Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2021)

Weather is a warmer 6ºC and I’m getting giddy with the forecast of high of 14ºC tomorrow and thinking it’s nearly time to swap out the winter kit with the summer (3 season, really) kit in a box in the basement. Clearly, all of my Southern California blood is completely flushed from my system after being away for more than a decade.

Donner was on the calendar, though Plan Builder apparently replaced it with a Ramp Test when, two weeks into SSLV2, I changed the build to Sustained Power Build (from General). (Support is aware.) In an act of rebellion (sort of, ok not really), I went for an outdoor ride. It was a late start, 6:40a, still dark, as the kids are on their February break so I don’t have to be in the kitchen at 6:30a making breakfast and lunch for school.

It was an easy spin with the only fauna sighting (by me, can’t speak to “of me” by fauna) was a pair of eyes in the forest reflecting my helmet-mounted light. Probably a deer based on the height and location, but there was a weird sound come from the same direction that I think was an unusual bird call, or was it…

Except for near the end, not a person was seen.

In a seemingly random spot at a junction of paved lanes (bidirectional but barely more than a car in width) that seem to be more of a bypass connecting grazing and farm plots. Nearby is a proper two-lane road, with minimal traffic. Regardless, there’s this book exchange sitting here. Many villages have a similar thing in town (ours has what is similar to a greatly oversized phone booth) where you drop off and/or pick up a book at your leisure.

With the ground less icy, logging ops have resumed. This is a managed forest and has been for, I’m pretty sure, is a few hundred years. The hillside in the background is a forest that was granted to the city of Zurich, whose boundary now is at least 10k away, but when it was granted was probably closer to 15k, for wood harvesting. It’s has a protected central core but still is logged on the periphery, mostly to sustain the forest. I suspect because of the intent to harvest the wood, the types of trees planted have incredibly shallow roots and are prone to falling in heavy winds. :man_shrugging:

As is usual, even though this was a “flatish” route, the power output looks like I was doing intervals. I’m anticipating a grander escape tomorrow of a 4+hr ride, which should be somewhat equivalent to the planned Clark workout of 90min, right?

8 Likes

Texas is a vast frozen tundra at the moment. 7+ inches of snow in Austin this past week, plus power outages and water shut off. So…the closest to “outside” I’ve gotten is daily TR workouts on the rollers in the garage…and the garage door stayed closed! Looking forward to sunshine, 60 deg and asphalt Sunday

4 Likes

Looks like you got similar weather to us (although we probably didn’t get it as long). Two weeks of snow (-9 deg C was the lowest here, in the Highlands it was -17 deg :cold_face:). Then +6 to +8 and dry which would have been perfect for riding in. We had a few days of storms just to the west of us keeping it warm facilitating that. Now just in time for the weekend those storms have reached us. I had a short ride this morning and myWindsock.com says the gusts were 35mph :wind_face:

1 Like

The crazy gusts we had last night seemed to had settled down and it was only showery rather than the forecasted heavy rain (that had mostly passed in the night) so I decided to relieve the Cabin Fever and follow Red lake +8.

About 15 minutes after I set off I p’tured on the town cobbles (I would normally avoid them by going through Carnegie Park, the Glen to us locals, but it tends to be full of new found walkers/ joggers. Hey ho, hopefully we’ll be a healthier nation when this is over). Fortunately it sealed and I started the workout.

Doh with the forecast I had set it up on TP to follow indoors and selected it for outdoors too. One good thing the TP version beeps at me less, so I just left it that way. With the greasy roads I decided it best anyway.

Coming back I found that the wind hadn’t dropped much at all it just was less gusty :sweat:

5 Likes

The weather improved with clear skies, the temp at 6C, and a forecasted high of 14C (though that would be well after my planned end). The trails should be reasonably clear of snow, but I would be venturing to higher elevation and found, nope, there was still snow and I had to end my ascent because of it.

To the left and down was a snow field of semi-hard pack icy-snow at an angle that was hard to traverse. I nearly turned around there because from where I exited the forest (in the left background), it looked like it went on and up, but I talked to some people hiking down and, well… anyway, I paused at this bench to eat a bar and take in the view. I’ve been here many times but the hike-a-bike plus trying to keep it easy caused me to pause.

This is what it looked like right before exiting the forest mentioned above, the edge of which is visible here. The trail goes straight with a bend to the right, but you’d never know it with the debris, which was like this in front of me and behind. One of several sections of hike-a-bike.

And then beyond the “picnic” pause, the ascent continues but the snow took over the trail. At this point, I already gave up and turned around. Here, I just got off the bike and it remained standing. Oh well.

My detour and subsequent trails covered in snow led me to seek “shelter” on pavement more than once. But, the views were fair compensation. The planned route would have had me behind and on the mountains to the left and entering the frame beyond the lake and returning along the lake’s opposite side. For another day.

It wasn’t fast, but it wasn’t meant to be. Time in the saddle (don’t acronymize it). Overall, Strava recorded the weather at 0C, which it was at times, but often probably more like 4-7, at most, even with the brilliant sunshine. This was the first day in easily six months that I wore my tinted lenses instead of my clears.

9 Likes

So cool!

Nevada desert ride on gravel, it was a fantastic route with some chunk, some smooth, and great vistas.
I’ve felt really out of shape the past couple of months while putting on a few lbs, but I just finished a TBLVII block + backcountry skiing and am getting back into shape. Just gotta get back on the saddle!

And some farm animals we passed with my steed. The goat then proceeded to pee next to my bike, demonstrating what it thought of biking, lol.

10 Likes

A long time ago we would have said that lake pic is (insert acronym here) :rofl:

4 Likes

Discovered about 7 miles of gravel via Strava, about 1+ hour ride from here and today was the day. Every adventure ride needs a theme song:

On the way out I finally stopped at a local farm that we buy heirloom tomatoes from during the summer. The sign on the county highway said Mandarin Oranges but turns out they have a lot of fresh produce:

Will shop there tomorrow!

Got to the turn off and talked with a guy on a motorcycle. He said there were a couple of creek crossings and he passed a guy on a mountain bike. And I thought twice about proceeding, and then remembered the opening lyrics from the theme song “ You’ve got to trust your instinct, And let go of regret”

Dismounted and my left foot got a little wet. No worries. Onward to the next creek:

Water up to ankles… wool socks for the win!

So the motorcycles and trucks were a little reminiscent of Mad Max but I kept pushing uphill and came across this:

A little post-apocalyptic but 5 miles in so gotta keep pushing on.

26c tubeless on the bike Cancellara built for Roubaix :clap:t3:

Finally after 7 miles of gravel potholes and ups and downs I crossed the Cosumnes River on an old bridge:

And hit the county highway for the 1+ hour ride home. About 3.75 hour moving time. Good times on a sunny winter day.

11 Likes

:joy: being from Los Angeles, I was (still am) fascinated by “old” buildings and infrastructure, which meant generally things from the 1920s through 1940s. When I lived in London, our not-so-old flat had “seen” autos for considerably less than half the time it has been standing and I’d regularly drink at pubs older than the US. That’s not to mention running along Hadrian’s Wall or along ancient Roman roads still with their paving stones in the “outback” of Tuscany (both for ultras). It’s all relative.

I forgot to upload this pic which goes with an earlier pic, causing @jmt to ask about frogs.

Again, no frogs to be seen. There is a creek immediately to the right.

BTW, on the left, there’s a farm implement normally dragged behind a tractor but here it’s turned on its end. On it, plus the cow sign before it, and further down the road the two “faux” trees with tripod-like bases and signs near their tops… these are baby announcements. These have been up for a while, but it’s a thing here. I don’t know if it’s a Swiss thing, a Swiss-German (ie eastern Switzerland) thing, or a German-Swiss (ie German) thing… but they are kind of cool. I’ve seen a lot of farmhouses where the signs, often with the DOB, are hanging on the barn or other for years after.

4 Likes

I am still fascinated by the frog situation. It just seems like amphibians should prefer more temperate climates. I hope you see some frogs soon and post pictures! And I also am amazed by how old things are in other countries. I have been lucky enough to visit Germany and London, but I have never been to Switzerland, but it is definitely on the list now! The view from that road by the lake is gorgeous. The only thing that would make it better would be actually seeing hedgehogs. :blush:

Not to say that the produce at that produce stand on @bbarrera ‘s ride wasn’t beautiful, too! And I wonder what the story is with the upside down car. Did one of the little creeks out there flood and flip it somehow? So weird.

1 Like

Well it’s only the human stuff you are considering as “old”! The landscapes are anything from 25,000 years to several million years old.

There is a house not far from where I grew up in the North of England that was sold in the early 1990s. The same family had occupied the building on that site since the 11th century, they are documented as living there in the Domesday Book!

Back on topic. The weather here hasn’t been great, yesterday was howling gales for example, so got out today for a tempo ride on the MTB. Ended up doing 52km and 730m ascent in just under 3hrs.

5 Likes

Still blowy here today but quite bright and thanks to this weather flow still relatively warm and dry. So I took Round Bald outside.

After I done the work out I stopped for a banana and took some pics. Glad I had refueled I thought it was a head wind all the way round but the real headwinds was to come. At least I had a draft at one point. There’s a serious of one working/ temporary traffic lights to install a new segregated cycleway and in the middle when it widened some muppet in a Chelsea Tractor pushed though only to have to slam on his brakes to avoid the car in front. Oh well at least when they got going I had a nice draft off the oversized vehicle :roll_eyes:
20210221_125637

7 Likes

After a couple of VERY cold days (-18 Celsius) it is now unseasonably warm (+18 Celsius) here in Germany.
I am not complaining :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

10 Likes

Quick spin to the nearest wooded area in the february heat :blush:

7 Likes

Did a big loop south to take in some of the hills!! Had a lovely tailwind on the way home which was needed… A lot :grinning: :grinning:

8 Likes

do you always ride according to star constellations? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Fairly regularly :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Really nice weather this weekend in Germany. 15C yesterday and 17C today.

Yesterday’s ride was on the Aethos and today on the Emonda. It was quite a bit easier to hold speed today given the same power, similar clothes and both being on Winter Tires.

9 Likes

South Florida easy ride with a couple pushes.

8 Likes