Well I can’t tell if I’m recovered or just suck.
Raced yesterday. Missed the first two guys getting away 7 miles in. Bridged up to 2-3 moves in the first lap but nothing stuck and I finally understood why after I was told 2 of the 3 largest teams had someone up the road. 2nd time up the largest climb of 150’ on loose gravel I had a mental lapse and was not at the front of the race, and they went full gas and I couldn’t run through the blown apart field and close the 10sec gap half way up the climb that the front guys put on us.
I tried as hard as I could to bridge, but it was not going to happen. The final 20 miles of the race my group of 10 rolled with a decent rotation, a few guys would attack. I was able to put in attacks and get a large gap, but wasn’t able to hold the whole group off. We came into the final .3 of a mile and I choose not to field sprint for 11th. Some people think that’s a dumb Idea, if I was in the lead group, I’m sprinting, being in the 2nd group on the road doesn’t matter to me.
I ended up with .97 IF for the 3 hour race. 20mph on gravel was a pretty good pace. I had a lot of gas left at the end.
So am I out of my hole if I had a .97IF for 3 hours. First 2 hours my NP was above my FTP.
Didn’t expect to see 40min of anaerobic power being utilized.
Is that good or bad since I really haven’t worked that zone?
- Great to be in a large group of people doing a gravel race. Most of my gravel races have been decide by some sort of selection and I have been with a small group of 1-3 for most of the race. It was nice to get back to race craft and move amongst a field.
- Feel much safer toward the outside of the pack, people in the middle can get forced into a bad line or hand off bar while eating/drinking and forced into a large pot hole, and take out a bunch of people.
- Tyrewiz was worth it, someone said I was spraying fluid, I tabbed over on the Garmin and my pressure never dropped, easy way to assess if you might have a small puncture.
- Shimano blue tooth interface buttons with Garmin makes it so you can keep hands on bars at all times, just tab over on the hoods and move the screens. I
- I had one SIS gel, 750cals of bottle mix and 250 cal of cliffblocks, no fueling issues