What is the real problem with TR / Wahoo? [Adaptive Training]

You couldn’t use TN, schedule the workout, push to wahoo bolt and execute it?

Ouch, is that right? Every impression I’ve gotten from the AT-threads is “it’s in progress, and we know it’s important”. I haven’t listened to last weeks podcast yet, so maybe it came up there.

What do you mean? To do ANY workout outdoors, you need to schedule it on the calendar and push it to the head unit.

You can’t “use TrainNow” with your Garmin either by this logic.

1 Like

What Nate specifically said was, AT is working fine and offering benefits for people doing indoor workouts and they want to get that released ASAP.

He also said they are working on a fix to look at any power trace from any source (which is orders of magnitude more powerful IMO), but that the timescale for this was a little uncertain (he said between a week and a year in a post on here…). Apparently they have something in testing.

I would have thought they could get part way there by assessing them like custom workouts, but the assessment of custom workouts is pretty inconsistent anyway.

???

Works here. I just scheduled the TrainNow workout as outdoor. That will sync to your head unit.

My bad as I‘m not a native speaker….
What I meant was: „but I can use TN with my bolt, can’t I. So where’s the problem?“

3 Likes

TrainNow = Officially released product accessible to everyone.

1. Works for assigning outside workouts.
  2. Looks at outside workouts for general “stress” consideration with respect to the Recommended workouts.
  3. Essentially, TN is open for business to anyone and is fully functional AFAIK.

Adaptive Training = Beta product with restricted access as issued by TR, from a pool of applicants.

1. Only considers some Garmin outside workouts (some are ignored via the path they come to TR AFAIK).
  2. Ignores some Garmin and all Wahoo workouts from PL changes and related plan adaptations.
  3. Essentially, AT is beta which means it is incomplete (lacking some features) and inconsistent (bugs), hence the reason it is still in beta.
  4. Sounds like the next step is a release similar to the “experimental” POL plans, where people choose to “opt in” to the early access of a AT that is still in progress and not considered complete (might or might not be free from bugs?). We can hope that the functions and limitations are made clear at the time, so people know what to expect and what is not there yet.

So, the two are in very different phases and states, and not necessarily connected as it seem some are thinking. It’s important not to blend them and make expectations for one based on the other.

1 Like

There are no performance levels associated with a Wahoo device. My PLs are permanently stuck at 3-ish because I don’t ride indoors in summer. I cannot affect them in any way as it currently stands, making trainnow effectively unusable.

I answered these questions previously in the thread you can go read my responses if you have further concerns.

1 Like

But PL are in beta! So it is not a released feature that doesn’t work …
Or let me phrase it differently: If you are not in the beta (like me) you only profit from TN

TN recommendations are based on PLs. So if your workouts do not contribute to PL, TN suggestions will be off (likely too easy)

1 Like

Exactly. It is perpetually stuck with complete softball workouts no matter what you do outside, which essentially renders it useless/pointless unless you ride indoors or use a Garmin.

This is because it depends on the progression levels used in AT - which still do not work for Wahoo users, so you just have a static set of super easy workouts.

1 Like

Meaning if I‘m not in the beta I just get random workouts from TrainNow anyway? Or do I actually have PLs and just don’t see them?

Yes as far as I understand you have PLs but cannot see them.

3 Likes

Correct, PL’s exist for all, but visibility is currently limited to the beta participants.

And as noted, the PL’s are not “complete” for anyone unless you are getting the non-TR rides/workouts via the functional Garmin channel. Which means the recommendations are probably low for those people.

TN still looks at all the workouts (regardless of source) to estimate a stress load, and pick workouts for recommendations based upon that. But the PL related could be on the low side.

2 Likes

So is Adaptive Training now working on Wahoo devices or not?

When you do an outdoor ride you can link it to the workout and get PL updates. But it’s (for now) always marked as an successful workout. So you’ll have to be honest with yourself. If you didn’t complete it, i would suggest nog linking it to a workout. If you do you might get a PL boost, while you might actually need a PL decrease.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem so. Did Geiger (4.5 sweet spot) outdoor yesterday as part of my LV base one. I rated the effort as moderate, but it’s left my sweet spot PL at 2.7.

Hey Tom, this doesn’t sound right. Please reach out to support@trainerroad.com so they can make sure things are working correctly on your end (and verify there isn’t an issue that needs to be fixed for other athletes, too!)

1 Like

Thanks for the help Sean. I was sent the following link which solved the problem. PL updated immediately. Be sure you have the outdoor ride on the same day as the planned workout, “match” the ride and then it all works out fine.

2 Likes

Apologies for the thread necro, but I’ve lost the plot a bit on Wahoo head units and TR Outside Workouts with Adaptive Training. Is any of this working as intended now, or should I keep running outside workouts off my (Garmin) watch?