Trainer saddle sore vs Outside saddle sore

Am I the only one?
I’ve used the same saddle for years. Outside, I can go 5-6 hours with this saddle and not be bothered at all. I sit on it for 1 hour-1.5 hour stretches without getting up once. I do 3 hour non-stop rides where I coast downhills and that’s my only “break” no issues with saddle sore.

Inside though, on the trainer, One hour gets painful at the end on the same bike, setup, saddle etc. 1.5 hours is REALLY painful some days. I wonder if sweating more has to do with it?

One other theory I have is that the speed and wind lifts you ever so slightly that you have less weight on the saddle. It might be in my head but just a thought…

Anyone have similar experience?

Existing discussion:

I also cover the wind resistance aspect in my Rocker Plate thread:

• I address the lack of wind by lifting the front end 1-2" [25-50mm] to give a slight weight shift, somewhat like I think exists from the wind outside. This trick does not work for everyone, but many that I have shared it with like the results.

Yes. It’s a combination of sweating more (even with a fan), not getting up as often as on the road, and having a static bike. So the fixes are fans, getting up regularly, and a rocker plate.

1 Like

I heard something sort of interesting related to that from the Vegan Cyclist Instagram feed. He’s doing a “train like a pro” stunt for a month which has him doing 20 hour weeks and he’s stuck inside because of the weather.

Anyway, he has a (free) Wahoo Climb and he’s using it basically as a way to move around his pressure points. If he gets a little uncomfortable, he’ll just crank the climb up or down.

That sounds like it might be a decent use of the Climb beyond just simulating Zwift hills.

Also make sure your trainer setup is level left/right. I had some issues where I was getting saddle sores on one side, and it was partly due to my saddle not being level.
Adding a simple rocker plate has greatly increased comfort.

1 Like

I use my Climb in the same basic way. I will keep it at the normal (front slightly up) position most of the time.

Then I change it and increase it for some efforts, in an aim to match the pitch I would see with that related effort / power. Works good and is something to keep me engaged.

If you use BLE connection, you can allow TR to control the pitch of the Climb. It is mapped directly to the % of FTP:

I tried it and didn’t like the mapping, so I just control manually to the pitch and timing that works for my needs.

I do agree though, that the ability to alter on the bike during workouts is a nice feature. Not sure I’d pay the price just for training. But since I also spend a fair bit of time on Zwift group and fondo rides, the live use of the Climb works for me there too, and makes it more justifiable in my budget.

If we may, let’s use the term “saddle soreness”.

“Saddle sore” is a colloquial term for what’s basically acne in the nether regions.

While reasons for soreness are numerous, the rigid nature of a stationary trainer is perhaps the largest contributor. Anyone who’s ridden a tandem can probably attest. Even with an otherwise identical bike fit, a tandem has significantly more inertia (2X the bike weight + the weight of the 2nd rider) and suddenly your comfy setup isn’t so comfy anymore.

2 Likes

Discomfort is one of the biggest issues with indoor cycling.

Shameless plug but I recently surveyed over 100 cyclists (Zwift and Sufferfest users mostly) what their biggest problems were.

Saddle discomfort came out as one of the top issues. Some of the others included sweat, boredom etc. Here’s the post if anyone is interested.

Basically, I think we have to approach indoor cycling differently to outdoor. That means different kit, saddles, etc. Yes, more cost, but it is different to riding outdoors.

1 Like

Glad to see a mention of rockers. :smiley:

Comfort is the main reason we see people adding a rocker plate. The group is nearly unanimous that adding a rocker plate increases comfort. Even a minor amount of stiff movement is better than rigid in my saddle pressure testing, and overall user feedback.

1 Like

Tiniest saddle height adjustment (going tiny bit lower. like a mm) and raising the front wheel helped greatly since I posted this!

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try that myself and add it in to the post. Although like McNeese says, rockers are probably the way to go.

I guess ultimately this is why Zwift, Wahoo etc, are building stationary bikes.

I’m sure rockers would help. For my setup, pretty impossible however :slightly_frowning_face:
(tiny apartment where I move trainer matte, trainer, fan, bike etc every time I wanna ride which is already too much work lol)

2 Likes

For some people, even using a thicker foam mat under the trainer has been able to help. Just adds a bit of float vs being on a hard floor. Might be able to find one that is double duty for sweat control and helps with comfort too.

2 Likes

sweat control… now that’s something i definitely need :slight_smile:
dual laskos and i still make a puddle :rofl:

1 Like

I’m having some saddle issues myself. My current saddle, don’t know if it’s just worn out or what but feels like I’m sitting in it instead of on it, even though it does have a cut out. Currently have the Specialized Phenom 155mm (https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/saddles/specialized-phenom-pro-saddle-review/). Outdoors feels okay. Completed a metric century on it 2 years ago. Indoors, not fun.

Our gym spin bikes had something like this and for some reason felt 100% more comfortable indoors for 1-2 hour rides (https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/saddles/specialized-phenom-pro-saddle-review/)

I want to make a change but not sure what to do. How risking would getting a demo saddle be with the current virus issue?