What workout did you do today? (2021, part 1)

State, outside:

AT was very disappointed in me for this but I hit all the targets so I don’t know why it’s so fussy. Coop - Hitec was doing hill repeats at the same time so I got passed by a bunch of pros! Multiple times! Like I was standing still!

13 Likes

Inspiration

This was a new one for me. I’m nearly fully mended, HR was close to normal and hand and shoulder about 90%. Even managed an easy swim yesterday - first in months.

I’d usually skip the VO2 sets when I’ve both that and threshold in the week, but this looked pretty easy and I’m playing a bit of catch-up - so went ahead with it. Felt pretty good. I’ve Fang Mountain tomorrow, then going to see how the body handles the road on Friday with an easy recovery spin :crossed_fingers:.

9 Likes

Feeling kinda guilty because I was supposed to do Warlow +2, but I just didn’t want to do it. I knew TrainNow would recommend another equally unappealing workout, so I went lone wolf and picked something that looked easy and that I have never done.

I just like tempo so much more than threshold. This was a fun workout and I think I had heart rate decoupling right at the end. So it wasn’t like I didn’t work at all, I hope.

11 Likes

Going to call it what it is, Vo💩 Max

11 Likes

Townsend-1 was in my calendar tonight and it’s still good weather so I took it outside again for some TT handling practice. I feel quite confident in handling now. I just have to get more consistent power out put. Sometimes I’m really strong and other times I drop down to many gears with the aim of keeping me spinning. I probably should pace on power more than feel but in my current position the Garmin is too close to my face and the numbers a bit of a blur.

Screenshot_20210609-232222_Chrome

10 Likes

Somehow, this feels really easy outside. Go figure. Mind you, the intervals are a lot less steady - you do some at 150%, some at 110%, depending on slope, that bus you can overtake, that bus you couldn’t overtake-

Edit - not « really easy », but quite feasible.

Fang Mountain

Didn’t bother grab any fuel for this and started regretting it towards the end of the third set. Plowed ahead anyway, but famished by time I was done.

I’d a VO2 run this morning so delighted to get through both of them. Seems kind of madness that those workouts are back to back on the high volume half distance plan. Add in the tempo run and the VO2 bike and you’ve a pretty busy first half to the week.

HR still a bit high for me but definitely coming down. Feeling much better, back out on the road tomorrow.

11 Likes

Santa Rita - one of those over-VO2 variable level, variable duration jobs. Outside. Not easy, but a lot of fun, and perfect for an outdoor workout.

8 Likes

Keith, what a great threshold over/under bruiser. HR was not so high. Legs were sore from this threshold block so I helped myself to some backspins.

Truth be told I am at 5.8 in the threshold progression , not 6.4, but it’s the end of the block so I decided to aim for 50min TiZ. I came close. I’ll take it. Hopefully I’ll recover before racing Saturday, then rest and test.

Did I say that I really like these TrainNow/Progressions?

11 Likes

Starlight-2 Threshold 4.0
Harder than I envisaged, knees and back still aching, left calf cramped up just after 75minutes, triggered it when I sat up…managed to keep going after yelling out, kept heel low in the pedal to stretch it out.

Slow decreasing in cadence, felt like a slow spiral of death starting towards end, thankfully I was finished before that.

11 Likes

Wasn’t sure how this was going to go. Warm-up was feeling a bit rough. However, once the intervals got going everything seemed okay. The trainer takes a bit to kick in, every 20sec sprint averaged about 20w below target. Final 2 intervals I added +6% A) to bring up the average and B) because it felt doable. The basement was 70 but it felt warmer and more humid so I guess this is also heat adaptation? /bonus ?

9 Likes

Still in between plans and doing a test week to see how best to incorporate my hard weekly group rides into the mix over the summer. Looking like a more polarized model is favourable.

Nonetheless, I jumped into some threshold work in the form on Stromlo +4 on Thursday to assess if the indicative FTP increase from my last ride was valid - happy to say it seems to be so will probably make a manual nudge and follow up with a ramp test next week.

Into some z2 this morning with Tomyhoi again ahead of the outside riding this weekend.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Markleeville:

I did not struggle but wow was it hot inside today. Not outside, just inside. Window open, fans on, nothing but hot air blowing at me.

11 Likes

Felt good about completing this after 6 weeks of hard work. Going to the beach tomorrow.

11 Likes

Icefall

Good session this morning! Sweetspot over-under intervals are some of my favorite workouts.
Today marks just over a year since I started cycling. FTP went from 182 → 310 (4.1w/kg) today :slightly_smiling_face:
Excited for more training to come and wishing you all the best!
-Alex

12 Likes

My warmup was so rough that I thought there was no way I could get this done, but I focused on one interval at a time and tadaaa:

13 Likes

Congratulations!!! That’s fantastic!

2 Likes

Thank you! This community is beyond helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Junction -1

Pretty brutal!

Two days after my covid-vaccination. Had to nudge the final set of microbursts down with 5%. But still delighted, given the fact that I was an overweight couch potato up until six months ago.

Can someone call the undertaker please?

13 Likes