What's your "19 Minute Song"?

Finds like this are why I am glad this thread exists. This is awesome!

1 Like

Just gonna pretend like I haven’t spent so long trying to pick the right playlist for a workout that I had to cut it short to get to work on time…

For VO2 work and end of ramp tests, I’ve really been digging the “Instrumental Metal” playlist on Spotify. I’ll also occasionally throw on some like late 90’s style techno or hardstyle which is always fun. I also have 3Lau’s early mashup albums which are a good time.

For threshold/ SS intervals I recently found out about Retrowave, which is basically new bands that are an homage to the synthy sound that came out of the 80’s. “Bad Dream Baby” by September 87 is my go to right now to get through the last few minutes of an interval. I’ve also been doing more modern trance/ progressive house, like Eric Prydz’s Opus album. It’s 2 hrs long but never goes too intense so you can get in a really nice groove for longer workouts. My wife also has this awesome playlist that I can only describe as anthems for angsty suburban kids from the mid to late 2000’s, which I’ll use too (think Hawthorne Heights, Four Year Strong, Senses Fail).

A little bit different, but guaranteed to make you feel like you’re doing something epic:

I start it a little after 17 minutes.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I’m feeling really old reading this thread. FWIW for my ramp test this week I listened to Dave Edmunds Chronicles album. Get Out of Denver came on right about the 19 minute mark. In the past I’ve listened to Talking Heads’ Stop Making Sense live album. I think Burning Down the House was on at about 19 minutes … Also: I had a really good test this week. Thanks for asking. I credit Edmunds. Recommended.

2 Likes

I am split as to which version works better.

Bach’s Partita for Violin #2 (BWV 1002). You start it at the beginning of the ramp test, by the time things get rough you’re in the middle of the Chaconne, and nothing can make you stop there. Gidon Kremer preferably, but other versions can also work.

2 Likes

I’m not the hugest EDM fan in the world, generally my tastes are pretty varied, but the right kind of EDM does pump me up quite a bit. I sort of stumbled on my 19 minute song via shuffle, but it has stuck and definitely worked haha.

The song is Perfection by twoloud, Qulinez. Something about the voice yelling out “Perfection” helps to mentally hang on and then the beat drops and that particular type of beat really energizes me and boosts the adrenaline.

I usually try not to listen to it outside of tests but now that I am I’m excited for my test in a week.

1 Like

You win the Most Unexpected Suggestion award, but I have too much latent performance major neurosis for this to work :laughing: *hey remember that time you played the d minor fugue fifteen years ago and it was terrible? let’s dwell on that for the next few minutes*

2 Likes

DJ Snake + Lil Jon - Turn Down for What

(aka Turn Down for Watts)

4 Likes

I proudly accept this award. I want to thank my parents, and (mike cuts out).

You couldn’t have played anything close to this as a kid. If you had, you wouldn’t be here, your insurance would forbid getting close to a bike of any kind. And you’d be ogling centuries-old Italian instruments rather than everyone else’s carbon contraptions. :smiley:

Lifestyles of the Rich & the Famous – Good Charlotte

This one got me up 14 watts on my Ramp Test on Monday. :sweat_smile:

Nice find! That should keep the RPM up :muscle:

1 Like

Tends to be something like
Slipknot - Duality
Die MF Die - Dope
mOBSCENE - Marilyn Manson
Sugar - SOAD
Chop Suey! - SOAD
Bodies - Drowning Pool

I think you can see a pattern here… :slight_smile:

During workouts it’s rather different though. I enjoy DJ sets by Oakenfold and Fatboy Slim among others.

Live, or played loud on good speakers/headphones, and lots of classical music is enough to send shivers down ones spine.
I’ll have to give this one a try.
Thanks.

1 Like

I usually find something on YouTube. Music for relaxation or music to sleep to. Calming music stops me from feeling panicked when it gets hard and just let’s me feel my legs and breathing. Take in the good vibes and keep pushing.

2 Likes

Getting the timing to start it is critical. Works best when I can get one my kids to standby and play it 1 minute before I know I need it.

1 Like

I also like this one in a loop. Kinda figure if Neil & Co. Can land it on the moon, I can land it in the pain cave :wink:

:rofl:

7 Likes

Definitely like Carpenter Brut + Pertubator for hard efforts. Hew are a few similar songs that I like for hard efforts:

2 Likes