When did you realize you were a cyclist? Share your story

Realised I was a cyclist on ride one, I’m late to the cycling thing as I never had a bike as a kid nor had any interest in it, I have only been cycling for around 10 years. Long(ish) story so strap in… My wife, who has CF, met a bunch of guys that where fundraising for CF and a children’s heart ward cycling across the Uk then running back so she said I would cycle with them, bold of her seeing as I hadn’t really cycled nor was I that fit. So I had to buy a bike, my first ever. I bought a so so shop brand special MTB and on my first ride I cycled home some 20+ miles in freezing February and I loved it… I was immediately a cyclist and it has taken over my life. I only wish I had found cycling earlier.

5 Likes

After spending 52 minutes swimming and then I got on my bike and I felt at peace. I was also not happy when I got off it 1 hour later.

I haven’t gotten back in a pool since. And I barely run also.

1 Like

After my first race when I finished dead last (but finished “second” behind the winner of the race starting after me :smile:) Inspiration to train after that…

2 Likes

My gf seeing me in the shower with my bike.

2 Likes

I’d say the first time I bike commuted to work in a snowstorm and all the staff was incredulous and talking about it all day…

1 Like

I used to be cyclist, now I’m just a guy on a trainer. :confused:

3 Likes

Haha I feel this!

When I spent money on a trainer to inflict boredom and/or suffering for an hour or more to get faster
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

A few years ago when I decided to actually go all in on cycling and racing and setting goals. Prior to that I’d had about 15 years of exercising mostly to stay fit, have fun and commute. Plenty of cycling but also running, lifting, swimming, indoor rowing, etc. Dabbled in triathlons, duathlons, sportives and running events as well as some more adventure-oriented events. Never did any kind of cycling event that actually required a license.

Guess I could have passed as a “cyclist” easily enough in that time - was racking up ~5000 miles/year on the bike, had multiple bikes, clipless pedals, a chest full of cycling kit, could hold my own on fast group rides, picked up the occasional KOM. But didn’t think of myself as a cyclist because I didn’t race and because I did do other sports. And also because I knew “proper” racing cyclists and they always seemed to be all in on cycling - it was almost a badge of honour that they never went for a run, they poked fun at triathletes, they laughed if somebody referred to a sportive as a “race”, they avoided doing anything that might build upper body mass, etc. Might have been a little bit of inverse snobbery on my part as well - think I perceived cyclists as a bit of a cliquey crowd, that’s turned out to not really be the case (and/or I just joined the clique at some point…)

2 Likes

Shaving my legs according to my non cycling friends…any man who does it who doesn’t ride a bike…ok maybe swimmers as well! is nuts :laughing:

2 Likes