What workout did you do today? (2023)

Tired legs from yesterday, easy endurance volume today.

5 Likes

Looking back over the past couple days… Anaerobic 11? 5 hour indoor session? Are y’all doing alright?

7 Likes

Monday 21km Trail run Put on the trail five fingers again, not been doing enough in them so decided not to venture too far and just do orbits of local park just in case I had to pull the plug. All was good, not strains, aches with Achilles or Calves so completed the distance set.

Tuesday: Took a rest day, motorbike broke, corrosion of a connector for fuel pump, had to repair after work amongst other jobs so did no exercise.
Wednesday: Steamboat +2 Was scheduled for a 3.2 Sweetspot but as I’ve found last few workouts easy, I moved to a 4.4 productive one. Forgot about the low carb eating I’ve been trying out and two sets in I thought I’d have to bail. Legs were empty, lungs were fine.
Grabbed a gel, reduced intensity by 5% and held on for the third, other two were slightly easier. Happy to complete, mental win there, would have been so easy to have quit!

Mental note, ensure I’m fuelled correctly for workout if I continue this ‘mindful’ eating.

6 Likes

I’ve rarely found low carb and Sweetspot to be happy bedfellows :smile:

3 Likes

I had Owsley in my calendar tonight and fired on the Volta Catalunya re-live to get me through the long tempo bookends. I had actually seen it live but was working so never really took it in.

I’m not quite sure how intervals reckons that the first 8minutes under/over was actually 6mins of Z1. It has counted it right in the summary bar 3x8mins @ 240w (z4) :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Threshold ride. 3x15 @ FTP.

11 Likes

First workout back after a month off from knee ligament damage. AI says I lost 4%. Started with a vO2 and it went down fine. Yay for endorphins

Time to climb back out of the hole again

10 Likes

Endurance rides for me Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Back to a harder one tomorrow.

7 Likes

I want your, I want your, I want your FTP

2 Likes

Well, I don’t think any of us are ever really satisfied :rofl:

I’m around 175# at that FTP, more of an anaerobic / VO2 Max type of an athlete, and of course I’m training for Leadville where w/Kg and long duration endurance matters. So, I’m a little bit out of my comfort zone and training for something I’m not naturally good at. But, I started training around 14 months ago at 240w FTP, and I’ve never done the volume I’m doing now, so probably still seeing some amount of “newbie gains”

1 Like

Very true. I just long for the ability to hold 180 NP for 2 hours as endurance so I can hit my daily caloric burn much more easily!

3 Likes

I had Baird +3 in my calendar first up this week. Its usually Tuesday that I’d do my workout, but its BST (clocks have went forward) and I’ll probably ride the chaingang (paceline) on Wednesday night so Tuesday will be a low intensity day. I took too long to get to sleep last night (my body was probably still on GMT) and I probably should have stuck to doing the HIIT workout on Tuesday and a Monday recovery day after riding Saturday and Sunday. I couldn’t spin fast enough on a 0 gradient virtual course (I’d need to spin 95-105rpm, and I was only spinning 89-95rpm). Where as last week after a rest day I felt I got into the zone every interval and emptied the tank on the last ones. I didn’t feel that tonight!

7 Likes

Polarised MV last week of build before a rest week.the two minute rest intervals made the effort painful. On the other side you do learn to eat the discomfort. Just.

7 Likes

Owlshead

Plus a few extra. First good bike workout in a week. Four-minute recoveries help!

11 Likes

2x20 Threshold intervals at FTP

10 Likes

After a week of low carb, and struggling on that sweetspot last week, I’ll be more mindful in my approach, so lots of rest days had to recharge and squeeze a few workouts in. I’m starting to think of tapering running distance for my first event in two weeks (20mile 4000ft) , maybe cut back 60km a week to 30-40km
Friday 22.7km Evening Run
End of week clear head run, most enjoyable, taking it easy and enjoying the trail

Sunday 21.12km Trail run
I do the Comer National trust end of month 10km every month. It’s an informal run, un-timed and took this one fairly easy. Almost all drop out at 10km but it’s nice to have company for first bit. To get volume up for the week I added another 11km on. Not until the end I realised I was in for an under 2 hr half marathon, not something I’ve done in recent years, so upped pace for last 1km. 1:59:33 for Half. Does make me wonder what I could get if I actually tried that on a flat course with decent surface and paced myself! But know I wouldn’t enjoy it like this run… Volume is getting me faster!

Tuesday Spruce -2 Sweetspot 3.2
Return of the sweetspot, ensured I was carbed up, what a difference it makes…

Put some threshold into the workout as been missing that for last couple of weeks.

9 Likes

The stoke level is high after finishing this threshold workout - especially after having a hard time at it a couple of weeks ago. Coming off a rest week and it did me good. I was able to beat each power target and finished strong. Feels so good to knock this one out and confirm that my fitness is improving. Next up - over/unders…tbc.

10 Likes

Azurite -4. “A brute but a Coach Chad favorite”

I was pretty nervous before I started. But managed it and it feels very rewarding. You’re right, Chad :grinning:

(FYI 51 years old, 237 FTP / 3,6 w/kg, 2 years on TR with LV schedules)

12 Likes

Easy spin, trying to recover from the last few days.

8 Likes

Capitan

Trainer issue after the first interval, required a restart. Add a couple more.

11 Likes