What workout did you do today? (2021, part 1)

Feeling cocky after getting through Bird+5 last week I decided to have a go at Bird+6. Terrible, terrible, terrible idea :sweat_smile:.

Scraped through first set. In a moment of panic I decided to switch to resistance mode on the second interval of the second set. Not a good idea, cassette is super crunchy. Realising I was in an ever-deepening hole of my own making I pulled the plug. Switched over to Mills (my prescribed set) to get two more sets of work in.

Mills is too easy for me atm. Need to figure out my VO2 progression without killing myself again.

16 Likes

Fang Mountain +1

During the first interval, a loop of the Volcano, there was no burn in the over. So I turned up erg to 105% and proceeded on to the next interval with the Zwift Volcano climb for effort distraction. Felt it was at the right level so finished remaining two at same setting, another volcano loop and another volcano climb.

Rest day tomorrow :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Hawk’s Bill might be a fun and different type of VO2— I did it this morning and I think it is VO2 ish but different. I don’t actually know how to classify it. I have never seen this type of workout until last week when I did Bear. I enjoyed Hawk’s Bill way more than Bear. Not sure why.

19 Likes

Pettit was in my diary so I put on a TR podcast to get by. Listened to a guy Everesting now when I’ve stopped sweating I am listening to a guy talking about sweating.

17 Likes

Where are the hard starts? :wink:

2 Likes

Currently in build and had some scheduling conflicts so did Givens last night (3 min vo2s) followed by Deerhorn this afternoon.

Givens:

Deerhorn:

17 Likes

Today felt much better. Seeing McAdie+1 on the calendar in 2 days time reminded me to enjoy the easy ones.

PS. I hate it when I forget my sweat rag! Had to run upstairs after that first interval.

17 Likes

Carson for me, plus a bit of added endurance. I think this is my single favourite workout in TrainerRoad. When I’m taking some time away from structure, but am still doing a bit for exercise, always one of my “go to” workouts. Carson for a bit of a workout, Baxter for a bit of noodling…

17 Likes

IMG_0231.PNG

Double session this morning. Nice and steady Baxter -1, followed by Joe Devel -5 for giggles.

Listened to the new-ish Geraint Thomas Podcast during Baxter. Could be the only other Podcast I listen to, other than TR :wink:

20 Likes

Thanks @JMT, I’ll take a look at those :+1:. Definitely quite different from what I’ve been doing previously. For the moment I’m shifting all my VO2 workouts up by 2 weeks to skip further ahead. We’ll see how I get on :grin:.

2 Likes

Had to knock off 10% to make this a sweet spot rather than threshold session :hot_face:

16 Likes

Taylor -2

I was pretty happy with that. To be honest I was not looking forward to 42 x 120% FTP repeats first thing this morning and being the first V02 workout in the SSBMV 2 plan I was psyching myself out a little but in the end the workout just seemed to come and go without any major difficulties. Again I chucked on another 30 mins Z2 at the end because I had the time.

By all accounts I will be back here in a week or so crying after doing Bluebells, Mills and then Spencer :smiley:

15 Likes

Yesterday was supposed to be the usual Pettit +1, which I rarely stick to. I waited until the kids were in bed, was feeling “lazy” and used the Kickr instead of the rollers. Loaded a route on Rouvy (for mileage credit!) and watched Back to the Future. Warmed up for 10min, then set the Kickr to 240 and just left it there. Went by pretty quick with a movie, have to do that more often.

Fang Mountain +1 is scheduled for today, that doesn’t look too bad though, looks easier than Carpathian Peak +1 from last week.

14 Likes

I have a feeling we all go through that at some point, I know I do. That feeling beforehand of being invincible, and then the “what have I done, just kill me now” feeling during and after the first set :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m sure I’ll do it again in a couple of months, I refuse to learn :sweat_smile:.

4 Likes

3rd VO2 of the week. Did this on mobile in ERG again as I’m struggling to get my work laptop’s BT and TR to play nicely together. Sadly this meant no hard starts again, although I did turn up the intensity on the first interval to ramp things up a little early.

Was pleased to do this one, as it’s one that I had unfinished business with from the summer (I only managed 5.5/8 intervals back in June and my FTP was set 25w lower back then). That’s most of the week’s hard work done and dusted. This workout is under-rated IMO - one of the hardest in the catalogue at around 0.99IF for over 60 mins.

17 Likes

Great effort there!
That’s one I’ll subconsciously remember to avoid😉

5 Likes

40 minute free ride effort.

12 Likes

Recovery period, day 4, session 3 was Brasstown…I feel like I eat so much more than I should during recovery periods but it never stops me from not :joy:

12 Likes

Striped +6 again, 3rd week in a row.

Like the previous times, backpedaled the recovery valleys. This time I bumped up intensity by 3%. This is one of those workouts where the desire to quit comes the moments right before each interval, but once the interval begins, it’s easy to push through 20 seconds of work.

Will probably take a rest week and continue for another 3 weeks, then switch to something else.

19 Likes