Vegan endurance ride fuel

I’ve been vegan for quite a while now, was vegetarian before.

Your sources of protein are from a variety of sources. You’ll be surprised that off a vegan diet you get all that you need.

Example:
Breakfast - porridge with cocoa powder, with berries, add peanut butter for extra protein and satiety.
Lunch - spelt rice with kidney beans, or chickpeas, vegetables. Alternatively red lentils cooked with peas, sweetcorn. Add afterwards some fruit, Soya yoghurt, dash of honey.
Dinner: tofu fried, or tempeh, with salad, eat with rice or in a whole grain wrap orw with more veg.
Snack: peanut butter dipped carrots or fruit. More fuller meal would be toast topped with nut butter and banana slices with some cinnamon.

Spices are really key. I tend to use garam masala, Ras El hanout, or a Mexican mix of cumin, garlic, lime, cinamon, tomato puree. Also, incorporate nutritional yeast into everything.

I’d highly recommend the book 'thug kitchen’s for really tasty vegan recipes.

All in all, you will get all nutritional stuff you need, easily.

2 Likes

This has some great recipes, but is also full of amazing info for vegan cyclists:

You’ve got a fair few options on longer endurance rides if the intensity is relatively low, but ultimately everyone’s digestive system is different and you’ll have to try some different things in similar conditions to your race to figure out what works for you. I digest clif bars fine even at higher intensities, but some people find them way too heavy. Likewise just eating gels doesn’t usually sit well with me, though I know that’s most people’s go-to.

I like dried fruit, jam sandwiches, bananas, energy bars/chews, gummy candy (vegan in your case ofc), rice cakes and fig bars.

1 Like

For longer rides I do 30g of carbs every 30 minutes. I start with ~160-180g dates (no pitts) for the first 2 hours, then 2 Cliff Bars for next couple of hours, then gels or stay with the bars.

2 Likes