Training for a 200 mile event

What would be the best eay to train for a 200 mile race that has a lot of climbing? I have been using mostly sweetspot work. I also need to encorporate more long outdoor rides into my plan. Is there a good way to integrate those with my trainer workouts. Thanks.

There are many varied opinions on this…many are going to recommend volume, including long rides outside and others are going to say you don’t need that and you can substitute SS with the occasional long ride to test nutrition.

Personally, I fall into the volume camp. SS stuff during the week can be great, but volume is key.

Is your event a road event or gravel? Especially for gravel, you should focus on hours and not miles when it comes to your longer rides. Doing 100 miles on the road is a lot different than 100 miles on gravel. Focus on longer rides that begin to approach (but not match) your event length in time.

Most critical is to focus on your pacing and nutrition. Nailing those two elements will make the biggest impact on the success if your event.

Good luck!!

2 Likes

This is a road event. It’s in the Texas Hill Country. It’s the Texas Challenge Stampede 200. Thanks for the reply!

Two questions come to mind: 1) What plan are you on? Low volume provides a lot of intensity, and 2) Where are you? Do you have flexibility in riding outdoors in the winter?

I live in New England. Between weather and life, I can usually get one weekend a month outside during the winter. A second weekend would be a bonus.

I’m on the low volume plan but am also thinking about tackling a 200 mile ride as well. For me, it will be a ride, not a race. I’ve been considering the same questions. I think @Power13 has covered all of the bases. I’m starting to think that making the event a priority is the key and then utilize the training time that comes your way each week. I’d be interested in comparing notes with you.

Performance on long events like this, especially when there are lots of climbs, is often determined by fatigue resistance.

The person who can do 20min @ 90% of their 270w FTP after being on the bike for 10h, will do better than the other person who can only do 70% of their 340w FTP for that last 20min climb.

Increasing FTP is still useful. But the advice you often get here completely ignores the importance of fatigue resistance, hence why I’m pointing it out.

Long rides, higher volume, doing intervals later into your ride, etc.

If you can ride your bike for 100miles, you should be able to complete 200miles. But if you want to be competitive, you will need good fatigue resistance. You will probably be competing against people like me who ride 200miles because it’s a nice day out, before they go to work.

3 Likes

I’m in Texas and have outdoor options all the time. I’ve done 200 miles 3 other times but have never given what I thought was my “best effort”, which is why I’m very focused. The race is April 1st.

Some good training advice over at the California Triple Crown website:

http://caltriplecrown.com/training.htm

after the basics it also includes info on training to do a fast double. I followed many of the guidelines and had a great day and good pace back in May 2017. Started in October and by March I was already flying on the 2 hour rides. Mostly trained outside, plus some spin classes when it was raining. My fatigue resistance has never been higher, hoping to repeat that in 2023.

1 Like