Wade & Caley announce “Escape Collective” membership media

For those watching what happens to the writers who’ve left CyclingTips/Outside+, Wade Wallace and Caley Fretz have announced something new is officially coming:

Edit to add link to key post below, that includes links to subscribe to the Escape Collective.

14 Likes

The job postings describe the old band. Looking forward to what comes next.

3 Likes

13 Likes

As excited as I am about this announcement, I don’t want to see CT Redux….break the mold and create something new.

2 Likes

I’d love to see some of the old school “cycling travel adventure” type stories. There’ve been some great ones over the years in various publications, but the Silk Road one CT did a few years back comes to mind.

8 Likes

Meanwhile, posted over on the dead carcass of Cyclingtips:

Dear CT readers,

In the coming weeks we are migrating the entire CT site over to a new platform within Outside. During this transition you will see some of the functionality and sections change while we complete this process. We are doing our best to make this as seamless as possible and please accept our apologies if there are any changes in your reading experience while we complete this task.

Thank you!

Even when publishing nothing, Wade and Caley have far more to say than Cyclingtips.

6 Likes

When I finally gave up and asked for my money back, I told myself to never go back, so I deleted my links to the forum. I haven’t regretted that decision.

4 Likes

If you look at the job descriptions linked in Wade’s post, it appears they are looking to be a lot more broad than what it was previously. Yes, there is the men’s and women’s racing, and tech, but they are also looking to do bikepacking, mtb, etc. With all that said, there’s still a hole in the market with CT gone. There aren’t many other places I would trust to do unbiased tech reviews, or deep dives into UCI and other bike related topics (I can’t name another journalist doing the thing Iain was doing).

1 Like

Some of those job descriptions sound to me like they already have preferred candidates in mind. “A long form investigative journalist with at least 5 years of experience writing for cycling magazines based out of Australia”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Rupert…cough…cough.

4 Likes

Iain, cough cough

4 Likes

Looks like CT has now nuked their forum entirely…when you type in the URL, it just goes to the homepage.

I guess it isn’t surprising since the membership had been very vocal about Outside’s f*ckups…

Cowards.

4 Likes

“We are doing our best to make this as seamless as possible”. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m open to whatever they’re up to but if they have to charge a subscription, I’d like to know how this is different than before (besides the NFTs and layoffs?) and what guarantee there is that they won’t sell out again? Fool me once, etc… I’ve been enjoying some news sites that never sold out to begin with.

Wade responded to a similar question in the Substack comments ending with:
“The only thing I can promise is that I won’t make the same mistakes again. I will make all new mistakes.”

9 Likes

Such as?

2 Likes

As it turns out, CyclingTips have also deleted links to their forum.

2 Likes

Seems like the final nail in the coffin of a “community”, with their CT site soon to be absorbed by Outside crap. Kind of amazed at how this all played out.

6 Likes

No seams if you just cut the cloth. I seamlessly cancelled my subscription.

Looking forward to the seeing what the new endeavor entails. A CT/Radavist mashup would be cool.

1 Like

Great question. What sites do you all use to stay informed about the cycling community? News, gear, adventure…