What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

Yes, those are the normal reasons for me too.

I think this is probably a popular opinion among most spectators.

Though I bet AvV disagrees.

Well yeah, I do. Who’s holding that steering wheel? The driver. Who’s that person waiting to cross the road? A pedestrian. Are you saying you’re a cyclist when you’re on your bike but not when you aren’t? OK. So what’s the point?

I see this same weird behavior on music forums. “I play my guitar all the time, but I’m not a guitarist or a guitar player, I’m just a person who plays a guitar”. WHAT?!? It’s like people think there’s a badge or something. I totally don’t get it.

3 Likes

You missed the bit about when they’re not doing that thing. Then there’s no-one holding the steering wheel or crossing the road.

That is the point. That people treat it as if it means something when you’re off the bike. As if you’re some weird subspecies whose identity is entirely bound up in the fact that you happen to ride a bike some of the time.

2 Likes

I’m wearing a t-shirt, but I’m not a t-shirt wearer. Wouldn’t want anyone to think I’m a weird subspecies.

2 Likes

Coupled with flip flops and some shorts and you’re on the path to becoming a dangerous Florida Man

4 Likes

I actually grew up in Florida, so I AM FLORIDA, MAN! :rofl:

5 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Salon Line

7 Likes

Wait. So you call yourself a cyclist when riding, but not off the bike? I find that distinction weirder than just saying you’re not a cyclist.

“Are you a runner?”

“No, not right now.”

“Oh did you get hurt?”

“No, I’m just not running right this moment, so I’m not a runner right now. I’ll be a runner later today though”

8 Likes

Meet The Fockers Nipples GIF - Meet The Fockers Nipples Milk Me GIFs|833x468.5625

9 Likes

You win!

3 Likes

Personally, if I relied on intervals.icu that much I would donate regularly to thank that developer.

2 Likes

I don’t know if one should be identified as a cyclist when one isn’t riding a bike, but I do think many people are contrarians even when they’re not typing comments on a forum.

8 Likes

No I’m not.

13 Likes

I don’t even read forums.

7 Likes

I don’t call myself a cyclist at all. Particularly when I’m cycling, because… I’m too busy cycling. And it would be weird to go around calling out ‘I’m a cyclist’ as I pass people - they can usually see the bike.

By definition, while I am cycling, I am a cyclist, in a trivial sense. But that’s a transient state.

I’m not ‘a cyclist’ in the sense of it being part of my identity, whether I’m cycling or not.

There’s definitely too much contrarianism on this unpopular opinions thread :wink:

5 Likes

The relaxed, inclusive vibes of gravel culture grew out of ultra-endurance mountain biking and monster-cross/mixed terrain adventure rides, just with a new marketing term and shiny new bikes to buy to help grow the bike industry.

I miss long mountain bike races - a lot of them have gone extinct thanks to gravel. Gravel roads are not as fun as trails if you’re just out there to challenge yourself and have fun. If you’re out there to race the pointy end, gravel is just slightly more technical road racing.

6 Likes

Possibly unpopular but maybe not!

The commentary team from GCN and others need to stop calling Mathieu van de Pool Matthew.

It really really annoys me, he isn’t called Matthew. They don’t anglicise any other riders. No one ever changes Pierre Rolland to Peter Rolland.

Such a pointless thing to annoy but it really gets me.

9 Likes