Unbound gravel race recap

To confirm 60-75%

Yes, 60-75%

1 Like

Yeah, that is not a good recipe for Unbound.

As Cory noted, you should not go above FTP for more th a few seconds. The exception to this would be in the beginning of the race when you are sticking with the main group and you hit a few hills. But even then, you gotta know when to cut the rope and just ride your pace.

1 Like

Easily. Iā€™ll usually put tires on 1-2 weeks in advance.

Sometimes even the day before a big ride (although on a tire/rim combo I know works from prior experience). Although Iā€™m not recommending this!

Main point is thereā€™s a balance. Not too soon where you wear out the tire; but give enough time to fully seat/seal.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fine as long as you take them back off & wait to put them on closer to the race.

You donā€™t want to DK on thin rubber. Use a fresh tire.

2 Likes

@ABG Iā€™ve done that ride in regular coure bibs, a coure skinsuit, and a kit I had custom made in Columbia. Comfort-wise there was no difference between any of those for me. If youā€™re gonna race it youā€™re gonna be uncomfortable at the end no matter what. ;-D

If youā€™re a rider who depends on jersey pockets for food/maintenance storage youā€™ll have to pick your skinsuit wisely. Mine had a couple pockets so it was no prob. If I was gonna DK this year Iā€™d do it in my skinsuit. Thereā€™s no downside (for me) and I know from testing itā€™s quite a bit faster than my bibs.

I am thinking about ordering one seems like bioracer, nopinz, castille, ralph make good kits. I like my assos bibs the most but not sure on there skinsuit. Most speed suits have 2 or 3 pockets. I have done one gravel race in a skin suit in the past and it worked out ok.

Minimal gains items

speed suit ā€“ have not pulled the trigger and my skinsuit is good for only about 50 miles velotech
aero helmet - i have
aero socks - i have
aero gloves?
shoe covers - too warm for those
ridley Kanzo fast - i have, only thing I might change is to a sram cassette and through axles, will also run inserts

Sure, why not? You can pick up some velotoze gloves forā€¦what? Maybe $30? Iā€™ve got a couple pair of those & theyā€™re fine but not as much padding as a typical endurance road glove.

If I was going to pick a bike that would be it.

What tires? I ran gravel king SK on that north route but depending on the weather Iā€™d probably go with the slicks.

Iā€™m running to specialize pathfinder pros with inserts

:man_shrugging: Iā€™m in over my head, there. No experience with (tire) inserts.

That makes two of us

@ABG probably the most important thing you can do for yourself is develop a set of rules for the start of the race. Know ahead of time what the make-or-break data is thatā€™s going to decide whether you try to go with a group or dial it back and join the next group. Pacing that first 20 miles is soooo important.

If youā€™re gonna race for the whole enchilada then itā€™s simple: do whatever you have to in order to stay with the lead group. Otherwise set a 2min avg HR or 5min avg power bogey so that youā€™ve got an objective number to look at and make the decision. Without something like that itā€™s very difficult to dial back the excitement and let a just-a-bit-to-fast wheel go.

Next most important thing: always be communicating with the riders around you. Gather them up. Get them organized. Itā€™s gonna pay off big. Canā€™t tell you how many times I said, ā€˜Want to ride together? Iā€™m not going to pull you around all day but if you want to work with me letā€™s do it.ā€™ The only guy who ever said ā€˜noā€™ is that gravel cyclist guy. He wonā€™t ride with me ever! :wink:

If there are three of you convince them to wait for another two. Always askā€¦stick with other riders. It will make a big difference. Later in the race when you come up on somebodyā€™s wheel donā€™t just hang out thereā€¦let them know youā€™re there & ready to pull through when you can. Everybody gets grumpy towards the end so it helps to communicate.

Swapping pulls with 4 other riders is worth 2x the most expensive equipment you can buy, IMO.

3 Likes

My goal is to build a set of rules for my self in the next 8 weeks. On May 22nd I have a 200k gravel race. This will be my final test prior to Unbound.

This week, I learned that I need to limit time above FTP to be successful. I hope this week to add a 7 hour ride, I am going to limit time above ftp this week and see how I feel.

1 Like

Got my race tires today. Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge Endurance Plus, 700x42. Arundel stainless steel bottle cages came as well, Orange Mud Endurance Pack V3.0 in white should be here tomorrow.

1 Like

I am looking forward to a solid weekend of training.
Quarq on my race bike is acting up, might have to ship that out to be repaired. Glad I have two gravel bikes.

1 Like

Another Saturday, another 100+ miles. 3rd in as many weeks. Happy with how I feel after 126miā€¦could have gone longer, but glad I didnā€™t have to today. IF of .72 and a 16.2MPH avg. Pretty chill day overall, sunny and 60ā€™s. Overfueled at around mile 100, got a bit of race gut but it passed around 110 so then I could try and race the sun home. Wife is making schnitzel and then Iā€™m crashing outā€¦recovery ride tomorrow.

2 Likes

Forgive me for asking ABG, are you in this to try win it? Your training and prep makes you sound legit. Iā€™d never go to the lengths you are so itā€™s interesting to see a winners mindset.

1 Like

My main goal is to make the lead group and hang on as long as I can. Iā€™m pretty big at 200lbs, which hurts my ability to compete in something like this. Seeing Ted kings and Dylan Johnsonā€™s numbers from these rides showed me I donā€™t have ā€œitā€

In 2020 I changed my mindset on my approach to a few things. If you Fail to prepare you have prepared to fail. And this has transferred over to this year. With so much energy being put into the event I want to make sure I donā€™t make some small mistake that will be detrimental that I could have prevented.

Good thing for me, is giving my best will be enough to make me happy.

5am wake up for a 120mile gravel ride today. Going to work on my pacing and limit time above ftp. Also riding with someone who has done unbound a few times so going to ask questions.

2 Likes

Man I got my ass beat today.

Issues

1. Spd pedals need to be loosened. Iā€™m not getting enough float
  2. Road shoes and mountain shoes are both the same shoe, but have different insole in mountain shoe, have blue and need red.
  3. That was 4x longer on one ride then I had worn my mountain shoes previously. I have only worn them a few times.

These small issues resulted in IT band tightness and soreness 5 hours into my 8 hour ride today. Will need to ice and take it easy might bump up my recovery week to get 100%. I had a massage Thursday and was feeling great and no issues on Saturday workout, thought I had gotten on top of the issue.

Good

1. 120 miles, 8hr, 460tss, IF of .76. 12000ā€™ of climbing
  2. Pacing was under control until It wasnā€™t. This route was so hilly half of the 20 hills are 15-20% with loose gravel.
  3. 5 hours of in my own head time and was ok with it
  4. Rode 30miles prior to meeting the group and was quickly able to determine pressure was too low at 32f 35r. Bumped it up to 35f 39r, tyrewiz made this very simple to determine.
  5. Fueling was good. Ran liter bottles with 500cal of homemade mix. Sis gels. Still prob didnā€™t eat enough.

Frustrated
Itā€™s so hard for me to find a gravel course that isnā€™t hilly. Todayā€™s gravel had nothing smooth, just beat me up all day. This ride was less tss then last weeks 6hour ride, but my body is sore, my taint is crushed.

Iā€™m up to 8hrs on a training ride and I have 60 days to be ready and 50days till my 200k race, I Feel like Iā€™m track. 5 of my last 6 weeks are minimal of 800tss. All systems are firing, now to work out shoe and pedal issue.

Can I do unbound on a shimano road cleat?

Thank you for this thread. A stretch goal of mine is to finish an Unbound. This has been very enlightening and Iā€™m looking forward to seeing where it goes.