TrainerRoad Outside Workouts Now Push to Garmin Edge 🎉

FWIW the TrainingPeaks-Garmin integration is working because I made minor changes to a workout before leaving, and it synced immediately to my 530.

I just did a test scheduling an outside workout in TR and it came through okay to my 530 once I opened GC on Android, appearing in Training Plans rather than Workouts.

If you haven’t done so already, maybe it would be worth disconnecting and reconnecting Garmin in Ride Sync

Yeah, not clear to me how TR workouts get to my 1030 in a timely way. TR support recommended selecting outside workout on the web app vs desktop to eliminate one component of syncing. Did that, and the workout showed up on my Garmin Connect Web page shortly… Tried syncing through Garmin Express, saw my 1030 connecting to my wireless network and I see the workout on my GC Android app, but nothing has come over to the 1030. Frustrating when things done work consistently… or predictably.
Open to suggestions…

Edited: Should be obvious to me, but if the TR workout is on both GC online and on my Android app then it’s a Garmin-Garmin sync issue and TR appears to be getting the data to Garmin quickly.

Yes, this sounds like a Garmin issue rather than TR.

I have to force my 520+ to sync with GC on my android phone in the GC app itself. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts but does it eventually.

I get this occasionally with my 520: select the outside option; TR shows as pushed to Garmin Connect (confirmed by looking at that website); wait half an hour; make sure my phone is in range; turn on 520; usually it shows up after the “phone connected” message with a “download complete” message.

Sometimes the phone doesn’t get connected or the download doesn’t happen, I reboot the 520 and it usually finds it the second time.

Matterhorn is also still saying “no outside option” can we get that one fixed? thanks!

@IvyAudrain - Maybe a slight bug in the outdoor version of San Pedro - https://www.trainerroad.com/app/cycling/workouts/998007-san-pedro - the text states:

Main Set:

• 4x8 minutes at threshold with 5 minute rests between each interval.

However I got to the last interval and the timer on my head unit gave 12 minutes :astonished: I may have pressed the lap key incorrectly but the target power screen on my unit (Garmin 520) showed I should be aiming for threshold and I started it at around the right time in the workout. Here’s the workout file - https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/107502458-san-pedro - I think I followed everything correctly.

Hmm… the only thing I can think of is that the final ‘interval’ of that workout is 12 minutes, but not near FTP as you said, so something may be amiss.
Do you mind reaching out to the team at support@trainerroad.com so they can better look at your internal ride log and see what’s up?
Sorry for the trouble and thanks in advance!

Hi. Found a small bug today: Mansfield +1 is 5x5’ intervals. However, the workout that got pushed to my Garmin only had 4 intervals. See photo. Thanks!

Hi, I’m having a bit of an issue with workouts being pushed to my Garmin Edge 1040.
I have both a Garmin Edge 1040 which I use on the bike, and a Garmin Forerunner 55 which I use for running/walking, etc.

Basically, I have outside workouts selected in TR, but it seems to push the workouts to my Forerunner, and when it does, it doesn’t also push to my Edge. So when I go to do my workout, it doesn’t appear in my Edge, yet appears on the Forerunner. Similarly, I am getting running workouts that aren’t being pushed to the Forerunner either.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to specify which workouts go to what device, but so far haven’t found anything. Anyone encounter anything similar?

I think the training plan not syncing is a bug right now, is the workout there if you go into workouts?

What you’re experiencing is likely a matter of Garmin Connect prioritizing one connected device over the other, as the workout is successfully making it from TrainerRoad to Garmin Connect.
Syncing outdoor workouts consists of two different sync process: one from TrainerRoad to Garmin Connect, the other from Garmin Connect to your device. Given that the workouts are successfully syncing from TrainerRoad, we can focus on some Garmin Connect oriented solutions to help you out!

When you workout successfully pushes from TR to Garmin Connect but not to your device like you’re experiencing, you can manually navigate to your connected devices in GC and push “Sync” to push the workout to your Garmin Edge.

You may need to do this if the Edge is turned off while you’re trying to sync. You can try that manual sync (easiest approach) or try the following to reprioritize the Edge connection over the Forerunner.

Once you turn on the Edge and allow it to connect to Garmin Connect, close out of the GC app and reopen it to ensure the ride syncs to the head unit. That way, the forerunner isn’t being ‘prioritized’ by GC by being the nearest device that is on + close by if a sync attempt happens while your head unit is off.

Finally, regarding scheduled runs being pushed to Garmin Connect for completion the way you’d see on a head unit: that’s not a functionality we currently support, although we’d like to work in that feature as soon as we’re able!

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be glad to help out.

Hi @IvyAudrain and everyone,

I’ve just watched the video on YouTube regarding outside workouts on Garmin 30 series devices and @Jonathan mentioned that on some long interval/long rest workouts you have to press “Lap” to start each interval. Is there a way to tell which workouts this is for?

I haven’t done any outside workouts before but am looking at trying some in the next wee while and pressing Lap seems ideal for me.

You can review the structure in Garmin prior to executing.

Also, if there is a gap in the graph that also indicates a “lap press to proceed”.

1 Like

Cool, thanks. But no way to tell if that gap is there before sending to Garmin?

Unless something changed recently, unlike TrainingPeaks there is no way to review/edit a workout before TR sends to a head unit.

2 Likes

All of the outdoor versions should have appropriate “press lap to proceed” before work intervals unless it’s something like vo2 or anaerobic that requires a specific rest interval. There are some that are missing that break but it only takes a minute to email support for them to fix it

1 Like

Unfortunately no.

I love the outdoor wo’s, but I still have two big issues with this.

1. I commute every day and this auto association is driving me nuts. My commutes are 35-45 minutes and without a power meter. But TR insists on associating my commutes with a scheduled wo. Even today I added a workout after i commuted, and it still associated! Subsequently it bumped my VO2-max as if I did the effort. So what happens if I fail the workout? Or I have to re-schedule or delete due to “life”? It should be able to switch off the auto here. I know this has been raised earlier. @IvyAudrain any status on this?

2. I would like to see the % in addition to the actual watts in the description. I might be a single case here, but for my training log I would like to record if the wo was 100% FTP, 105% FTP etc. If I go back a year and see that I did say 320 watts for 5 minutes it’s not clear what % of FTP that was. It gets even worse if the % varies through the wo…

Hey! I’ll reiterate this feature request to the team (see also: Feature request: stop auto associating workouts to outdoor rides), but there’s no update on this feature request at this time.

I want to make sure you saw this workaround for your commute + workout conflict as well from that thread.

You’ll still want to have your rides scheduled for indoors, but you’ll also want to schedule ‘other’ bike activities for the days you do commutes. you can set this as a recurring activity if you consistently do the commutes, or you’ll need to add them on the days you do commutes before you actually do the commute. So you’ll have an “other” bike activity scheduled and you’ll also have an indoor workout scheduled.
After the commute is completed, it’ll sync into TR and auto associate with the planned “other” bike activity.
At that point, you can then switch the indoor workout to outside. Once the outside workout is complete, it should sync and auto associate to the planned outside workout.

Perhaps not the simplest solution for now, but I will be sure to pass this feedback along to the team again for consideration.

I want to better understand the type of past-ride view you’re looking for here so I can more effectively communicate this as a feature request to the team (or direct you to a resource we have in place that may already do this!).
Are you just referring to post-workout view of what was assigned in terms of intensity? Or are you referring to a view of what was actually completed in your workout (ie 100% FTP was assigned but you rode at 106%).
Let me know!

Thanks for the reply Ivy. I’ve seen the suggested workaround, and it’s a bit of a hassle. I frequently wait until I’m about to do the outside wo before I switch to outside. But yesterday it even git associated with my morning commute that was done before I changed. And actually yesterday “life happened” so I couldn’t do my wo. Because of the association my VO2 PL increased without me actually doing the work. Not on a plan right now so not a big deal, but it is very annoying. One of my favorite features with TR is the flexibility (moving in calendar, alternates!, etc.), but this is really a bug I think needs solving.

In regards to the other point I might be the only one wanting this, but I’ll try to explain. For sake of example I just picked a random wo from Train Now: Izaak Walten -4. When changing to “outside” I get the following description:

I know the wattages are based on my FTP, but I have to go back to the inside wo to see what % the values actually are. Since this text is personal there must be a % in the background, it’s just not displayed visually. Some quick Paint-skillz to show what I would like to see:

There is also the issue that when looking at the ride there is no direct link to the source wo. I checked both web and mobile (Android). It states which wo it’s associated with, but I cannot click on this. So after my ride I need to search the wo name, go into the “inside” description and read what the intervals are. Then re-name.

So ideally I would like to open the ride in the calendar, click on the associated ride, and then get the description. And both before and after the ride I would like to see the % in addition to the actual wattage as shown with my magic Paint skillz :grinning: