What workout did you do today? (2021, part 1)

6x3 VO2 (Spencer +2)…my legs are grumpy.

10 Likes

Rest & Recover last week. Going completely off ‘Plan’ for a couple more weeks, before I knuckle back down again.

This was a pleasant welcome back :+1:

12 Likes

It’s so nice to get outdoors and train. Pretty solid endurance ride for me today coming off a hard VO2 session yesterday. I was fully expecting to feel like shit, but I felt amazing. Like too good given yesterday’s ride.

Coincidentally, after yesterday’s ride I took 2x 500mg turmeric pills, 3x tart cherry pills, my usual vitamin D and B, and then ate 3 small homemade sourdough pizzas for dinner last night. Maybe that was a great recovery protocol?

2 hours @ 255 NP with an average heart rate right at my LT/VT1 is definitely a PR. It’s not glamorous like some big Sweet Spot session or mega-long ride, but there’s something sexy about being able to stay on the gas like this for a couple of hours. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Bluebell

These VO2 max intervals are only 1 minute long, I know Spencer isn’t too far away :grimacing:

12 Likes

Failed Wynne +1 today

Not sure what happened. In the past I’ve always felt like I can handle these kind of workouts but by the time the second set was over I was struggling hard to keep the pedals turning and my cadence just kept creeping down until I hit 70 rpm and I felt like there was just no power left in my legs. Was thinking maybe I could handle the last set if I just powered through the rest period but I wasn’t feeling great and the nausea was creeping in and I decided to just cut my losses and stop.

6 Likes

Rest day yesterday and had the planned mid way point Ramp Test in SusPB in the calendar, but with some recent changes to my plan etc I didn’t feel like the timing was right so decided to swap out for some sweet spot in the form of McGregor +1, a TrainNow suggestion and a new workout for me.

Will probably just retest at the end of the second SusPB block now.

11 Likes

I’ve had hard outdoors rides 3 days in a row and Baird +6 was in my calendar tonight. So I meant to put TR in resistance mode. As my cadence started to spiral up though I realised I hadn’t and it was ERG. The new power match though is much more forgiving thankfully and I pressed on and it let’s my cadence fall slightly and recover it without falling into the spiral of death :+1:

10 Likes

Signed back up last week amd took the ramp Test at the weekend. A little bit disappointed with results ftp has dropped a little bit but was expecting it due to not been to structured with the rides since doing a few more outside rides lately. This was reason for signing back up to trainerroad so that I can undertake a dedicated plan with the option of substituting the odd ride for a longer outdoor endurance ride when the weather allows.
Having spent the last few months riding in lower zones I decided on doing the mid volume general build.
Swapped the first workout for the more intense threshold ride carpathian peak because I’d done the ftp test earlier in the week.
Enjoyed the first workout in this build phase but it left me with no illusions that this is going to be easy in any way but I’m looking forward to the challenge and the fitness gains over the 8 week build phase.

10 Likes

Did a double today. Still trying to tweak my Polarized Plan to match my targets and importantly, age… More and more I see the importance of recovery so now going for longer sessions but more days off the bike for recovery.

3 hours is the longest so far but still no chance to do one continuous 3 hr ride. Also maybe next time I will do the endurance first and then the VO2 second… which might be a bit too scary…

Have a nice workout everyone!

10 Likes

Beech was in my calendar tonight but I fancied something different so I loaded up Train Now which suggested Coliseum -4.

9 Likes

Berryessa

After months of VO2 and long intervals I’m really enjoying these sprints. The change is refreshing. Boosted the main set up to 110% and the last sprint to 115%. Felt great to fire them off.

10 Likes

Striped +1 and Kern +1 this week. Felt terrible for both. Not sure if I’m just carrying a lot of fatigue, but both of these workouts, part of the Rolling Road Race Specialty plan, felt way harder than any of the Build workouts I did. Really struggled, had to go down to 95% on Striped +1 and 97% on the last set of Kern +1.

11 Likes

Brutal, trainer refused to cooperate, had push the intensity up to hit the numbers. Calibrated the PM at the start, changed from ble to ant+ on the trainer mid ride and calibrated as well. Better but still a little dodgy. Managed, but the last block barely :hot_face::muscle:

9 Likes

Sharpening up for Saturday, hit a new Max HR, that was unexpected.

After two sets of standing ramps, I disregarded d workout instructions to stand, dropped 1% and nailed it. Race start ready

9 Likes

O/Us this morning.

Had all sorts of issues getting my trainer, power meter and the App to talk to each other. Even ended up with duplicate workouts on the calendar, this is a new one for me.

Think I need to contact Support.

9 Likes

You guessed it - Townsend yesterday - the usual drill.

Up this morning though was Stromlo +3 - the warmup caught me by surprise and my legs felt really heavy in the first interval - some negative thoughts started to creep in but I managed to kick them to touch by the second interval and focus on getting the work done.

I have been getting up 30mins earlier this week to accommodate work commitments and perhaps the slight decrease in my sleep meant I was not as fresh as I expected.

9 Likes

Did Apple Orchard + 2 last night for a quick dose of VO2 because I’m apparently lacking in the anaerobic area. This was the first indoor workout in a while because the rollers went back to the manufacturer to be replaced. Fun times with that: bought Elite Nero rollers from a German firm but to get the rollers to them, who would pass the device to their distributor who would then send it own to the manufacturer in Italy, meant time and trouble and possible fees beyond the shipping when it crossed the Swiss border — I live in Switzerland — both to get to them into Germany and back from Germany. They found the Swiss office of the distributor who agreed to handle the return, but with a catch: I’d have to drop off the rollers at their office. That was fine as it was only a 40min drive away. Supply chain problems meant it took six weeks from drop off to delivery at my door, which was the day after the Swiss distributor received it from Italy. All is good again, except the workout was interrupted by Siri, who I had a distracting fight with and, of course, lost. At one point, my music stopped, so I told Siri to play, followed by a pause, and then followed by an eff you, which Siri took not as aggression but as a request to play some song with that title, which happened to not be in any of my playlists, let alone my workout playlist. In the end, I completed a workout that I thought I’d end after the second interval.

9 Likes

Jepson
The warmup for Carpathian Peak +2 tomorrow :grimacing:

11 Likes

5x5 VO2s…SOOOOO much less excruciating when ridden outdoors.

8 Likes

Got some short threshold workout outside yesterday after vaccine. RPE of the workout was low, and I cut it short because of rain. Today I’m absolutely destroyed.

6 Likes