What Midwest Area Events you are excited in 2022?

Has anyone ever ridden The Divide? It’s a race out of Manton, MI at the end of July and it’s part of the MGRS. I’m thinking of doing it this year because I’ll be in the area-ish on vacation.

Not sure what the course is like and what a good tire choice would be …

https://hardracingevents.com/events/the-divide/

I also “considered doing” it :rofl:! BR was good enough for me too this year. I may “Consider doing” c2c next year too!

2 Likes

Mohican :100: this weekend anyone? I switched to the 100k because I think I’m getting tired of being on the bike for 10+ hours. Looking forward to a challenging race at a higher intensity that doesn’t take the entire day.

That weather forecast though :hot_face:

4 Likes

Looks hot, good luck

2 Likes

I’m racing it and did the same switch lol. I’m driving up the morning of so already in for a long day

4 Likes

I rode the long version of the Divide back in 2018 or 2019. I really liked it. Solid gravel race. There was some sand. I ran 42mm tires, which were probably a little overkill. I ride 35mm tires in every other gravel race in Michigan. I’d probably run 38’s or maybe 40’s.

Sweet! Thanks for the input … I’m always surprised at how global this message board is, but how local it can behave :+1:

I am planning on running the Schwalbe G-One R 700x40 tires, so it sounds like I’m right in the sweet spot.

FWIW, I ride 35s for every gravel race in Michigan as well … but the reputation for sand in that area of the Manistee national forest had me concerned.

Much appreciated :metal:

2 Likes

I’m Doing 42 pathfinder pros for coast to
Coast or will a 38 GK smooth be better

2 Likes

Really starting to look likely that I’m going to give the 70 mile version of the Ten Thousand a go next weekend ….

2 Likes

How’d it go? A friend of mine DNF’d after a valiant effort. I was hoping to race this year but pulled the plug a few months ago for family reasons. Definitely hope to in the future.

1 Like

It went ok, 7:19 for the 100k, which was 62nd place out of 252 racers. I suffered from some bad cramps a few different times and had to nurse that. Also had a decent crash and injured my palm which made it difficult to hold onto the bars. The weather was hot and humid and it was surprisingly muddy. However, it went much better than the Cohutta 100 last month.

4 Likes

Nice! It was definitely slick out there, I about ate it dropping into the first bit of single track!

I ended up with an unexpectedly good result, 5th overall 100k / 3rd open 100k :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Nice work, super impressive! That was a tough course. I couldn’t believe how muddy it was.

2 Likes

Has anyone done or going to do Lutsen? I’m trying to get an idea of the type of terrain we’re going to be riding. I see the map says snowmobile trail, double track and gravel but that can mean a lot of things. How technical would you say it is? Does it run pretty fast with good weather or are the snowmobile trails miles of deep sand like we have in Northern WI?

I have not personally done it, but several riding buddies have. It doesn’t sound too terribly technical and my understanding is that some people will do it on gravel bikes (but probably not at the pointy end).

Sounds like there is a fair amount of pacelining / fast group riding among the lead riders.

I am doing the 49er for the first time this year. Guys I ride with have who have done it in the past said it is basically a gravel or road race with a little bit of single track. My understanding is that it runs fast as there is quite a bit of group riding. I just picked up MTB last year and was told not to worry too much as its not super technical.

1 Like

Spent a couple years riding with the guy who puts it on. Great guy who is passionate about cycling. It sells out quickly, but I highly recommend it.

1 Like

shhhhhhh, BT is a secret :wink:

1 Like

Registration is just recently up for the Little Apple gravel race just south of Chicago.

Is anyone doing either of the GFNY events in the Midwest? Ann Arbor and/or Rockford?