Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2022)

I went on a solo adventure yesterday. I left home in Columbus to meet my wife who had been in Cincinnati for work.

13 Likes

Told the kids I wanted mitochondria for Father’s Day so I enjoyed a nice endurance ride on the San Diego coast.

10 Likes

Didn’t ride, did a day of tree cleaning off my local trail.

Has some storms come thru last week that wreaked havoc with the trees.
My buddy Joe in the pic

8 Likes

Mt. Weather (VA, USA)

Belated Father’s Day gift - morning out on the bike while the wife ran the kids around to three separate swim practices and one to work. (I love my wife!!)

The main climb up to the top of Mt. Weather is 6.8 miles and 1400 ft. Last year was a low-cadence slug fest due to inadequate gearing on my old bike. The (relatively) new bike has SRAM Rival AXS so the 33:36 was perfect for a threshold effort up the steepest part.

Interestingly, I was 6.5 minutes slower this year on the exact same route with nearly identical average power. The old bike was too big, so I think I was actually more aero by having to reach even for the hoods. My new bike is soooooo much more comfortable, though - due to proper fit and 28mm tubeless tires - so well worth being a little bit slower. Just more motivation to raise my FTP.

Anyway, awesome ride. Great weather (cool with low humidity). Lot of wildlife including a deer in the exact same spot a buck tried to run me over last year. This time it was a doe and she opted for the woods on her side of the street, instead of crossing in front of me.

10 Likes

The weekend was a bit of a wash. I was parkrun run director on Saturday and we had an issue with the results. By the time we got that sorted I was in no mood to ride.
I had a quick mental health ride (29 easy minutes in the neighbourhood) before my rescue boat shift yesterday.
Today, I finally got out for a more satisfying ride, avoiding being attacked by any blackbirds. This is the only picture I took,

but I really wished I video’d my new favourite stretch of road locally ( here, but imagine it all lush and green Google Maps )

9 Likes

Today was supposed to be an office day but there was a rail strike in the UK and I didn’t fancy the 70 mile drive, so I was going to wfh. Then I got thinking this was the longest day :thinking:

The mud guard broke so every time it got rough it was like I was cycling with the brakes on.

The return:

20220621_210343

And something I think I deserve :beers:

15 Likes

Well done! :muscle:

2 Likes

Nice ride!

This was the year I was hoping to do this longest day monster:

Even had someone lined up to ride with, but life got in the way :frowning:

Hoping to make it happen next year!

8 Likes

Did my longest ride of the year, on the longest day of the year

7 Likes

Nice ride. Good on you for the 201km (124mi), that’s a good ride. But my eyes bulged at seeing 246m (807 feet) of ascent. Sure, that means virtually no climbing, but it also means virtually no resting! Looks like it was a nice day for a scenic ride.

1 Like

It was one of the longer version of our mid week chaingang (pace line) tonight. I made the mistake of wearing finger less gloves thinking at 26deg C itd be warm enough for the fingertips. I was wrong, I should have guessed just last year Tenerife was too cold for them. I foolishly thought after 7 months they might be able to with stand more. Not long after we turned into the cooling North wind, however my hands started to go numb and the inside of the elbows ached. A legacy from my 2019 ‘treatment’. Back to long fingered gloves for me.

5 Likes

Our local XC race series tonight. A time trial up (getting passed), and a time trial down (trying to pass).

Redlined for pretty much an hour and a half. I deserved the beer afterwards.

8 Likes

Slowly ramping up training after an off-season. Some easy tempo tonight

Finished ride 3 minutes before sunset. Thankfully it didn’t hit 100F / 38C today because of the cloud cover:

Just heard thunder, pretty rare for NorCal in the summer.

Started ride at 90F with my late start, going forward I’ll try and ride in the morning to beat the high afternoon temps.

7 Likes

I had Pen y Castell in my calendar today, a level 3 SS workout, perfect for taking outdoors but being conscious of my TSS over the last few days I didn’t push it. I thought Id try and head to the flat Fens to try and get consistency. Unfortunately it wasn’t until the 3rd interval that I got there. Its a nice and consistent interval but I decided it would be best to head back. Resulting in too much shifting to try and maintain the power and prescribed low cadence. So much so the whole drive chain locked up mid flight. I realised what it was the chain had jumped off the cassette and the little bit of force was enough to snap the cable. I might be wrong but I think I only replaced it in March. Surprisngly I am only 9% below the target intensity but given that deliberate lowering of intensity I’ll mark it as a did not pass :joy:

4 Likes

Completed an everesting on Sunday Started at 2.50am and finished around 11.30pm.

17 Likes

Damn, well done!!

3 Likes

Ouch! Congratulations :champagne:

2 Likes

Thank you

Thank’s :slightly_smiling_face:

Awesome. Llongyfarchiadau!

1 Like