What is this sensation during Ramp test?

In the final moments of a ramp test just before I pop, I suddenly feel pins and needles across my legs. Its very sudden and very sharp and very uncomfortable. Once this happens, I have about 1 to 3 seconds before I quit.

Does anyone know what this sensation? Is it lack of oxygen at the muscles? Is it carbon dioxide build up? Is it death approaching? Probably death approaching.

Thanks in advance!
-glueslug

4 Likes

It’s definitely death. Good job you stopped

17 Likes

I get this in my arms and chest. I think it is oxygen deprivation? Feels a bit scary, but its useful as a signal that I’m at my limit.

1 Like

Maybe it is hypocapnia due to hyperventilation?

2 Likes

Obviously, I don’t go hard enough during my ramp tests then…

2 Likes

It feels so scary! I wonder if from a muscle perspective I have more in the tank but once I feel this sensation some sort of survival switch is flipped and I am shutting down. If I were an old school Windows operating system it would be akin to a kernel panic followed by blue screen.

1 Like

Once, while going for a KOM on a short climb, I got this feeling so badly that my vision blurred and I felt dull headed for 30 minutes afterword. Had to ride straight home after, and I stopped trying for KOMs after that.

2 Likes

Never in my legs but my I get a loss of feeling and the painful tingles in my hands and fingers. Not excruciating pain but certainly painful. I can hold out for another 1-2 minutes most of the time from the first sensation until I am done and it progressively gets worse as I continue to dig in. Happens on ramp test but has also happened on other rides where I am on my limit. I think I am just getting used to it happening once or twice a month.

1 Like