Vitamin B12 shots - should I take them?

Wondering if I should take B12 shots?

Background as follows -

My doctor diagnosed me with border line b12 deficiency, and prescribed b12 injections. Injections as it’s likely an absorption issue.

He was then overruled by the local NHS consultant in charge of these things. The reason being that I’m within the normal range for our local population and other related things are not an issue.

I’ve since looked into this and the limit at which they start to prescribe b12 shots varies massively. In lots (I think most) other countries and some other parts of the UK I would be prescribed b12 shots. The variation between countries seems to depend partly on b12 levels in the local population but also differences of opinion on what is low within that range.

I’m in Scotland and we’re not the healthiest country in the world, so I wonder if b12 deficiency is quite common and they’re using that as a reason to say it’s not a problem.

You could go private in this case but you will be charged more for it.

Maybe wait a bit and get re-tested. NHS is overloaded right now and the rejection is likely due to the prioritizing of essential health services.

1 Like

Appointment was before coronavirus, and yes, I’d need to go private. Won’t be doing anything about it for a while. Just interested in people’s thoughts on whether I should

1 Like

I know that feeling. Have a coupon to do a broad spectrum blood test but that was before all this hit.

Just sitting at home, looking at the gorgeous summer and wishing I was outside.

1 Like

I think the issue is your doctor was overruled. You indicate you are border line. The shots are meant to get your levels back up to a normal range. It sounds like your already there so what is the benefit of the shot?

Eat healthy, watch your diet and just get retested. If it continues to drop then you will get your shots.

The other factor is what are your symptoms. If you didnt provide a description of a problem to which a higher B12 amount could achieve I can see them saying it isnt needed. Just taking more of something doesnt mean your body can use it.

Try Berocca or something?

Have you tried eating more foods w B12? Others can mention veggies; I know red meat has it.

It’s an absorption issue, so needs to be injections.

I had a similar problem when I first started getting B12 injections. Consultant told me I needed them (can’t absorb after surgery) but GP didn’t want to give me them because my levels weren’t critically low. I just kicked off and told him that the consultant was more qualified than him!

Even now I still have the occasional argument if a recent test shows I’m within ‘normal’ levels.

I’ve often wondered if the sublingual tablets would work for me. They are absorbed into the bloodstream by placing them under your tongue, so any issues with non-functioning digestive system are presumably overcome. Might be an option for you.

1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated. I’ll look into the sublingual option.

A lot of times the “normal” range on labs is just calibrated to what everyone else has, to within a few standard deviations. Ie, don’t confuse “normal” with optimal, or even good. As an example, people are getting heavier. That doesn’t mean we should adjust our view of what a healthy weight is to the new average. Anyway, I can’t imagine getting a b12 shot would cost you that much out of pocket to try, but no idea if it would help you or not – you’d have to look into symptoms for deficiency and try to evaluate whether they apply to you.

1 Like

Mate I would look at any underlying health issues first. The obvious one that stands out is a MTHFR mutation. About 70% of people have one and never know.

https://mthfrgenesupport.com/2018/12/importance-of-vitamin-b12-and-mthfr/

1 Like