tyre when I want to store it.

@Eightball You can also check out the following thread that had comments on sealants

For me its Stans all the way. Served me well since way back in 05 when I got my first tubeless wheels. (which by the way are still going strong Mavic Crossmax SL, ssc editions)

Exact same experience that I had. Stan’s has worked flawlessly for me for MTB but could not get it to seal my new road setup.

Orange sealant did the job.

1 Like

Have Orange Seal Endurance in both of my road wheelsets.
This past weekend it was put to the test for the first time. With the help of a CO2 cartridge, it sealed a nail puncture with enough air in the tire to ride home.

3 Likes

Stan’s race clogs stems like a big dog. Fortunately you can buy 10packs of valve cores cheap on amazon.

I had the opposite. I could not, for the life of me, get Orange to seal on a pair of Schwable G-one Allroads on DTSwiss r460 rims. Bike shop also had no luck. I ordered a bottle of Stan’s Race and it sealed very first time.

For the record, I use and like both.

Should have said - think we are both referring to standard not race stans. Never tried that.

Yeah, the standards Stans sealant seems fine for me up to about 45psi, above that it struggles. At 80+psi it simply doesn’t work for me. The Stans race sealant is a different beast and, although I’ve not used it personally, seems to work well at higher pressures based on the experiences of people I ride with

1 Like

I can’t add much as I am new to tubeless. I have been running road tubeless (Flo rims) for about 18 months now. I have only used Stan’s Race. It has fixed a number of punctures now. It is thick and can be hard to work with (having to pull a edge of the tyre off to pour it in) but it does the job.
I will say, I’ll never go back to a tubed setup.

2 Likes

no one try tire plasma tubeless sealant? made by E*thirteen components

Stan’s or Orange Seal. Those two seem to dominate the US market. I’ve used both and only every had one puncie that wouldn’t seal…and that was a slow leak. If I’m riding tubeless it’s during a 100+ gravel race, though. So depending on where you’re riding there might be better solutions.

I’ve read on another forum that some people are doing a little bit of Orange seal, letting it dry out, and then adding Stans. The theory is that the Orange seal provides an initial coating inside the tire.

Is anyone trying these combo techniques?

Personally, I’ve had good luck with Stans regular on my gravel bike. I went road tubeless (GP5000TL + Orange Seal) in October 2019 but I haven’t had a single flat yet.

I run tubeless on both my Commuter (32mm slicks) and my Road Bike (25mm tires) I started with Stans but it never held well at road tire pressures (~60psi on the commuter, 80 on the road) Switched to Orange which worked better. My local shop stopped carrying Orange Seal and I went to Stans Race which also works well at higher pressures. That said I still run into issues if the hole is big enough.

I worry about availability and compatibility between sealants more than slight improvements in performance. If I were to use a lesser known brand and run out and can only get Stans (or Orange Seal etc) at my local shop (or at the race support shop) I don’t want to worry about either cleaning the old stuff out of the tire or if the chemicals are compatible.

My biggest recommendation if your going to switch to tubeless is get a plug kit and use it.

+1 for Orange Seal regular. Both Orange and Stan’s are good for sealing little pinholes like from goat heads, etc, but Orange does a noticeably better job at larger holes and/or cuts/holes on the sidewall (pinches from rim strikes, for example). Nowadays there are also a few great options for tubeless plugs that can help fix fairly sizable punctures. There is plenty of n=1 evidence out there for using these on MTB/gravel tires, but they are also really good for helping the sealant deal with punctures on road tubeless at higher pressures. Recently I was riding with a buddy who got a fairly significant puncture from a piece of glass on his Schwalbe Pro One 28 tubeless tire. Sealant was spraying everywhere, and it was obvious it wouldn’t be able to seal. He jammed a single dyna plug in there and we were able to ride another 40 miles without incident. Since then, I keep a plug setup in my seat bag on my road bike, too.

1 Like

Another vote for Stan’s. Caffelatte is also well rated but I have no first hand experience with it.

Stay away from Finish Line. They claim it lasts as long as the tires and isn’t affected using CO2 so no need to top up but it just goes slimy and doesn’t seal road TL very well.