Weight loss accountability buddy or thread discussion

From 200 to approx 175. So, about 25 lbs. I’ve got a bunch of extra fat, so i should be able to do it (or, at least i would have been able to do it at 40!)

1 Like

Lost 20% when in mid 40s, although that was a touch too much.

10% totally doable but not easy.

Should be completely doable if you are able to get into a rhythm and keep it sustainable over the course of several months. One of the small things that helped me keep my fat loss goal was tracking my steps. It was kind of crazy for me to accept this because I thought that I could simply do my training rides, track my deficit and I would keep losing. What I ended up doing was that for my first phase of losing weight that came pretty easy and steady was keeping my steps from about 8-10k day. I hit a bit of a plateau at which point I bumped up my steps to 12k day which kept me from being too sedentary throughout the day while I also made a very modest increase in my deficit.
I would suggest tracking your steps along with other metrics and once you hit a plateau, you add some daily steps in increments. It was a game changer for me.

1 Like

That’s good advice. Plus, my wife likes to hike/walk, so thats a good way to spend some extra time with her

I’m 55 years old…down 15 pounds since the end of July when I started intermittent fasting and stopped drinking alcohol. I was 195 and now I’m 180 but would like to lose 5 more pounds. I lift weights at least 2 times per week, ride 3 days per week, and jog/walk 2 days per week.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what i needed to hear. The hardest part is going to be dropping the beer (which i like/love), but this is great inspiration. Thanks!

Good luck!

It was a mostly mental herdle for me - but I just ended up buying and trying a lot of NA beers. I found that it satisfied my taste craving and reduced calories significantly. Some NA beers are around 20 cals, the Brew Dog ones for example.

The other benefit that may be even more critical was that I never woke up groggy or slightly hung over. I still haven’t touched any alcohol and I’m not sure when I will.

4 Likes

It’s been 3 weeks since hitting my goal weight and ending my deficit. Since then my appetite has increased quite a bit and I’ve some days where I’ve been pretty insatiable. Despite indulging a bit and allowing myself to fill my belly I’ve tried to keep it in check - so a few days around 3,600-4,000 calories with just normal workouts of an hour or so. Despite this my weight has been steady - with a few days of 3 pound increase here or there. Right now my average day baseline is about 2,400-2,500 calories on on my long weekend ride day I’ll eat about 60-75 grams carbs per hour on top of my 2,500-3,200 calories. I’m continue to track and keep my protein at 1.0 gram/lb body weight more or less and fill the rest with carbs then fats. I just want to stay stable at this time going into the holidays - I certainly want to avoid gaining any excess weight save for a couple pounds.
Other than that I continue to see strength gains in the gym and feeling fresh on the bike.

2 Likes

Perfect.

Maintenance is where it always goes wrong for me after 3 - 4 weeks.

Lightest of the year Monday, and with the most fitness.

2 Likes

Roger that - which is why I felt the need to update and keep accountable on this thread. I am surely afraid of regaining any weight which I worked really hard to get off - so I’ll continue to update this thread as I know others may be or have gone through the same thing. So far, 3 weeks in. Good news is that my appetite seems to be normalizing - meaning I can have my meal and be satisfied for a few hours. I did notice I was slipping a little in that I didn’t meal prep for a couple of weeks and that was definitely a key to my success, so I made it a point to meal prep this past weekend to keep me on track.

1 Like

The best thing IMO is to count calories. Sure, you have to clean up your diet and limit alcohol and all that but when you count calories, you get instant daily feedback. It also allows you to have a beer, log it, and see how it affects how much you can eat for the rest of the day. Counting calories makes no one food item a demon.

My only other advice is that if you aren’t going into your next meal hungry then you aren’t restricting enough.

1 Like

I actually came here because I’m going to start a new push at calorie restricting. I usually find it difficult to train and not eat but I can do it for Nov-Dec-Jan and see how close I can get to my goals.

Here’s my question for fellow calorie counters - do you allow yourself to eat calories burned in workouts? I ask because I think this has tripped me up in the past. I’d lose weight but at a snail’s pace.

I mean, if my calorie calculator says I get 2000 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week, and I ride on average 500kj per day, do you allow yourself 2500 calories?

I once did a weight loss / base miles experiment where I ramped up to 13 hours per week. I barely lost 7 pounds in a few months and then gained 3 back like the day after I stopped the diet (I assume glycogen water weight). It certainly is challenging to diet and ride 13 hours per week and not be starving, depressed, hangry, lethargic, etc.

1 Like

I am currently calorie counting and riding a few times a week. I am not adding calories based on exercise but to an extent do listen to my body i.e. if I am feeling like I am lacking then will have a high protein snack. In fairness I am only doing 1 to 1.5 hr efforts so not putting myself into a situation where I would run out of steam that quickly. I do ensure I eat a high protein shake before 1st cycle (commute) of the day. So far 4kgs down in about 3 weeks so on track to be at good goal weight when I ramp up training in the new year.

It is very individual but I would say about 60 - 70% of what the ‘kcal burn’ that is recorded (even according to a power meter)

I have ate 90 - 100% before, and gain weigh. It requires a bit of trial and error imo, (and yes I did account for BMR + TEF etc.) I knew something was up when I lost weight on recovery weeks and gained weight of high load on weeks, the pattern was very clear, hence digging into it.

Generally, I think most over estimate what they burn during exercise.

Pick and number monitor and adjust as needed.

1 Like

Back at it officially I suppose, having some significant motivation issues after a two month break caused by an accident. I think I’m going to have to go back to setting an alarm and riding before work because I am so drained lately after work that I’m almost guaranteed to blow off an evening session.

I had pretty good luck in the past by eating back half of the calories from the bike. With three and four hour weekend rides you can still end up with a solid deficit and it doesn’t seem to cause issues with hunger or performance for me.

1 Like

I do count the calories from exercise into my overall expenditure. But depending on where I am at in a weight loss, phase or what type of training I may be doing, I may eat those calories part of those calories or none of the calories.
You mentioned losing weight at a snails pace, and it makes me wonder how deep your calorie deficit, is and what your macro nutrient breakdown was. Another big thing that comes into play is what type of foods you are eating, nutrient, dense versus calorie dense foods can make a huge difference and keeping you satisfied when in a calorie deficit.
Back to your first question in counting calories that you burned during your workout to get started initially I would not count those calories so if your base calories with a 500 per day deficit is two thousand and you’ve burned 500 during the very easy training session on the bike, I probably would not replace those calories unless I was feeling really hungry. Even then I would probably only replace half of them.
From there you would have to just see how you adapt to your deficit and what your weight loss rate is and give it some time and allow yourself to tweak it along the way. You want to at least have two to three weeks of a solid deficit going before your body starts now lose weight on a consistent basis at least that’s my experience.

This. Stand on the scale everyday. Look at weight trend line. Use that to help adjust. It’s impossible to accurately count calories in and calories out.

The calories burned are actually the amount of kJoules, apparently people are not efficient and 1 J of work requires about 1 calorie of energy. But maybe your body is more efficient

It feels entirely possible to count calories in and then regulate based on the scale.

1 Like