What workout did you do today? (2020, part 1)

Any difference in your cadence over the course of each interval? Would expect higher HR with higher cadence. If you went out faster and slowed up over the course of each interval you might see your HR drop.

2 Likes

Good stuffā€¦you wait until you have versions of Wright Peak on your calendar! :laughing:

Good point I think I was about 105 rpm on the initial intervals. Then went down to about 90 so I guess that explains it

4 Likes

At this point, I have no idea what any of these workouts are, so Iā€™m going into them blind and ignorant :rofl: I like the naming of the workoutsā€¦very crossfit-like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all, some weeks not showing up here;
Iā€™m in the last week of Sustained Power Build phase, mid volume.

Today was hard VO2Max : 9x 3min @120% but it felt more bearable than last week VO2max 6x 3min @122%.
Anyway, glad to have this one done !

Next thursday should be hard too: Stromlo +4 is 6x8-minute intervals at 102% FTP ā€¦ Miam

12 Likes

The Ramp Test.

Didnā€™t go as well as Iā€™d hoped, felt lethargic and actually dropped by 3% but the last test I did was the only one where I felt I got it right and usually Iā€™ve ended up manually raising my FTP by about 3% so Iā€™m going to keep the old value for now. Again Iā€™m struggling to breathe/shift lactic acid and thatā€™s the limiter, thereā€™s another minute or so in my legs.

Onto Climbing Road Race Speciality plan

5 Likes

A new block of work begins for me today, based on SSB 1 HV.
Today was Antelope +2, and at 94%, I was expecting to suffer badly - but amazingly I found it fine! Whatā€™s chenged? I donā€™t know - maybe a rest week? Bit more confidence after the FTP test?

My aerobic decoupling (essentially hear rate drift) is 2.1%, which is nice and low. I might actually be getting fitter!

10 Likes

Yeah I find I do the same myself. The leg-speed gets me through the first few, and just grind out the rest. :sweat_smile:

Caffeine wearing off?!

Youā€™re a week in front of me on the same programme. I find the Thursday workouts the most brutal. Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah I feel like thereā€™s a benefit in lower cadence as well because who goes up hills doing 105RPM?

1 Like

FTP ramp test for me today. Up to 201 from 171 after 6 weeks of SSB low volume 1. Got my HR up to 193 bpm which is about the max (highest Iā€™ve ever seen it is 194 bpm) so I think I gave it my all.

I spent the previous six months focusing on powerlifting and got my DL up to 350lbs so I was not in an endurance physiology at all when I started. Iā€™m anticipating another 20 or 30 watt gain after SSB mid volume 2 with all that ā€œfunā€ VO2 work.

Also trying to cut my powerlifting build weight. Got up to 210lbs over that 6 months and now back down to 190. Aiming to be around 175lbs by the end of the year. Trying to balance that knife edge of body recomp while also building FTP.

9 Likes

I just said lets SUFFER. I set the trainer at 90% ftp and said lets do that for an hour. What a blast.

2 Likes

Well I have no idea where Wright Peak isā€¦I assume it is some kind of hill but it means 30min intervals @90% FTP - although if you do any of the minus versions you do get a short minute recovery every 10mins. Even so Wright Peak and even the -1 version are a real grind - 3x30mins in a 2 hour sessionā€¦you needs some really good music - it isnā€™t really a session you can watch TV through! :grimacing:

3 Likes

No cycling today
But
A Run this morning (rTSS =54)
The a swim this evening (sTSS = 32)

3 Likes

Baxter+2 last night for am ā€œeasyā€ day. First run at a 2 hour TR session, really wasnā€™t too bad other than being pretty fatigued. Was a good chance to get through a whole movie without calling asleep on the couch!

8 Likes

Berryessa - great fun, love winding up for the sprints. Livens up the base training :grinning:

10 Likes

IĀ“m kinda stoked did an FTP Test and got a +15% bump after the two previous bumps of 2% & 3% respectively during 37 Days of Quarantine with only TR no outside workouts. I knew something was up when Coach @chad s workout notes said " Welcome to Dade +1 one of the toughest workouts we have" and I essentially blew thru it. :thinking: :grin:

The data: Qurantine period: 34.5hrs of TR; of which 12hrs were HIIT/ 8 workouts. Day 1 of Quarantine 255FTP; Day 36 of Quarantine 262. FTP post Test 301 4.05w/kg; Followed biomarker HRV(Heart Rate Variability) 100% If it said I was Green HIIT if it was the workout of the day if not I adjusted accordingly. Used Elite HRV App

I feel good for a couple reasons:
1. I was training for my A race MTB Ultra Marathon Stage race scheduled for 26 April postponed 6 months so I feel like my training had me peaked for the race. Minus my technical descents at speed weakness(my kryptonite) I was ready.NOTE I had been on a 27+ week training program that included a mix of TR and outdoor rides.
2. I am excited asI am 3 months shy of 60years old. I thought IĀ“d never crack 300. Man I wish I was back in my heyday :joy:

16 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s amazing. Chapeau, Junio!

2 Likes

Thanks!!