TrainerRoad - what do users expect / want in the future

No, AT handles it. I thought about this a bit though and maybe? Wouldn’t be super hard to do.

No, we don’t have that option.

Good idea.

How difficult the plan is for you. Like how likely you are to finish it.

1 Like

No, we haven’t done that. We just do iterations internally, and then on the bigger projects we invite a few athletes to use it for a while before we go to early access.

1 Like

Yes, this is a “time off” scenario and we’d like to address it after the above stuff is done.

Same thing with onboarding.

The idea is that we tell someone that we’re going to set their FTP a little lower than it might be, but dial them in via Adaptive Training over a few weeks.

We should be able to tell the athlete how many weeks it will take based on how much data.

IE: Low data - Low confidence: It will take 6-10 workouts to dial you in.

Medium data/Medium confidence: it will take 3-4 workouts to dial you in.

I’d much rather start 20 watts lower, then jump ahead in progression levels faster, than start with an “all out” sweet spot workout.

7 Likes

@Nate_Pearson Given all the grief you allude to related to features announcements, would TR ever consider some type of external-facing product roadmap? You know, toss the animals a bone every now and then.

Here’s just one example:

https://portal.productboard.com/mimestream/1-mimestream-roadmap/tabs/4-planned

EDIT: To be fair, you’re kind of de-facto doing that here in the thread (TY). Maybe park it somewhere so when people start asking again in 2 weeks, they’ll know where to go.

In this case, the options under Plan Difficulty really don’t seem to align. E.g., what does “Maintain” mean in the context of how easy / hard TR thinks it will be for me to complete the plan? Same with “Breakthrough”? “Easy” & “Stretch” seem to align with this.

With this extra info, it sounds more like you are talking about “Completion Prediction” (or words to that effect). This is TR “Prediction” of how likely or not you are to complete the plan based on your training history.

Thanks for the kind words!

We’ve been doing onboarding calls with athletes and learning a lot. One issue we have is that plan builder is too focused on having to have an event. You don’t HAVE to have an event, but it makes it seem like you do.

There’s a big group of people that want to train, but aren’t aiming for a single day.

So we’re changing the first steps of plan builder to be like this.

(not final copy of course)

For the bottom choice.

And for the race/event flow, we’re going to have you first pick the race/event you are making a training plan for.

We’re also going to ask you what the terrain and distance are so we can better build you a plan.

31 Likes

Perfect!

2 Likes

That sounds like Training with a capital T :-D. But yes, you’d be able to do this with the new plan builder.

6 Likes

We should just live stream product meetings :-D. Then listen to the chat as people tell us how to improve.

14 Likes

You can do that! Click on the phase name at the top of the calendar

Then you can go in and change the volume or plan block for that period! :smiley:

So you could go low->mid->high through each plan block if you wanted (not recommended)

2 Likes

Yes, it will be based on training history.

But if you did MV 4 years ago, then haven’t been training, it shouldn’t recommend mid volume right away.

3 Likes

So my anniversary/resubscription date is tomorrow. I was actively following this thread to help me think through re-upping vs saying goodbye given all the discussion about things wanted/“promised” and then delayed – plus limited communication other than “we’re working on it as a top priority”. I was truly on the fence – not hopeful as I wanted to be about what TR will deliver, but also thinking about the value of my legacy pricing…

@Nate_Pearson, the last 24 hour of your posting here has just retained a customer. Looking forward to master’s plans and the other items coming up soon.

11 Likes

I do not expect major support for non-cycling activities, but it would be nice if you could show various non-cycling activities in the calendar and calculate the hrTSS (similar to what you added for running). Personally I do XC Skiing in the winter and the added strain of say 200-400 hrTSS in a weekend is important for planning of cycling activities.

4 Likes

Great it’s all working out for you. Looking forward to seeing the changes.

Tiny Pulse is cool because it’s anonymous. It can be hard for employees to say something negative about their boss/ceo.

But lucky for us, people on the forum seem to have NO PROBLEM speaking “truth to power” about what they like and don’t like about TR :-D.

Really the most valuable thing we’ve done recently is allow new athletes to schedule onboarding calls. We record them and summarize the data to see what’s confusing about our product.

Its so helpful to just watch real athletes walk through the product.

29 Likes

In regards to how long your race is - seems like estimated finish time would be more meaningful that distance. Is it a 100 mile race on road, gravel, or mountain, That is going to change the finish time signifcantly. Fitness is going to have a big impact as well. My finish time for 100 miles may be 5:00 hrs and others in the same race may be 8 hrs.

3 Likes

now we’re talking

That’s exactly what I mention would be VERY NICE

1 Like

As a new user, I had been using Training Peaks for my training along with Wahoo Systm. My ftp is 305 per tests and Intervals.icu results. It’s remained proper when comparing my heart rate to training zones. However, TrainerRoad’s AI FTP detection wanted to give me 273 as my ftp and downgrade all my future planned rids to ~30min when I’ve been doing 2+hr rides. That right there killed the legitimacy of the AI FTP detection for me. I’d rather stick to ramp tests and workout analysis to know where my levels need to be at. Relying too much on AI to dictate your training, I feel, is a great way to plateau and I don’t trust it.

After AI FTP detection tried to bring my ftp down 30 points I cancelled my subscription so it doesn’t auto-renew at the end of the month. We’ll see what happens between now and then but I don’t think it’s able to properly analyze workouts done outside or through any other platform so it’s skewing the numbers for people who do “outside” rides.

1 Like

You don’t have to use AI FTP, you can do a ramp test, or 8 min test, or 20 min test, or actual 1hr power. I guess if AI is your only reason for using TR then I get it, but it seems like an easy solution if you’d rather stick to ramp tests - just do a ramp test?

7 Likes

You don’t have to accept the AI FTP and you can use other ways of determining it like the ramp test or the 20 minute test. You can also set it manually to the same value as in SYSTM.

5 Likes