What workout did you do today? (2022)

Pretty hard, 100 TSS, no carbs, keto

10 Likes

I did McGregor the other day and felt absolutely grim throughout it. Felt really hard, much harder than it should have done. I think looking back at it, I didn’t fuel myself properly as I was trying to cut back on the calories and I guess with these longer sweet spot efforts they require some extra calories. You’d think after 6 years of using TR I’d have learnt that by now :man_shrugging:

Tonight I did Copper and ate a gel before the ride and a some SIS electrolyte powder in my bottle (60g of carbs) and it felt sooooo much easier. The rpe was a million times better. Think I’m gonna have to do this going forwards now!

Also I used the new FTP detection and got a cheeky 3w increase so that’s a win :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Peters today for me, after a week off, and the first session after a 6w FTP increase by AI detection. Quite tough. But onwards…

11 Likes

I think I read somewhere that we can only do AI FTP once a month now, so those 3 watts are valuable!

2 Likes

a gel is typically 100 kCal and those workouts are 1400 so you can fuel a lot more while still being in deficit…

1 Like

Three Sisters to wake me up this morning.

Couple of gels and some SIS powder in my bottle made this feel hard, but super manageable.

Feel a bit stupid saying this but feel like i’ve just realised my car has 6 gears instead of only 5 by fuelling more for the work :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

Karakoram +2 today. The last set killed me.

15 Likes

VO2 Max Hard Starts 4 × 4

I’ve created a few custom workouts for next season, and I thought I ought to try them out beforehand so I know if they actually work or not. This one does. Got over 12 minutes in at > 90%HRMax.:+1:

45 seconds at 130% and then “settling in” at 115% for 3:15.

When I get to my VO2 Max block I’ll progress it by adding an interval - and then another. There will also be workouts with 5 minute intervals and I’ll have a go at 8 minute intervals too.

13 Likes

Awesome! I love building custom workouts

Not to derail…but what’s it mean if one’s LT HR (161 bpm) based on several 20 min FTP tests is already greater than 90% HR max (175 bpm). I have alot to learn :rofl::sweat_smile:

Sheeesh :open_mouth:

? what do you think?

I think ‘pretty hard’ is an understatement. That looks really very difficult to do -particularly with no carb fuelling.
Great effort :muscle:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Priceless

That was a little rough on only 12.5 hours of rest from yesterday’s ride.

I’m toying with the idea of switching from FasCat 10-Week Weight Training to TR Traditional Base, at least for the cycling portions. I’ll still do the cycling-specific lifting, but probably skip the hypertrophy phase since that did little / nothing for me last year, and stick with “adaptation” as I tend to respond better to lower weight / higher reps. Instead of the muscle tension intervals, which bother my knees, I’ll do TR Traditional Base II and III. I think this will also cover the FasCat sprintervals, too.

For now, both are on my calendar and I’ll see how the next week goes. I also have a lot of business travel that I need to manage, making the interval sessions of TB II and III a little more difficult to manage - way easier to do a Z2 spin on a bike in the hotel gym than intervals.

10 Likes

Just finished a recovery week, and a weekend in the mountains. Back to base training and thinking about how I want to modify my plan/training to include some winter cross training.

11 Likes

anything 7.7 is quite hard…

I got a call at 1h02 that new grandkid was born and the rest of my workout just flew by. The brief interruption & couple seconds of backpedalling didn’t trigger AT to prompt me with “why did you struggle?” but that would have been funny to answer. :rofl:

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

17 Likes

Congratulations :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

4 Likes

Sleeping Beauty +4 for me today.

One way to wake yourself up on a Tuesday morning :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

Dombai - Endurance 6.0

Wanted something long again after a couple of Zwift races either side of a VO2 Max workout. Repeated last week’s experiment of doing the ride on just water after a meal (a hearty breakfast of granola with dried druit and nuts with whole milk and Greek yoghurt) and it was fine. Kept my cadence fairly high (85 to 90).

11 Likes

Took the latter half off last week off due to unexplained knee pain… it’s mostly gone now and unfelt while riding. Just as important, I slept well last night because my toddler slept well. Gotta take advantage of good sleep with a good training session.

9 Likes