What do you do for entertainment while on the trainer?

It goes downhill fast after season 1

Peacock

It depends on the workout. If it’s a Z2 workout than Netflix or some other show that I can concentrate on. If it’s more intense than YouTube videos of cycling. Search for cycling motivation in the youtube search bar and lots of videos come back with race footage edited with up tempo music

Jose Cycling is my favorite YouTube channel for this

Always this.

7emptest is my 19 minute song… Though any of their songs could be my 19 minute song.

3 Likes

Hey there! I usually listen to audio books or watch Netflix series, and wanted to ask the community of like-minded people about recommendations. Any?

1 Like

I live in a private house and have a tv outside. If I train there, I just turn on the local channels to watch the news. I even had to look for a way to do it on firestick here. But I’ve recently read that it is better to listen to natural sounds when doing yoga, I guess I’ll give it a try.

I haven’t tried audiobooks, interesting idea. As for the Netflix series, I’m currently watching The Umbrella Academy 3rd season. Love it.

I watch the next intensity interval approaching on the screen as time speeds up during the recovery interval and slows down during the intensity

5 Likes

Is there a specific thing you’re looking for? Some shows you’ve watched and enjoyed? That will help us narrow it down

Can anyone recommend YouTube channels that put out constant race footage (road/crit/gravel/etc.)? For threshold and VO2 workouts, race footage is really motivating. The big one for me is NorCal Cycling, but open to others.

Also any other channels that have pro cycling replays or highlights is a big plus for me. NBC Sports publishes good recaps on the bigger tours.

Lastly, “cycling films” along the lines of Rapha Thereabouts, Vegan Cyclist Impossible Route, etc. really work for me too.

You are my sensai!

For Zone 2 rides, I listen to podcasts, (usually cycling), and run the TR workout on Zwift. For anything Zone 3 or above, I watch cyclocross races on GCN Racing+ and listen to Techno or Rave. I also like progressive house, especially the supergroup; SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA! The CX races offer me inspiration, (CX and Gravel are my jam). It also helps to watch and share in the suffering of pro cyclocross racers. I am 70 yrs. old, so my musical preferences make me an outlier of sorts. Great thread!

2 Likes

YouTube. Bike the World videos. Heaps of (non interactive) videos of rides, generally European but some elsewhere, eg: New Zealand. You don’t have to concentrate too much (unlike with movies, audio books etc), but they are a delight to watch and to fantasise while doing so! They vary in length so I just pick one that suits the workout.

I get motion sickness just riding the trainer thanks to mid-40s vertigo. Which is why I only ride on the trainer when I’m on Dad duty and momma’s out. This thread has me wondering though… it’s summer… why are so many in this thread riding indoors?

All the Harry Potter books and then all the books related to formula 1 :slight_smile:

Personally, weekday traffic. I live in the city, so if you can’t ride on the weekend at 7am before people start moving, you’re going to deal with traffic. Also, it’s far easier for me to do structured training indoors where there are no traffic lights or stop signs.

2 Likes

I second this. I ride outside on Saturday’s but otherwise trainer. Living in the city where I do, it takes about a cumulative 5 minutes waiting at various red lights until I get to roads I can ride on continuously. Super annoying when 10 mins of my 60-90 min ride is spent standing still.

On the trainer, I just go for 60mins so I listen to music. If I buy some wireless headphones then maybe I’ll watch tv but until then it’s too noisy with the fans

On weekdays I like the efficiency and focus of doing a workout on the trainer. Weekends are for riding outside though.

For tempo and endurance rides I watch movies and TV shows. Above tempo I watch cycling race videos and listen to music. TrainerRoad has a great playlist on YouTube. The top category crit videos provide good immersion and I find they can give an adreneline boost during intense moments.

1 Like

Usually just music on Zwift, sometimes an audiobook for a bit. When the Tour or Vuelta is on I’ll those sometimes too. I ride with a friend on Zwift frequently, so we often FaceTime and just chit chat for a few hours. I’ve done 4.5hrs with him, and it’s great.