Unbound Gravel 2021, Race / Ride

I’m guessing finding some cool cyclist to talk to would make it for a cool experience… it will be interesting to see how loud the morning becomes as everyone wakes up at the same time to get ready for the race.

1 Like

So it sounds like a 1 hour drive the morning of isnt that bad.

I have someone coming with me to sag and drive me home

1 Like

My hotel is in Ottawa. Not too far…

Who’s getting in when? I’m driving, will be there Thursday morning/early afternoon depending on how long I sleep in a rest area.

We should all find a way to meet up and do a Friday recon ride.

2 Likes

I’m going to be getting a new gravel bike before then I’m hoping to go to buy I may go one by as there’s an option with a 1x12 system that would be better set up for bike packing that I might consider. vidmate insta save

Good luck
Seems limited supply

1 Like

beat me to it…goona be hard to find one, especially if you are in the bell curve of sizing.

1 Like

Windy solo century today. 100.65 miles, 2054ft elevation, 6:11 for a 16.2MPH average. IF was. 71, NP was 192W. Fueled good, paced good. Nice to challenge myself mentally with the 11-15MPH winds.

Recovery ride tomorrow.

5 Likes

When do they release the gps file of the course?

Typically in the last few days before the race…they keep it secret as long as possible. Rumors will emerge in the weeks ahead, but no GPS until ~ 1 week before the race.

1 Like

That s my understanding as well. They don’t want people pre-riding the course since some of it might go through private land. You can find some of the previous DKs GPX files online…

1 Like

thanks guys
I looked at a few prior courses and it looks like 200 miles and 10k’ of climbing give or take a 1k’ of climbing. Im not increasing distance on gravel and wanted to make sure I was getting it somewhat close and not selling my self short in my training.

I watched their FB Live yesterday. They stated there will be no private roads this year, and they plan to release the course May 1. Typically it is the week before the event to discourage riders from trying to ride on private land.

1 Like

Awesome
Thanks

For distances 100 and under, the courses are the same as 2019. For 200, there was a small change from the 2019 route before the first stop (sounded like Alma?) but it was “97-98%” the same. XL was described as “dramatically different.” (This from a virtual meetup with Unbound folks a couple of weeks ago.)

1 Like

I found this route for 2019 DK100… unfortunately, all the other distances have been deleted.

1 Like

I did end up finding the 2019 DK 200 Route…

I doubt that for 2021 they will use exactly this route.

Don’t forget the wind. Many say that’s the hardest part.

Head wind on gravel will feel so slow. Almost like your in soft sand just zapping power and playing tricks on the mind.

Is there any way to prepare for this other than mentally preparing for it by knowing certain stretches will just have to take longer?

Mentally preparing. Plus being able to ride comfortably for long stretches in a more aero position. The latter is something I have difficulty with.

2 Likes