VO2 Max Gurus,
I’d like your opinions on the following VO2 Max workouts, all intervals done at 120% of FTP:
- Average HR = 156 / ~84% of max HR
- Average HR = 154 / ~83% of max HR
- Average HR = 153 for 1st set of 7 / ~83% of max HR
- Average HR = 155 for 2nd set of 7 / ~84% of max HR
- Average HR for VO2 Max interval section = 156 / ~84% of max HR
My questions are:
- Given the % of max HR these VO2 max sets are averaging, do these seem like they are generating the benefits that VO2 max intervals are supposed to?
- On the latest podcast, everyone made it seem like completing VO2 max interval sets is close to “soul crushing”. While these workouts were all hard, they only felt like a RPE of 6 or 7.
I’m pretty sure that my FTP is set correctly from doing a sweet spot block + being sick for a week before this VO2 max block. So the 120% of FTP should be correct. In addition, historically I’ve never been a really punchy rider, so I don’t think I have a lot of anaerobic contribution making these “easier”.
Thanks for weighing in