V02max as percent of ftp

Going back and looking at a full year of data it is becoming clear to me that I should be doing Vo2Max workouts at a higher percentage than TR’s builtin recommendation. I would love to have a feature that would let us tweak up or down that base 120% that is used to calculate the intervals but until that day comes I am okay just changing the percentage.

I am pretty sure one of the regulars once posted a quick cheatsheet thing for calculating what percent you should change a workout intensity to get to a certain % for vo2max like intervals. I am trying to search for it but I cant quite find the right phrase. I think it was part of one of the thread-zillas like more sweet spot or the ISM training one or something making it harder to just dig up. Anyone remember what the hell i am on about?

here you go:

TR Target Intensity in App New Target
120% 100% 120%
120% 101% 121%
120% 102% 122%
120% 103% 124%
120% 104% 125%
120% 105% 126%

So if wanted to increase vo2max interval from 120% to 125%, then in TR app I set Intensity to 104%.

The formula for translating original target to new target is:

• New Target = Original Target * Intensity

and example for 104% Intensity setting:

• 125% = 120% * 1.04

@mcneese.chad probably has a spreadsheet with that baked in.

@IvyAudrain should pass that long to the team for consideration as enhancement, because having to do mental math on the trainer is an odd choice for UX.

2 Likes

this is the one I’ve got saved…

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I hate to say it but it’s very easy to create your own sessions in TrainingPeaks. Everything ends up there anyway.
I am doing the mid-volume base but some of the workouts just down get me into the zones I am looking for. And not just the VO2 and Threshold, Endurance sessions end up in Zone 1.
Why is that?