What type of sunglasses are you guys wearing?

As with most things, I’m sure that most people who say they ride in clear safety glasses don’t have experience with more ‘premium’ glasses. You can definitely argue whether they are really worth $175 or whatever but I think it’s either ignorant or disingenuous to say that the Oakleys are just as good.

Roka states: “ Critical performance coatings include front and back-side hydroleophobic coatings to keep moisture of any kind from sticking on the lens; front and back-side anti-scratch protection; a multi-layer anti-reflective back-side coating; an anti-fog ri-pel coating on the back of the lens; and a multi-layer mirror coating or polarization film. ”

Thanks. Very cool. I had never heard of them before and it turns out they’re local to me!

1 Like

I was that person :joy: The only issue has been dealing with my wife’s smug look when i admitted I was wrong…

1 Like

I bought those same lenses and though I was already sold on the benefits of Oakleys in general I was pretty shocked at how big of a difference the Prizm Trail lenses made on low light conditions and how well it helps to see roots and other trail features. It really defines all of those brown objects instead of just dimming everything like my black lenses did.

As with everything in cycling, and life in general, everything is worth what people are willing to pay…

:man_shrugging:

I dont really love Oakleys.
But it was what my wife knew when she bough a pair as a xmas gift years ago…

marketing at its finest

1 Like

I know lots of companies do it. It’s still annoying. I got another one today. And honestly, it’s not the whole, “you forgot something in your cart” bit. It’s the “it’s YOUR fault” guilt trip part. And the fact this is the second email. I have no problem with a company following up. This is not following up. Trying to make me feel ashamed for not buying their product. Nope.

Subject line was: We hope you’re happy. You should be ashamed!

1 Like

Been riding with Oakley Radar EV w Prizm Road lenses for a long time. Recently discovered :sweden: Bliz Matrix glasses and have been more than happy with them. High quality lenses and design.

So for Roka the matadors are the best or what other ones in that line?

They all use the same materials and coatings for the lenses so it’s really a matter of style and shape and fit. Their custom program is nice too you can really get creative. There’s probably not a “best” just whatever you like the look and fit of. Nice return policy if you don’t like them

2 Likes

I’m skeptical when I hear stories about Fauxley lenses “shattering” during crashes. Even the $15 knock-offs lenses are polycarbonate. On the other hand, I have no doubt that if you fall on your face at 25 mph the Fauxley frames are more likely to break in unpredictable ways.

Bad news for anyone eyeing up Matadors, at least on the US site the price went from 195 to 225 today

Glad I ordered before

To account for the $30 strava coupon probably.

2 Likes

They always have those. I actually used an old one STRAVA-SPRING

I was mostly kidding as my day job is pricing, forecasting, etc. should have put this :wink:

Not too thrilled with the Roka experience so far. Glasses came in, initial impressions were excellent. Then I found what looks like an etched chemical burn or something on the lens. Not sure if this was there out of the box or happened while I was trying them on at home and storing them in their little microfiber pouch. Shot an email to service but not sure if I want to bother with an exchange if this is an indication of what’s to come, god forbid I actually wear them for a ride and you know, sweat on them or something

Also where the lower frame snaps into the lens there’s a gap because the tolerances are seemingly poor. I’m not really happy with either issue for a pair of now $225 shades.

They ARE comfortable and the optics are very clear. Maybe I got a dud

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but have you tried cleaning that part with a dry cloth? I have a pair of Roka with those same lenses and they show every bit of grime like that. I freaked out at first thinking they were damaged, but with the microfiber cloth that came with, it cleans off. That said, they do get dirty fast and look like that with every bit of oil/sweat/etc.

1 Like

I’ve tried the cloth, I’ve tried the cloth with water, inside and out. I’m afraid to use any cleaning stuff on them because then they will tell me I used the wrong thing to clean them

2 Likes

I use Oakley Radar

Had my first ride in them on Friday, 5 hours enduro MTB ride. They were comfortable to the point that you forget you’re wearing them, didn’t budge even on super gnarly, chundery trails and the low-light lens that I opted for (the one that comes “free” with every pair) was absolutely brilliant in both low light in dense woods, to the transition in and out of said woods and even good in the sun which we finished the ride to. :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like