VO2 Max Interval Workout Substitutions

Understood. I was talking about a 2min work period.

1 Like

Ah, right on. (misread, sorry)

1 Like

the ideal work/rest durations might be such that the lactate buildup during the work interval is cleared during the rest interval. This would allow you to do a sequence of work/rest intervals in a sustainable pattern.

For me at my current fitness, 3/3 x 5 or 6 (Spencer, Kaiser) is too much. I need to back down on the latter intervals.

I think finding the ideal mix of work/rest/intensity likely requires trial and error, and ongoing adjustment for each athlete.

I seem to be having a harder time with VO2 work now than I did earlier in the year.

Its not so much fatigue and lactic burn in my legs. I can pretty much block that out. But I feel like Iā€™m drowning (as in ā€¦literallyā€¦starved of oxygen) in the latter parts of any interval now.

Not sure if this is a HTFU moment or if I just need to work up to longer vo2 max intervals. In the last week of short power build right now, and iā€™m planning subbing mills+1 for kaiser+2 just to get a ā€˜winā€™ on the board with VO2. Iā€™ve had to bail on the last couple.

Congrats! Youā€™re doing it right! :smile::tada::1st_place_medal:

Iā€™ve read that VO2 intervals are akin to drowning, and apparently Iā€™m not the only one:

Several reasons for what youā€™re experiencing but what you suggest is a good route. VO2 can be a wide range, so find an interval length and intensity which is repeatable and dig in. Once you are ā€œgoodā€ at those, increase duration and embrace the drown! :grimacing::+1:

@anon67840561 this is going to sound absurd but when you start to get that feeling, try holding your breath for half a secondā€¦breath for a few secondsā€¦hold your breath for half a second.

You might just not have enough CO2 in your blood because youā€™re breathing too hard.

Like I said, it sounds absurd. But I can 100% guarantee you this happens to some cyclists and I can 100% guarantee you that if it is happening to you the breathing intervention I mentioned will help.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll give it a whirl.

Though, I have a feeling its a combination of my body not being used to V02 workā€¦and my head just not having really wrapped itself around what it feels like yet. I feel like iā€™m going deeper to finish a 3 min VO2 interval than I do on the last lap of a cross race.

I have done 8x4min @ 112%, where should I go next. Need advice on next set of intervals on vo2 progression

New V02 Max Meta Study

Takeaway.

Ye olde 5x5 is still superb.

Sessions twice per week is probably enough for most humans. More can often be pointless.

Intensity is less important than duration.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350702899_Programming_Interval_Training_to_Optimize_Time-Trial_Performance_A_Systematic_Review_and_Meta-Analysis

3 Likes